GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best way to clean the Clark Plaid

bludragon06

Ready to race!
This may have been covered before but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2017 Sport. I protected the seats (sprayed the seat) with Scotchgaurd auto seat and carpet protector. I have noticed that the red and white in the plaid isn't as vibrant. I don't want to use anything that will make the color fast, or use brushes that will make the material loosen up, or push the dirt deeper into the material. What does everyone use to clean their clark plaid? Thanks in advance.

:confused::D:-Dave

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
griots interior cleaner. I had similar experience with the plaid looking a bit dingy after a while (daily driving takes a toll). Really any interior cleaner work, but i like griots as it's unscented and with a few sprays and rubs with a microfiber, it took out the grime.

Getting someone to steam vac it isn't a bad idea, but can be overkill if you're just looking for something that's easy to use every once in a while.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
griots interior cleaner. I had similar experience with the plaid looking a bit dingy after a while (daily driving takes a toll). Really any interior cleaner work, but i like griots as it's unscented and with a few sprays and rubs with a microfiber, it took out the grime.

Getting someone to steam vac it isn't a bad idea, but can be overkill if you're just looking for something that's easy to use every once in a while.

I've also used Griot's Interior Cleaner with great results on almost all of my interior surfaces. I went with it because it doesn't contain any dyes or additives. I tend to lean towards products that get the job done with the simplest ingredient list.

The only thing that was a negative for me was that I cleaned the touchscreen with it and then it began to behave oddly. A simple cleaning with a proper screen cleaner took care of that issue though.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Had a good detail shop use their vacuum/steam unit with very good results on my 2015. I made sure that they did not over wet it since we have heated seat wires and no perfumed smell in the cleaning juice.Only needed the front seats, center arm rest and door panels. About $150.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Warm soapy water and a sponge.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
STP Foam Cleaner

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
AMMO Lather. Easily the best interior product I’ve used.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I as well use Griots. Though unscented, for whatever reason every time it seems to bring back a little of that new car smell. I like it.

Now that you mention the new car smell, I tend to agree, but don't know why haha.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Thanks to those who recommended Griot's Interior Cleaner. Got a bottle from Amazon, and with barely any effort, the fabric looks as good as new again.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Had a good detail shop use their vacuum/steam unit with very good results on my 2015. I made sure that they did not over wet it since we have heated seat wires and no perfumed smell in the cleaning juice.Only needed the front seats, center arm rest and door panels. About $150.

Sorry to bump this old thread but I was just searching for how to clean the plaid seats. The VW manual specifically says not to have them steam cleaned. I'm going to order the Griot's Garage 11104 and see how that works. I want to rid any traces of the previous owner from the car lol.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I use something called "blue coral" from autozone. It sprays on in a light foam and you brush it with the top of the can. Seems to work pretty well. Smells nice too.