GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Recommendation?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My factory battery lasted about 4 years and 39k miles on my 2015. When it died (without any warning, literally went into a store for a little bit and came out to a dead car), I had to replace it on the road. Went with an O'Reilly Super Start Platinum AGM in group 48/H6 size. It's been in there for a bit over 3 years and 27k without any issues. Only time will tell if it lasts longer than OEM haha.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Even if replacing with another lead acid battery?
Again...yes...at minimum you should need change the serial number in by one digit...to tell the car is has a new battery.
If you changed chemistry...yes... you need to re-code. Multiple threads exist on this forum...these questions have been answered before...

Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Damn, you're right. I used to get mine from Pep Boys. Looks like they no longer carry them.
Most of you realize(I hope) almost all auto batteries are made in the same handful of factories....and what is different is the sticker on the side....and the warranty.

The difference between them is the $150 battery is a 2-3 year warranty...and the $250 battery is a 4-5 year warranty.

Buy purchasing borshe, crastco, champion, durashell, intra-state....there isn't any very special sauce between them...tribe however you want to tribe.

STD....AGM...boutique Lithium....pick one...

If you have changed size(Cap/AmpHRs) or chemistry... you need code the battery...
If you swapped in a nearly identical replacement...to get the maximum life out of your newer battery...the serial number needs change by 1 digit...

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you have changed size(Cap/AmpHRs) or chemistry... you need code the battery...
If you swapped in a nearly identical replacement...to get the maximum life out of your newer battery...the serial number needs change by 1 digit...
Scott (@StealthGTI) has a good tip that made sense to me in his YouTube video about the serial number. He changed the serial number to the date he installed the battery. I save all of my receipts and stuff anyway, but just a redundancy if you needed to know how long it lasted.

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Scott (@StealthGTI) has a good tip that made sense to me in his YouTube video about the serial number. He changed the serial number to the date he installed the battery. I save all of my receipts and stuff anyway, but just a redundancy if you needed to know how long it lasted.
Can a FLAP change it, or can it only be changed via VCDS or OBDEleven?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
So the dealership told. Me. No need to code the battery. I ended up snagging an Optima yellowtop. Works better than any battery I've used!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
So the dealership told. Me. No need to code the battery. I ended up snagging an Optima yellowtop. Works better than any battery I've used!
Float voltage of AGM, wet, and gel cell are slightly different. Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase and found the answer.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
After 5 years of ownership I replaced the original battery of my 2017 GTI, I chose a local branded battery (EFB technology) and coded using Carista app. I hope it lasts 5 more years