GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Bother in 2026?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Everything is in place to implement a system to detect impaired.

Take lane keep assist, sensors tied to auto braking and add algorithm to detect delayed response and erratic movements. Implement new hazard light standard to add additional pattern to hazard light flashing (2 quick flashes instead of steady ) and then put car into limp mode.

Best part about it is that not only will impaired drivers get caught, all the assholes on their cell phones will get roped in.

That should be the most cost effective way to satisfy the requirement.
Good idea. It will be a long time before everyone has a car with all those options but it's a great start.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
Self driving cars will fix this problem anyways

Everyone likes to claim they are a law abiding citizen.
Can't wait until they start mandating location aware speed governors.
Speed limit is 30....guess what your car is now governed to 30.
15mph School zone? Guess what? Your car is now governed to 15.
Stuck behind someone in their 1964 Impala lecturing their grandson about "day dun make cars like this anymore. You need a lot of steel to keep you safe!!" on a twisty mountain road with a double yellow doing 50 in a 55mph because "The most precious thing in the car is my grandkids"? FYI since roads have to be designed for least capable cars...all the safety tech in current cars isn't going to result higher speed limits anytime soon.
Lane departure+lane keep assist + minimum following distance + speed governor + location aware speed governors + systems that could be in place to detect impaired driving = Enjoy the back of a 64 Impala doing 50mph in 55mph zone on your favorite road.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Everyone likes to claim they are a law abiding citizen.
Can't wait until they start mandating location aware speed governors.
Speed limit is 30....guess what your car is now governed to 30.
15mph School zone? Guess what? Your car is now governed to 15.
Stuck behind someone in their 1964 Impala lecturing their grandson about "day dun make cars like this anymore. You need a lot of steel to keep you safe!!" on a twisty mountain road with a double yellow doing 50 in a 55mph because "The most precious thing in the car is my grandkids"? FYI since roads have to be designed for least capable cars...all the safety tech in current cars isn't going to result higher speed limits anytime soon.
Lane departure+lane keep assist + minimum following distance + speed governor + location aware speed governors + systems that could be in place to detect impaired driving = Enjoy the back of a 64 Impala doing 50mph in 55mph zone on your favorite road.
going 5mph under the speed limit really pisses you off that much huh

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
going 5mph under the speed limit really pisses you off huh

Absolute not.
I'm pretty damn patient.

To be abundantly clear, I view roads as shared and EVERYONE is entitled to operate their vehicle in legal manner without someone else throwing a temper tantrum.

I ride motorcycles as well and if I get caught behind someone I could care less.

Disclaimer: I'm in NY. NYC\Long Island area. Someone travelling 50 in 55 in my area is the equivalent of driving 20 in 55 outside this area. Driving 55 in a 55 causes road rage around here.
So my wording in my post should be viewed through that lens

Last edited:

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
going 5mph under the speed limit really pisses you off that much huh
Absofuckinglutely. Anyone who can't go the "industry standard" of 5 MPH over needs to be removed from the road. Which would be 98% of Denver tw-ts can I buy a vowel please

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I've got vertigo and have a hard time focusing my vision on a single point without squinting and concentrating. If I got a field sobriety test with the flashlight/follow my finger thing, they would for sure think I'm drunk even tho I don't drink. I also am always twitching and making what I feel most would consider erratic movements. And driving patterns? Is it going to put the car in limp mode if someone takes a turn too fast/slow, or accidentally cuts over center line while during spirited driving? If the car can account for this with no false positives, I don't really care if they put it in.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You got the wrong guy. Whatever line of thought you have about who I am and what I'm trying to say. Stop.
If you misunderstood what I said or you think I did not clearly communicate, fine.
See my updated post
lol chill it was an NWA reference because you mentioned 64 Impala so many times

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
It does piss me off especially when everyone else is doing 10 MPH over. Then everyone is changing lanes to pass the guy.
i didnt mean it's not annoying, especially when you're in a hardcore german performance car like a gti 😂
i just found his lengthy response to my comment about self driving cars comical

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
lol chill it was an NWA reference because you mentioned 64 Impala so many times
Recently saw a 60s 2 dr Suburban and his buddy in a 64 impala at a boy scout carwash not too long ago.
It stuck in my head.
Probably would have said Buick Century if it did impala didnt pop up in my head.
The line about the grandson came from my father in law.

The mountain road was more wishful thinking as my area sucks for driving and I want to move upstate closer to the mountains.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
i didnt mean it's not annoying, especially when you're in a hardcore german performance car like a gti 😂
i just found his lengthy response to my comment about self driving cars comical
I have the day off. I got some time on my hands. I'm indecisive on whether to make lunch or go out to eat.

Ima drop some major paragraphs in every damn post today