GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Way to Own a used GTI/VW if true...

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
id love to hear accounts of carmax claims...

ill stick with buying a CPO Audi or VW, better warranty than from factory

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Carmax pricing on a USED gti was frequently almost as much as a new one would cost.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Carmax pricing on a USED gti was frequently almost as much as a new one would cost.

this^

when you see "no haggle pricing" being advertised, it's actually code speak for, "grab your ankles, buster".

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

If that's so they're making serious bills... they offered me $17k for my car when it was like a year old with <20k miles... I was offended and still have it obviously.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

this^

when you see "no haggle pricing" being advertised, it's actually code speak for, "grab your ankles, buster".

:thumbsup:

But some people are lazy and are fine buying high and selling low.

Merkle

Banned
I got my GTI through CarMax. In August of 2011 I got a 2010 GTI, 2 Door with Sunroof and RCD-510 for $23,500. The car had 12k miles on the clock. Not the best deal, but a couple of grand off the equivalent 2012. Plus I could get the exact color I wanted. Dealerships around here told me I would have to order one, complete B.S.

I did end up getting their extended warranty, up to 75k. It was a mistake on my part, but, I had planned on keeping the car stock until that point. That lasted ... oh ... three months or so. :D

From owning a Ford Ranger and the VW GTI, both covered under factor warranties, both have denied me warrantied service for one reason or another. The GTI was my intake manifold replacement that I had to pay for, and the Ranger's transmission grenaded at about 15k miles. I had to pay for that too. I personally don't believe companies stand behind their products.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I got my GTI through CarMax. In August of 2011 I got a 2010 GTI, 2 Door with Sunroof and RCD-510 for $23,500. The car had 12k miles on the clock. Not the best deal, but a couple of grand off the equivalent 2012. Plus I could get the exact color I wanted. Dealerships around here told me I would have to order one, complete B.S.

I did end up getting their extended warranty, up to 75k. It was a mistake on my part, but, I had planned on keeping the car stock until that point. That lasted ... oh ... three months or so. :D

From owning a Ford Ranger and the VW GTI, both covered under factor warranties, both have denied me warrantied service for one reason or another. The GTI was my intake manifold replacement that I had to pay for, and the Ranger's transmission grenaded at about 15k miles. I had to pay for that too. I personally don't believe companies stand behind their products.

See look at that....i was modded, tuned and when my intake manifold went the VW dealership covered it and same story with many other members on this forum...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

That sounds like you had multiple rapes in your GTI ownership I am sorry :(

Merkle

Banned
See look at that....i was modded, tuned and when my intake manifold went the VW dealership covered it and same story with many other members on this forum...

The dealership here is terrible, the parts guys are cool, I talk to them whenever I'm in there getting oil filters but the service department is disappointing to say the least.

I would have replaced it myself but, I don't have the skill to re-seat the injectors properly.

Merkle

Banned
That sounds like you had multiple rapes in your GTI ownership I am sorry :(

The CarMax price wasn't bad. IIRC it was $1,200 for the extended warranty. Not horrible, but, it was the first time I bought a new car myself. You live, you learn.

I plan to get as much out of it as I can. When the VW warranty expires at 60k, I'm going to take it to them to see if they can fix my rear caliper, door lock switch and whatever else breaks between now and then. I'm sure they'll find some excuse not to cover it too. :mad0259::paddle:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The CarMax price wasn't bad. IIRC it was $1,200 for the extended warranty. Not horrible, but, it was the first time I bought a new car myself. You live, you learn.

I plan to get as much out of it as I can. When the VW warranty expires at 60k, I'm going to take it to them to see if they can fix my rear caliper, door lock switch and whatever else breaks between now and then. I'm sure they'll find some excuse not to cover it too. :mad0259::paddle:

Door locks etc won't be covered, not sure rear caliper will either.

The powertrain covers 5/60 everything is 3/36

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
I had a good experience purchasing my GTI through Carmax. Picked up a 2012 2dr DSG Autobahn in CW. You can not find that car for sale anywhere easily and was exactly what I wanted. It was 24k with 17500mi. Exactly KBB value. Did not get the extended warranty as I knew it was a sucker deal as well as financing through them was a joke. I could not be happier with the car. Puts a smile on my face everyday and that to me is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk