GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Making progess but also uncovering more problems. Interior is pretty much done, just need to get a sunroof delete panel and bolt in the roll bar. Installed fresh wheel bearings on my newly painted spindles, and got a tie rod refresh kit from FCP. Inner tie rods were beyond gone.

Discovered my vorshlag camber plate bearings are toast, as well as my brembos. I guess you can say my brakes got pretty f***ing hot. Will need to rebuild them and hopefully the pistons are salvageable. Always something.

The crispy caliper dust boots are pretty normal, the question would be what do the caliper piston seals themselves look like. I’m also curious why the Vorshlag camber plate bearings are gone. They use the beefiest bearing of any other camber plate on the market for our car and should be perfectly capable of taking a beating on track. Have you contacted them about it?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The crispy caliper dust boots are pretty normal, the question would be what do the caliper piston seals themselves look like. I’m also curious why the Vorshlag camber plate bearings are gone. They use the beefiest bearing of any other camber plate on the market for our car and should be perfectly capable of taking a beating on track. Have you contacted them about it?

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Some people are telling me just run without the boots if it's going to see mostly track time.

I've reached out to vorshlag, no reply yet, but I did work with Jason before I ordered them so I'm hoping he gets back to me soon

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Some people are telling me just run without the boots if it's going to see mostly track time.

I've reached out to vorshlag, no reply yet, but I did work with Jason before I ordered them so I'm hoping he gets back to me soon

You could either run without them or do like me and replace them once a year. My car sees quite a bit of street use though, so it may not be worth running them at all if yours doesn’t. Keep us posted on response from Vorshlag.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
how did you tell the bearings are toast on the vorshlags?

re brakes - yep that looks pretty familiar. i've been rebuilding mine every season on the evo. the dust boots just get completely destroyed, half the time they start leaking brake fluid, it's hell

zef

Drag Racing Champion
in regards to brake dust boots getting burnt up -- I've seen some companies that make titanium brake shims that are supposed to block heat from getting to the boots/seals. May be worth looking into. Example here.

I've heard of those as I've seen girodisc make some as well. I'll definitely have to look into that.

I did hear back from Vorshlag today. They gave me an RMA number to send them in. They're blaming improper installation, so I'll see what they say once they receive them. Thankfully its pretty cheap to have them done.

Also working with XLR8 and Eibach on a stiffer set of springs for the R2s. Because they're only $65 a pop I might get a couple sets to experiment with, but going to get a 10k/12k setup and maybe a 8k/9k set as well.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah my brakes look like that at the end of each season too. Rebuilding is cheap and easy so it's just something I plan on doing yearly, just like ball joints etc. Do you have pics of the camber plate bearings being toast?

Also are you re valving the shocks to accommodate the stiffer springs?

Yes absolutely. The logistics of it are going to be tricky and likely expensive but it'll be worth it. I am also seeing if they can install a quick disconnect on the reservoir line so it can give me more mounting options.

Will upload photos later today if I get a chance to swing by the shop. Sold an ass load of parts over the last couple of days and came across a BT turbo kit at a VERY attractive price... so that plan is accelerating a bit faster than I originally planned

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Welp... it's official. Astrid is going BIG TURBO!

Long story short I was almost going to buy a CTS Boss600 kit off of someone that was barely used for really cheap, so I went ahead and sold my KO4. Well, the deal with the BT kit fell through. Seeing as buying another KO4 would be really dumb, I decided to shop around for a big turbo kit. I was torn between a 2867R and a 3071R. I wanted the top end of the 71R but the response of the 67R. In comes the new Garrett G25-660. It's advertised as the successor to the 67R, but flows 12lb/min more. Being that it's a relatively new turbo, nobody has gotten this turbo to work with a VAG car yet that I am aware of...so it's somewhat uncharted territory. Since I was going to have to go with something custom, I decided to approach ForceFed Engineering. After some back and forth, I decided to pull the trigger on their fully custom tubular manifold, which will be v-banded to the new turbo. In addition, he will build me all the necessary charge piping, downpipe, etc to make this work. The hot side, manifold, and downpipe will all be swain coated to reduce underhood temps. I will be going through Stratified for tuning and will utilize their aux fuel kit as well. My goal is 430-440whp on E blend. I will eventually have a single nozzle water meth system (prometh hardware and a torqbyte cm5) that will connect at the bottom of stratified aux fuel pipe for IAT cooling purposes.

The kit will be ready in about 6-8 weeks. During that time I have to get my ass in gear to get this car back together. The plan is to get the car fully ready so that once the kit is ready, I will bolt it on to the motor, throw the motor in the car, and tow the car down to FFE where they will complete the fabrication. So in the last couple of days, I basically ordered everything to get the motor fully refreshed. Timing kit, cam bridge, water pump, new DMFW, all new gaskets, new alternator, belt & belt tensioner, HPFP refresh kit, fuel filter, coils & plugs, an idler pulley to go where the A/C used to be, and gruvenparts A/C and tensioner lightweight pulleys. In addition, I am still waiting for my Verkline tubular subframe and control arms, 034 spherical end links, new & stiffer springs from Eibach for my R2s, my rebuilt vorshlag camber plates, a new APR dogbone to replace my 034, and 034 track mounts to replace my XLR8 mounts. I also ordered APR's DQ500 DSG catch can for the RS3 because I am almost 100% certain it will fit the DQ250 trans.

I've never done really any extensive engine work, so I bought a 2nd motor to "experiment" on. It's likely blown so I got it for cheap, but who knows, maybe I can fix it up and have it as a suitable spare someday.

Since I have a couple of weeks of downtime before all of these parts arrive (thanks corona), I decided to drop the entire rear suspension to take care of some rust. My Hoosiers wore off the finish on my trailing arms, so I wanted to address that as well. I ordered ECS Tuning "beefier" rear shock mounts, and bought a rebuild kit to repair my 034 trailing arm spherical bearings, which after 2 years of track abuse have started to show some wear (my 034 upper control arms and toe arms are still in good shape). I am waiting on some "rust encapsulator" and "extreme chassis black" paint from Eastwood that will turn my rusty rear subframe, trailing arms, and rear lower control arms into brand new. And because what is freshly painted parts without new hardware, I got all new hardware through 1stvwparts which had it for significantly cheaper than ECS/dealership.

Also on the docket I have to finish rebuilding my brembos, which thankfully Zeckhausen was able to source the necessary parts despite the supply chain issues right now with corona.

Finally, I will be refreshing my cooling system. I ordered a spulen coolant hose kit that replaces the black plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold, as well as a forge motorsports coolant hose kit. That basically leaves the heater core hoses. **interesting fact, because I am deleting my SAI, and because I no longer have the factory DSG cooler, I will be converting to the CCTA 6speed heater core hoses. This will eliminate several unnecessary coolant connections that are no longer being used and will decrease the likely hood of leaks down the road. Because I snoozed on buying ECS Tuning's new aluminum radiator, I will be getting a new CSF radiator (OE spec).

Some other things to still button up:
- Going to buy an Innovative Motorsports ECB-1 Gauge, and 2 MTX-D gauges (oil temp/pressure & water temp/voltage). FFE will weld in a bung on the downpipe for the wideband.
- Need to get my hands on some MK7.5 Helix headlights.
- I sold my ED35 bumper and I am torn between going with a R400 bumper or going with a Golf R bumper. Reason for that is the fog wells are much bigger and can more adequately flow air to my DSG & Oil coolers.
- Going to build my own custom catch can setup. More on this later.
- Still have to finish bolting in my roll bar and install my harnesses

That's it for now! Sorry no pictures this time, but will have plenty to share in the coming weeks.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Heh my buddy is running that turbo on his Gti, sorry you aren't the first 😜

He loves it
Awww man, gotta sell the car now 😂😂

Btw that is a gorgeous cam cover. I hope mine turns out that good

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Awww man, gotta sell the car now 😂😂

Btw that is a gorgeous cam cover. I hope mine turns out that good
Are you on stock internals? He's got a fully built engine with fueling kits and is shooting for 500. I have no doubt you'll be able to get to 430 on e30.

And yeah that paint job looked great but didn't withstand the heat very well. The paint cracked a bit and he's probably going to end up doing something different with it.

Reactions: zef

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Are you on stock internals? He's got a fully built engine with fueling kits and is shooting for 500. I have no doubt you'll be able to get to 430 on e30.

And yeah that paint job looked great but didn't withstand the heat very well. The paint cracked a bit and he's probably going to end up doing something different with it.

Yeah stock internals. My thought is that it's cheaper to throw in another stock block and run it then to build a block. I think at the low-mid 400 range the car will be fine with a proper tune.

I'm gonna try VHT wrinkle red. It's high temp but who knows.