GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Appreciating my GTI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I never really get bored with my GTI, it's still as much fun after 38,000 miles (if not more) than the day I got it, but sometimes you really realize what an awesome car it really is once you spend some time in something less than great.

One of my good friends asked me to be one of his groomsmen this weekend in Vernon, NJ so my wife and I flew up to Allentown, PA rather than driving from SC. I kinda thought about renting something different like a C7 Vette, but the dude at the rental counter was an idiot so I stuck with the Focus I originally had reserved just to get out of there asap.

So for three days we were stuck driving a shitbox base model, fire engine red Focus sedan. The seats were terrible, which was my wife's first complaint being several months pregnant. Of course my first complaint was how gutless the thing was. I know, go figure right. You shouldn't have high expectations for a economy rental car, but to top it all off it couldn't match my gti gas mileage. Even driving very conservatively it only averaged 30.7 mpg. I figured in trade for being a turd it would at least get closer to 40mpg to make up for lacking everywhere else.

As for the area, it really made me miss my GTI. Tons of curvy smooth backroads (also plenty of not so smooth ones too, but hey it's the NE). The over sprung, confidence crushing suspension and brakes that make my 1993 Jeep seem impressive had me cruising at the speed limit or less like a true out of towner.

So to sum it up if your latest mods have lost their thrill, or the car is blending into your daily Groundhog Day grind just drive a tank of gas through something else and it'll feel like a race car all over again. I haven't even done a WOT pull since I've been home, didn't even need to to have the satisfaction of 3x the hp on tap ha. Maybe next time I'll go for the Vette

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Nice... anytime I'm in a friend's car or something, I always miss my GTI.

armedferret

Ready to race!
It's got crappy mileage for the same reason lots of gutless cars do....you have to rev the hell out of it to get it up to speed in any semblance of a reasonable amount of time, so the fuel consumption plummets. my dad has a (2013ish i think?) focus that, once he's cruising on the highway, does pretty well. Getting there, though....yikes.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Rented a Chevy Cruise back in June. Thought I was going to lose my mind with the gutless performance! From afar, I always thought the Cruise looked "OK" for a cheap econo box for the masses. But once I saw one close up and drove it for a week, I could then see what a POS it really was. The cheap plastic etc. on the inside, horrible. The worst part is, if you look at the ratings on many sites, they rate them about the same as the Golf and GTI. For example, on US News and World Report, the interior is rated as 8.5 for the Cruise, Golf and GTI. Are the folks at JD Power and others rating these cars while smoking crack? LOL
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-cars

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
I appreciate it right up until the point I have to drive home from work and it's been baking in the sun and it's close to 100 out. The AC is not nearly as good as the Saab (a car built in a country that is frozen half of the year). Figure that one out.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I appreciate it right up until the point I have to drive home from work and it's been baking in the sun and it's close to 100 out. The AC is not nearly as good as the Saab (a car built in a country that is frozen half of the year). Figure that one out.

Agreed. Love my car up until I have to use the AC, then I get very annoyed with it.

I had a rental Chrysler 200, biggest pile of shit I have ever driven.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
The AC in my January 2015 build date GTI is better than my March 2015 GTI, but even the march 2015 one works pretty well given a few minutes to get going. Like, when it's 100 degrees outside turning the passenger side vent off and facing both middle vents and drivers side vent towards me i can put it on lowest cold setting and fan setting 3 and i'll be totally comfortable indefinitely. sometimes i even have to turn it down after a bit.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Being in SC it was 94* today on my drive into work. AC could be better but I can't really complain since I haven't switched to Hot Country yet. Either way after a few minutes it's plenty cold to hand 90-100*

F80Dreamer

Passed Driver's Ed
Great topic, the GTI is still new to me but when I came back from a week's vacation it was an awesome feeling to drive it again. Hard for me to explain, but everything just feels "right".

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Yeah, the GTI is so right in so many ways. When my wife or someone else gets in, they can't resist reminding me how impressive the car is.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
The notorious VW a/c...did you guys see the Vortex thread on the "hot countries" VCDS hack? It might help.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7974521-2015-GTI-VCDS-AC-quot-Hot-Country-quot
Have had mine set to Hot Country since I pretty much got the car. My SO's Jetta has incredible AC, blows 40F regardless of the ambient temp.

The dual climate system must be better as I have never had an issue with it not getting cold enough fast enough. Normally it gets too cold and I have to set it up on 78-80F.

A friends 17R has much better AC than my 16' S. His will maintain 40F on idle on a hot day where as mine will barely keep 50F. Used the same thermometer, cars were next to each other. Only difference I can see between the GTi and R is that the R has a dual fan setup on the radiator (so does the Jetta), which I am certain it helps pull more air through than one large fan.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
I am nearing three years and 50k miles and it still checks every box for me. Refined sporty and powerful at stage 2. Suspension is tuned great with no need to upgrade. Much better car than my mk6 GTI which required full suspension upgrade to please me.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Absolutely love my GTI, just really bummed the factory TCU programming is such shite :( in college, cannot afford to fuck with my warranty, so its staying for the foreseeable future.