GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner DSLR

glory

Ready to race!
Hey all,

Was hoping I would be able to get some help. Been thinking about getting back into photography/photoshop (used to do some in Highschool). Looking for advice regarding cameras/lenses for a beginner, new vs used, etc.

I'd prefer to do mostly car photography and close up stuff, rather then large scenery (if this has any revelance to choosing equipment). If you have sites/articles I should read to help me that would be appreciated as well. :thumbup:

Thanks!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Used or new d3100 kits go for pretty cheap.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
D3100 is an awesome starter DSLR.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Ya I thought about that, but I thought it was just for pictures.

We recently got it merged with another thread that was for this, so the photography thread is for both posting of photos and asking of questions.

As others said, what is your budget and preference? You said you did some back in high school. What camera did you work with and what did you like/didn't like about it?

As a couple people pointed out, Nikon has the D3100 which is a good starter camera. Also, for Canon, the T2i or even the T3i now are good starters that you can find used and new for relatively inexpensive if you are partial to Canon. Lens wise, the 18-55mm kit lens for either brand is a good start, but would say the 35mm f1.8 for Nikon or the 50mm f1.8 for Canon would be a nice edition for cars and portraits. Others will chime in, but depending on what you are looking to get into, I figure that is a good start. :thumbsup:

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Imho if you don't mind which brand you get and can afford to fork out a little more get a t2i it has the same sensor as the t3i and 60d.

If you want Nikon and want best bang for Buck get a d5100
It has the same sensor as the d7000. I have owned both 60d and d7000 and much prefer the quality Nikon has.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

glory

Ready to race!
We recently got it merged with another thread that was for this, so the photography thread is for both posting of photos and asking of questions.

As others said, what is your budget and preference? You said you did some back in high school. What camera did you work with and what did you like/didn't like about it?

As a couple people pointed out, Nikon has the D3100 which is a good starter camera. Also, for Canon, the T2i or even the T3i now are good starters that you can find used and new for relatively inexpensive if you are partial to Canon. Lens wise, the 18-55mm kit lens for either brand is a good start, but would say the 35mm f1.8 for Nikon or the 50mm f1.8 for Canon would be a nice edition for cars and portraits. Others will chime in, but depending on what you are looking to get into, I figure that is a good start. :thumbsup:

Ah ok, well mods can merge this one if they want.

Budget probably $500-$600 CDN. Highschool was no where near DSLR territory, was old film cameras, forget the make/model. My main problem with cameras is I have shaky hands, and most "anti-shake" settings on cameras (cheap ones I have used) don't work so well.

Bit of researching (quickly during a break at work) agrees with what people recommend in the D3100 or the D5100 is you can spring the extra few dollars.

Local store with a great rep: http://donsphoto.com/products.html?catalog[decision_model_guids][]=a58a8268-4946-4121-8912-f53ba8efa0ea&catalog[search][spec_value_ids][207146][]=9997921&catalog[search][spec_value_ids][207146][]=9997929&catalog[search][spec_value_ids][207062][]=9984866&catalog[search][price][min]=&catalog[search][price][max]=700

Anything worthwhile noting there?

Thanks everyone!