GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Automobile magazine on 2008 Golf

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
can u give us some more details on what it has to say?

sarny

Ready to race!
Sure,

"High costs and disappointing sales in Europe have spurred the redo. Discontenting, reduced complexity, and easier assembly are supposed to lower costs. Customers will see fresh styling, updated powertrains, and reconfigured equipment.

The designers must make the next Golf look sportier, classier, and more modern without touching the hard points. Planned changes include wider upper doorframes that feign a lower roof, a rising beltline to create a more dynamic stance, and more sculptured flanks for a richer appearance.

Inside, expect lower cost seats and a redesigned dashboard. The marketers are hoping for an Ipod input jack, Bluetooth phone connectivity, satellite readio, DVD navigation, and an OnStar-type concierge service.

In addition to the current 2.5 liter five, engines for the U.S. market will include a 2.0 liter turbo-diesel, which switches to common-rail injection, and a 280-hp V-6 for the R36. All engines can be matched with a DSG transmission".

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
very very interesting...very!

was there any pictures or anything in that artical?

i wonder when they are planning on releasing the 08 golf/rabbit here and i wonder what happens with the GTi

man now that i think about this...thats kinda shitty for all of us that own MkV's...man are our cars going to be worthless in a year?

BTW thank you very much for typing that all out!

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
It wouldnt make our cars worthless, it would actually make them an extremely limited model run (relative to the MKIV and MKIII, and probably the MKII and MKI). Besides, if our MKV has a more expensive interior and more expensive seats than the MKVI, in theory ours should be nicer.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
Volkswagen is in a bit of general turmoil at the moment. They are trying to figure ways to cut costs across the board and their labor costs are astronomical. It will be interesting but a little nerve wracking to see what happens with the mk6.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
zerogt86 said:
It wouldnt make our cars worthless, it would actually make them an extremely limited model run (relative to the MKIV and MKIII, and probably the MKII and MKI). Besides, if our MKV has a more expensive interior and more expensive seats than the MKVI, in theory ours should be nicer.
i believe the run here in america would stay the same as MkV, since every 5 years the models are changed.

but it also comes to mind that when the molds are released to the manufacturing plants in wolfsburg that it will be nothing but Mk6's.

thats when i believe that the MkV manufacturing would move to mexico and stay till after the 5 year run is up here in america.

just my opinion, im sorry if it was hard to understand.

alf

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I have the magazine. By reading it I get the feeling that the MKVs will be the ones to have, since Volkswagen can't afford to keep building the cars at level of quality that the MKV's have.

The picture shows slightly updated styling, not too much of anything special.
I have no way to get the photo online besides taking a cell phone photo and importing. We'll keep that a last resort.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
MHS216 said:
I have the magazine. By reading it I get the feeling that the MKVs will be the ones to have, since Volkswagen can't afford to keep building the cars at level of quality that the MKV's have.

The picture shows slightly updated styling, not too much of anything special.
I have no way to get the photo online besides taking a cell phone photo and importing. We'll keep that a last resort.
better than nothing :thumb:

drbubble33

Drag Racing Champion
yea i just got that zine in the mail today and was totally confused. but they did mention something about the R36. which would house a 3.6 liter VR6. WOW.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
drbubble33 said:
yea i just got that zine in the mail today and was totally confused. but they did mention something about the R36. which would house a 3.6 liter VR6. WOW.
hopefully the Mk6 can actually house the 3.6 engine.

the mkV chassis is too small for it.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
alf said:
thats when i believe that the MkV manufacturing would move to mexico and stay till after the 5 year run is up here in america.

So, does the Mexican plant have the capability to add the Golf to their production?

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
alf said:
hopefully the Mk6 can actually house the 3.6 engine.

the mkV chassis is too small for it.

From what I have read, the motor is not the issue, but fitting a beefed up DSG is. Think I read that in C/D.