GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto Insurance; who's the cheapest?

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
i understand there are many factors to take into account. my ins literally doubled the day geico found out i had moved to nj with no change in my driving record.

an agent, for auto ins? never thought of that but wouldn't the commission they make offset the amount i'd be saving anyway? im not a homeowner so its not like i could get a package discount or something. i guess you could say im an agent noob, but i will most def look into it.

Get-a Trek

Ready to race!
If you have been with a certain company for a while, it will be hard to get a better deal, unless you sacrafice coverages,

Heard you should shop around every 5-6 years. Once you are hooked, the rates keep going up. So this is not true?

I was with USAA for about 25 years. No tickets, no accidents, no claims. Even paid for my windshield replacements out of pocket. I got sideswiped a few years ago. I was not cited by the police. His insurance company did not declare I was at fault. USAA decided I was at fault and cranked up my rates.

Really pissed me off. So I refinanced my house with another mortgage company, paid off and closed out my credit card, and transferred my two cars, and car insurance.

Sure, it didn’t hurt them any. But it sure made me feel alot better. Plus everything I swapped into was better APR and cheaper rates.

Each renewal, All State keeps climbing higher and higher. Even though nothing has changed on my record, and the value of my vehicles have depreciated. Time to shop around again.

Chris@RT

Banned
i understand there are many factors to take into account. my ins literally doubled the day geico found out i had moved to nj with no change in my driving record.

an agent, for auto ins? never thought of that but wouldn't the commission they make offset the amount i'd be saving anyway? im not a homeowner so its not like i could get a package discount or something. i guess you could say im an agent noob, but i will most def look into it.

It went up because you moved to NJ had nothing to do with the company you were with, NJ on average has the highest insurance in the nation. Insurance is pretty crazy living on one side of street or another can change your insurance by 50% at times if they are just two different towns.

In NJ all policies must go through an agent. Even if you do it online the policy ends up being written by an actual agent licensed in the state of NJ.

Chris@RT

Banned
Heard you should shop around every 5-6 years. Once you are hooked, the rates keep going up. So this is not true?

You should shop around every year, insurances companies aren't giving you loyalty benefits they are just hoping you stick around since it is easier. Everytime your policy is coming up you should be shopping.

The only advantage to stick with one company would be if you were going through an actual agent and dealing with them face to face at times. My family was with all state for years home and auto. When we got new cars we never had to go for inspections, he didn't open his mouth when he knew my brother and I were well over the age to still be on my parents policy. He knew very well that I was the main driver on my mk4 but we had it listed as my dad and me driving a rabbit diesel, that's when an agent can help.

I was with USAA for about 25 years. No tickets, no accidents, no claims. Even paid for my windshield replacements out of pocket. I got sideswiped a few years ago. I was not cited by the police. His insurance company did not declare I was at fault. USAA decided I was at fault and cranked up my rates.

You need to get your insurance company a copy of the accident report. All they have access to is that you were involved in an accident that had an insurance pay out. The system doesn't show who was at fault or anything like that. I had this happen, i was sideswiped in my A3, a year or so later it showed up on my insurance that I was in an accident. I called esurance and they said all it shows to them is that my license number was related to an accident with a payout. I had a copy of the police report I faxed it over and my rates were adjusted within an hour. When I switched to Geico it showed up as well, I live in a town that splits counties so I couldn't finalize online and had to call them anyway. I just faxed over the report while I was on the phone with them and they adjusted it before I even signed up. Its been 5 years now so its off my record anyway but I had to go out of my way to clear up that issue. IF it happens again or to anyone else they may want to just fax a copy of the report over and clear the issue up.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
Saabstory said:
Are you military/former military? USAA is hands down the best rates for coverage in the country, but not everyone can get them

X2. I have USAA, they quoted me less than half for the gti compared to geico.

utekineir

Banned
progressive jumped about $80 on the 6 month renewal when it came up recently,

3 cars, mkv gti, mkiv tdi wagon (both full coverage), and a 15 year old toyota pickup with just liability.

Still have a clear record, though i was rear-ended a few months back and did contact progressive regarding it to notify them, but i went through the other drivers insurance company who did not hesitate to pay for the claim.