GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Someone just posted another DTR dyno video for a 2021 MK7.5 GTI, APR tune - 411whp/393wtq:

Definitely seems to be a disconnect between the peak dyno figures and real world performance with this kit. Not that the performance is poor by any means, just that the power figures seem to demand more.

My Dragy should be here today, stay tuned for more mediocre 1/4 miles and 60–130s :cool:

Major lack of information on modifications and a before dyno. That car definitely was more modded than just the turbo.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Am I going crazy or is there no intake on this car? haha
i was just looking at that too lol

somewhat related: my buddy used to run his civic without an intake until the turbo sucked in a plug. this was the fix
1657733315765.png

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
i was just looking at that too lol

somewhat related: my buddy used to run his civic without an intake until the turbo sucked in a plug. this was the fix
I didn't know if that was something they did on dynos for some extra flow, but I definitely don't see one in the various angles we see of the bay.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
I think it's weird how obsessed the car community is with saying X power should produce Y time or speed -- and then use that logic to "disprove" claimed power figures. (Not saying you're doing this.) There are so many other variables like spool time, power curve, etc. You can have dramatically different power curves with exactly the same peak HP output.

For example, we shouldn't expect these 3 examples to perform the same, right? Even though they make the same peak/headline power, there are very real differences that would affect performance.

View attachment 255209
View attachment 255210
View attachment 255208
(third one is a just a silly sketch to illustrate an extreme example)
For me it’s just curiosity of wanting to determine where this kit fits within the established “performance spectrum” of Tune > Tune FBO > IS38 FBO > Hybrid FBO > BT FBO built… etc. Not even bringing fueling into the mix (pun intended).

I feel like this kit is pretty unique in terms of being a hybrid turbo but with no bolt-ons, and as a result the power curve is somewhat new to the MQB platform mainstream (“new” in that prior to the DTR most would not have considered running a hybrid turbo w/ stock DP and w/out fueling upgrades).

To me performance so far seems to be relatively on par with IS38 FBO, despite the hp figures dipping into hybrid territory. I guess I’m still looking for someone to buck this determination (i.e. why I got a Dragy).

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
For me it’s just curiosity of wanting to determine where this kit fits within the established “performance spectrum” of Tune > Tune FBO > IS38 FBO > Hybrid FBO > BT FBO built… etc. Not even bringing fueling into the mix (pun intended).

I feel like this kit is pretty unique in terms of being a hybrid turbo but with no bolt-ons, and as a result the power curve is somewhat new to the MQB platform mainstream (“new” in that prior to the DTR most would not have considsred running a hybrid turbo w/ stock DP and w/out fueling upgrades).

To me performance so far seems to be relatively on par with IS38 FBO, despite the hp figures dipping into hybrid territory. I guess I’m still looking for someone to buck this determination (i.e. why I got a Dragy).
Do you think it's the stock downpipe that's throwing people off? They're used to 400hp on this platform coming from a high-flow dp, right? Stock dp changes the power band a bit and slows spool.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Do you think it's the stock downpipe that's throwing people off? They're used to 400hp on this platform coming from a high-flow dp, right? Stock dp changes the power band a bit and slows spool.
Yes, the stock dp is what's throwing people off. Many people already have aftermarket downpipes, and probably spent a pretty penny for them, not including installation costs (if they had a shop do it). To hear APR is coming out with a new turbo and then find out that it's only meant for the stock dp is what caused an uproar imo.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I think you’re spot on. The drag strip time slips posted a few pages back practically mirror my slips as a IS38 FBO (Golf R). It’s hilarious to me the amount of people who believe X hp = X ET’s. Doesn’t work that way.

After keeping up with this thread and seeing the data/time slips posted, this turbo system is not an “upgrade” over an IS38 with supporting mods. Probably sounds cooler though.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ and (should) pass emissions

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Were those FBO IS38 times achieved with aftermarket downpipe?

I think you’re spot on. The drag strip time slips posted a few pages back practically mirror my slips as a IS38 FBO (Golf R). It’s hilarious to me the amount of people who believe X hp = X ET’s. Doesn’t work that way.

After keeping up with this thread and seeing the data/time slips posted, this turbo system is not an “upgrade” over an IS38 with supporting mods. Probably sounds cooler though.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
this turbo system is not an “upgrade” over an IS38 with supporting mods.

^ and (should) pass emissions

Were those FBO IS38 times achieved with aftermarket downpipe?
Probably not. At least that's how I'm reading "with supporting mods." But then again, there are people in this thread not setting readiness completely (at least not as of the last page I read), so right now you might as well have an aftermarket downpipe on there haha.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Yeah my car still wont set readiness. Just gotta find time to drop it off at my local APR dealer for diag.