GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Basic tool additions for new Euro owners?

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
After happening upon the garage thread and seeing folks' toolboxes, I got to thinking... I've got a metric shit ton of hand tools, power tools, etc. But I don't have very many Euro specific sockets, etc. What are the most common things you guys have picked up along the way while wrenching on your vehicles? Aside from triple square sockets, is there anything else you picked up, or need to pick up? In the event I need to get down and dirty, I don't want to stop to go to the hardware store for a stupid socket I should have had before I started.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
I added triple squares and whatever size socket is necessary for the oil filter. OBDEleven to clear codes.

I'm not sure there is that much that is euro car unique that would be needed for routine maintenance or basic repairs, so curious what the responses are going to be.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
I added triple squares and whatever size socket is necessary for the oil filter. OBDEleven to clear codes.

I'm not sure there is that much that is euro car unique that would be needed for routine maintenance or basic repairs, so curious what the responses are going to be.

Ahhh good point about the socket for the oil filter. I have to double check and see what my largest socket size is. I have an OBDEleven, even though it bugs me that I have to carry an old android device in the car and it constantly gets updated, etc.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Ahhh good point about the socket for the oil filter. I have to double check and see what my largest socket size is. I have an OBDEleven, even though it bugs me that I have to carry an old android device in the car and it constantly gets updated, etc.

I think it's 36mm. Obviously you could use an adjustable wrench.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Metric sockets naturally. T-25 screwdriver; torx toolset (grill/bumper). Plastic interior trim removal tools. Jack pad puck. Wheel hanger. Breaker bar.

Stress ball.... You'll need it.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
This one may seem funny to some ..but a proper spark plug gapping tool.
i never run iridium plugs before and i will not gap iridium tipped plugs with the old style tools and risk damaging the rather expensive ngk race plugs. ( i always ran cheap cooper plugs until now)

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I think it's 36mm. Obviously you could use an adjustable wrench.

That would be a huge adjustable wrench.

I have a 36mm headset wrench for bikes which works perfectly on the oil filter.

At only $18 might not be a bad dedicated tool for the MK7 owner.

danvphotos

Passed Driver's Ed
I've always used a 36mm socket for my German oil filter housings. I have one lying around from doing various CV axles on my parents cars/my trucks, most auto parts stores will have an "axle nut socket" in stock if one is needed ASAP.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Metric sockets, torx and triple squares should cover most basic jobs. Additionally I highly recommend a picking up a magnetic spark plug socket with a long extension as the spark plugs are recessed in the block pretty far. Something like this should work well

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02292A-Magnetic-Swivel-Socket/dp/B075NV13WG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1546963247&sr=8-10&keywords=GearWrench+5%2F8+spark+plug+socket.

I ended up picking up the Gearwrench 80546 years ago but wish the extension was longer like the Neiko.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Most all of these tools I have already, but good notes on some. I have an axle nut set which contains the size needed for the oil filter housing but that seems overkill. I'll just pick up a Euro oil filter socket. Man never has too many tools.

The only other item I didn't really think about until you mentioned it swcrow, was the puck pad. I had already done a teeny bit of damage to my R valences when putting the car on the lift to do oil changes. :( I have the interior trim tools and most other accompaniments.

Thanks guys, good stuff.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Quality Torx and triple square sockets for sure. Torx drivers are nice also, as well as a good strong battery powered bit driver for all the T20-T30 Torx screws that hold literally the entire interior together, as well as under-vehicle shields. Small ratchets with lots of teeth are priceless in tight ares also, areas frequently found under the hood. Additionally, interior tools like bone tools or trim wedges are handy to have for interior work. Don't use screw drivers lol.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I've always used a 36mm socket for my German oil filter housings. I have one lying around from doing various CV axles on my parents cars/my trucks, most auto parts stores will have an "axle nut socket" in stock if one is needed ASAP.
For about $30 I was able to buy a 6pc kit that had all VWAG oil filter sockets in it. Great buy.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
no one has said the fulcrum of ANY VW....

10mm...buy several

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Set of Metric sockets 6mm to 21, (hex, not bi-hex) & deep in 10-14mm..
Metric spanners, open, ring, covering the same range.

Might need a few bigger sizes like 28mm or 32mm...& in bi-hex for hub nuts..
A few "triple square".
TX torx keys/bits mainly T10, to T30
TX sockets similar sizes to above keys.
Hex keys/bits sizes normal set range.

Usually the "sets" miss out certain sizes like the TX sets miss out T27..which you need!!

Last edited: