GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Mad impressive bro. Been following the build on IG for over a year. Should of figuered this build thread was on here.

• Love
Reactions: zef

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
What flywheel is that?

zef

Drag Racing Champion

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

(y) Looks beefier than the stock LuK, especially the center section that connects to the clutch hub. Is that part aluminum?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
(y) Looks beefier than the stock LuK, especially the center section that connects to the clutch hub. Is that part aluminum?

Not sure, got it from FCP Euro

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Last week, we got the car and everything out of the shop and basically dumped it into piles in my townhouse garage. This weekend, I was able to organize everything! The only tool I had to sell and couldn't make room for was my walnut blaster. I was going to hang onto it to eventually do my fiancé's MK7, but I'll just pay an indy shop to do it when the time comes.

I always used the gladiator stuff and was surprised how hard it was to find. I guess Rubbermaid, Craftsman, and Kobalt are now coming out with their own copy cat versions of it. Had to go to 3-4 stores to get everything I needed.

Of course went to Harbor Freight to get socket & wrench organizers, a shop light (the one hanging above my workbench - nice and bright), and a few other odds and ends.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Added the new APR PEX Intake & Unitronic DV relocation. Also installed my custom inlet pipe so I can run my DV relocation and the vacuum reference for the intake manifold. FFE is going to tap my turbo for n75 vacuum/boost reference.

Also installed all new o-rings in the coolant coupler fittings that attach to the radiator/water pump.

Waiting on my VTA catch can, but aside from that and some custom intercooler piping, the engine bay is done!

Remaining list before car goes to Swoops/FFE:

- Finish wiring PM3 and hook up new TTRS LPFP
- Turn car to accessory and pray to baby jesus when the fuel system pressurizes for the first time in over a year that the new injectors/pump doesn't leak.
- Install FMIC to mock up where to cut rad support for intercooler piping
- Finish wiring innovative gauges
- Optimize oil/dsg cooler locations for optimum air flow...picked up a stock bumper for $50 that I am going to likely cut up...will likely do what Jay did and lay over some lawn edge trimming to optimize aero efficiency.
- Bleed brakes & ABS pump (currently dreading this...)

Remaining stuff to buy:

- Stratified Pro-Tune & Accessport
- Iabed Baffled Oil Pan (accusump will be possibly going up for sale soon unless I can figure out a way to remount it since I've moved everything around)
- Tow Hooks
- Fire extinguisher & roll bar mount
- APR Front Resonator they just released
- Street wheel & tire setup (Hoosiers are going up for sale, class rules require 200tw or higher)

Swoops To-Do list:

-
Sunroof Delete Panel
- Intercooler Piping - I am cutting the radiator support so the pipes will go straight from a 90 off the TR8 straight back...no going around the rad support. This will really shorten up the pipe length, improving response time. It's also going to be 2 pipes and 4 couplers total. No other connections. This will virtually eliminate any frustrations from popping off hose clamps at the track.
- Custom crash bar - to improve air flow & reduce weight
- Custom radio delete panel that will be angled 45 degree towards the driver. This will allow an easy visual to gauges, lap timer, accessport, etc

FFE To-Do list:

- Install turbo, fabricate oil & coolant lines
- R&R lower timing cover, install ARP crank bolt
- Fabricate downpipe w/ wideband bung
- Fabricate dump tube for EWG
- Schedule ~6 hours of dyno time for Alex @ Stratified to remote tune the car during this time

Wish List stuff to be done over the next year:

-
Develop functional aero (have a lot of stuff in the works here, will keep you posted)
- Water methanol (strictly for IAT cooling)
- 4 port solenoid wastegate setup with boost by gear via Cortex EBC (this will be long after I get the car settled and dialed in - something to play with if needed)

1603121479108.jpeg

1603126121336.jpeg

zef

Drag Racing Champion

zef

Drag Racing Champion
After nearly a year of waiting, I'm finally holding in my hands the new turbo kit for Suzuka GTI! I had quite a few people try and talk me out of waiting...'just get an off the shelf kit and call it a day'... but deep down I knew this is exactly the setup I wanted: a very high flowing, extremely well built, externally wastegated system that will reliably (key word) provide a smooth power band with excellent response, all the while not producing an ass load of heat from being tuned way outside its efficiency range (*cough cough* KO4)

I also have a carbon chassis mounted splitter, rear diffuser, & rear spoiler coming from FSPE in California, and the car is at SwoopsBuilt right now getting a custom crash bar fabricated to provide mounting points for the splitter, better mounting points for my oil & dsg coolers (the former of which I upgraded from Setrab to an
Improved Racing unit), and the mounting of my Treadstone TR8L intercooler. Swoops is also installing a custom fan shroud with dual 12" mishimoto fans with their own dedicated fan control harness. Because I deleted my A/C, deleting the factory FCM shouldn't be an issue (I hope). Lastly, Swoops is welding in 6x6 steel plates in the car to provide more secure and safe mounting points for my bolt-in roll bar. Once the car is back from Swoops, the car will head back to Connecticut where I will install the new Nostrum High Performance Big Bore HPFP & Injectors, an Iabed baffled oil pan, wire up my Innovative gauges, install the turbo & manifold, hook up the N75, and then tow the car back to
FFERacing to have them put the finishing touches on: oil & coolant line plumbing, fabricate a downpipe & dump tube, and a full timing refresh.

Once the car is up and running the master himself Alex Gutica from Stratified Automotive Controls will be working in coordination with Nostrum to get the car fully tuned on ethanol. Excelerate Performance will have their dyno up and running by that time, and we'll be able to get a lot of the basic refinements done and out of the way very quickly.
After that, before the car sets a tire on track, we'll be headed to Autosport Fabrication in CT for a full corner balance, safety inspection, harness install, and a track alignment to dial in the new Verkline tubular subframe & control arms. Peter is one of the best cage builders around and is probably the only person I trust when it comes to safety and car setup.

THANK YOU to the companies who have come on to support me and the 2021 track season: FS Performance Engineering, Nostrum High Performance, and Stratified Automotive. Building a dedicated time attack car is hard, expensive, but so rewarding. Looking forward to a very fun and active 2021 time attack season!

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
^ What kinda whp are you expecting? When is the AWD swap? :cool: