GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi discontinues manual gearbox for S4 and S5 in Europe

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
boourns......

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The DSG is superior to a manual in every way...
Ferrari went away with and no one complained...

kniteshift

Ready to race!
I think some people just like the feel of manuak shifting. Sportstronic doesn't cut it for some people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
I love DSG but I also love manual. Sadly the manual tranny is slowly going away in most cars. So good new is the Porsche is now offering a 7 speed manual trans so based on that there will be some manufacters that will continue to offer it.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

but I loves teh manuals.

But seriously, I remain wary of the long-term reliability of the DSG transmission, which is one of the main reasons I did not get it.

McQueen77

Banned
oh noes, McQueen is going to be pissed! hahaha

Hahahaha. Thats funny. I've got a rep now.
Ah, makes sense. I'm sure I could get plenty comfortable in an S-Tronic-only S4. Don't think I'd be complaining a whole lot.
Cars are profit driven like anyone else and they finally made a transmission so good that it could turn even the most diehard purists. If they are only gonna sell a few MT cars, why even make them? Aint no thang. I would think though that they'd be able to sell them in Europe. Auto only in the US makes perfect sense to me.. Oh well.

Last edited:

Tecni

Ready to race!
In Europe?? I would imagine they'd do away with auto. I spent a month out there and never saw a single automatic car.

ma-bo-

Ready to race!
Wow, that truly sucks.
If they ever stop making manuals, then I'll stop buying new cars I guess.
My wife tried to persuade me into an auto this time (she knows how to row, just lazy) but I said absolutely not. I just enjoy using both hands and both feet when driving too much to give that up. I'll consider an auto (or DSG) when I'm disabled.
I don't care how much faster the DSG shifts compared to manual - how useful is that on the street? And I can't remember the number of times push-starting the car has saved me from calling the tow truck in the past. Always confuses and surprises kids that have never seen it done before. lol

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
It was just a matter of time...
Caburator vs. fuel injection,even direct fuel injection..
Solid axle vs.ind.suspension
Manual vs. automatic
Automatico vs. DSG
Shocks to struts to coils
Eventually only cheap crafted and exclusive cars will retain the 6 manual gears in some worldmarkets.I remember Enzo Ferrari's statement " only if i'm dead i would see an automatic Ferrari",Voila',the guy is dead.

yada22

Ready to race!

especially in the maintenance category! just look at all the issues and higher costs of maintenance of our GTI's DSG.

plus i just love the feel of 3 pedals and needing two hands to drive!

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion

cause not everyone drives a ferrari :iono:

if you want to bond with your car then 6 speed is the way to go. I chose a 6 speed for this very reason. I also chose to install everything myself so i can again bond with the car and understand how it runs. getting a DSG is like having someone else do the work for you... where's the pride in that