GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech HPFP DIY/Tips

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
I used it. He messaged me. I told him to just try and break it free from the pump while on the car. It was a bitch to get the broken one off when the pump was loose. Then he can swap it over no problem

Hey I got your message and thanks for the advice. I'm actually gonna hold off for now as I haven’t decided if I need to upgrade. I’m running E30 and the car seems fine. I get the rail pressure drop that most people get but the logs still look fine and I run 93 in the winter so I’m not sure the full upgrade is worth it right now.

vaarticus

Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Someone made a really good DIY video.

Thanks for sharing. This is my video. I wanted to come here and thank you guys for paving the way. I did a lot of research before making this video, trying to read and watch everything I could find. I was looking for tips, challenges, etc. I read this entire thread (all 15 pages at the time) several times. Diggs, your initial post was super helpful. I’m a visual guy… so I like turning out videos, but the content in this thread was great.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
As an Autotech install looms in my near future, I'm trying to cover all my bases.

The most important thing that's reoccurring everywhere about the install, is cleanliness. So can we talk keeping everything clean for a moment?

@vaarticus's video just above mentions using a chlorine free brake cleaner and liberally cleaning all the parts. There's a recent post by Ed on the EQT FB page (sorry I don't know how to link it I don't really use FB) about the cleanliness of the install. This might go to it, it might not. I don't know.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/341010933400492/user/100001232830254

Someone asks if it's a good idea to spray with brake cleaner. I assume they watched that video. Ed says 'definitely not':

1633617219577.png

Further down, someone mentions using isopropyl alcohol to clean the parts:

1633617311840.png

Nobody says if that's a good idea or bad idea.

I like the idea of cleaning the parts with something, more than just wiping down with a blue shop towel. I just feel a liquid can rinse off any potential small particles more than a blue shop towel can. But obviously don't want to damage anything.

Thoughts? Ideas? Is brake cleaner safe? Is alcohol? Maybe I should just put gasoline in a squirt bottle....

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I cleaned the hell out of everything with brake parts cleaner. Might have been carb cleaner, but same idea. Gas would be fine too IMO. I also did a bit of engine oil anywhere there was metal on metal contact. My stock pump basically had a thin coat of oil on stuff, I just mimicked that.

No issues when i pulled it at 5k miles and went mpi.