GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Ultralink - At Home Flash Tuning is Here!

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I don't care about removing TD-1, or VW hiding something, all I care about is know if this reset counter will brick the ECU and exactly what number that is. If its an 8 bit register that number is 255, if its a 16bit register that number is 65,535. Obviously, I think we both know which makes more sense if in fact this is an issue.
I read that as all he cares is it resets the counter so it doesn't brick. That's why I said correct (Agreed).

On Simos 18.x it should be 100.
Considering I didn't ask if it could be reset (obviously you claim it can be reset) and even highlighted in bold asking what the number is, that's a weird take Arin.

So why 100? Please be more specific on how you (APR) came to this number. I know you probably handle some pretty dumb customers daily on the phone, but I assure you many of us here have more than two brain cells and can handle some details. Obviously with a number like 100, its not an internal register issue, at least not how I described. Is this something intentional by VW coded to brick the ECU over 100 writes? How many ECUs did APR brick before discovering what was going on? Why do you think other tuners with development cars haven't run into this same issue? Lets not even mention some of the Simos Tools users who may easily have more than 100 flashes on their ECUs, or perhaps many don't and soon we'll see a wave of Simos Tools users with bricked ECUs.

Sorry about all the questions but....obviously, short answers on a big claim on a "limit" apparently only known to APR requires more evidence than "trust us" and buy our stuff.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
Geeez guys, for the love of...Please leave him alone already with the flash counter limit...

Anyways, I was waiting for this. Great price too for someone looking for a basic flash. I cannot fall into the COBB AP rabbit whole again, endlessly monitoring and logging and worrying and over analyzing...etc, lol.

cb1111

Geeez guys, for the love of...Please leave him alone already with the flash counter limit...

Anyways, I was waiting for this. Great price too for someone looking for a basic flash. I cannot fall into the COBB AP rabbit whole again, endlessly monitoring and logging and worrying and over analyzing...etc, lol.
You work for him?

That IS their claim to fame in this thread

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was excited for nothing.

I still remember when I was waiting for the first MK4 tune to come out. Hardly any dealers then, so I needed to drive 200+ miles round trip to get it. It was great on the way home. The next morning the car had a rough idle on every cold start. I put up with that until they finally revised the tune. Drove ANOTHER 200+ miles for the "free" update. You might want to consider waiting for anything brand new. At least on my MK5 I let the tune mature so I wouldn't have a problem. I wish I did that on my MK4. I would have seen others had the same issue. I wasn't getting the tune for free to be a beta tester.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
You work for him?

That IS their claim to fame in this thread
Is it? It's one of the last bullets and has only been mentioned by Arin when responding to questions by users. It's not really a big feature and APR hasn't claimed it is. I don't know why people are so hung up on it.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
You'll learn.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Is it? It's one of the last bullets and has only been mentioned by Arin when responding to questions by users. It's not really a big feature and APR hasn't claimed it is. I don't know why people are so hung up on it.
Yeah, and I feel kind of responsible because
Is this a TD1 workaround, or simply referring to the Ultralink's flash counter?

e: Arin answered this further on, but to be clear: this isn't the case, you can still get TD1 flag from tuning, this is supposed to address a different issue entirely.
but that was requesting clarification, not to be incendiary. I think in general we've gotten an answer to that question that's sufficient -- no, this isn't a magic TD1 cure-all.

cool that APR now allows for tuning at home, because that's much easier than driving to a dealer.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Arin dropped a bomb and hoped no one would notice, perhaps APR should have left the bullet point out because it literally means nothing? Instead he made a big deal of it. I'm going to begin tuning this year and if Arin is being truthful I'll brick my ECU by year end. So screw me for looking for an answer. 🤷‍♂️
LOL the flash limit is most definitely not 100. It's way higher than that. We have people in DIY group with >2x that.
Yup, on the Simos Tools Users facebook group they all laughed at APR's comments here on a limit bricking the ECU. One user was over 900 flashes a year ago. :ROFLMAO: Many of them are well over 100 @Arin@APR claimed would brick the ECU.

@Arin@APR I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not intentionally lying here, rather have been misled by someone internally at APR or there was a misunderstanding somewhere. I suggest removing that bullet point entirely from the ad as it'll only confuse and quite literally serves no purpose or value to the consumer. I am happy APR finally has a way to upload tunes at home.

Clearly we can put this to bed flash counts alone will not brick your ECU.