GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo GTI v. R Upgrade

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Looks like a good option. I've been debating a new turbo, but don't want to have to go down the road of messing with fueling. Want to stay on stock fueling with pump 93 gas.

No problem with stock fueling with the TPC20 or the OEM IS38.

greens

Ready to race!
You can’t compare stripper base model gtis to an R. Compare an autobahn with an R and it’s a lot closer comparison. I’ve had both and the R wins. Gonna win a lot more once I install this fuel system and turbo.

Of course you can. You get the same motor in the S that you do in the Autobahn.

I got my S for $24K. The R was $38K minimum. Haldex AWD + 60hp + an extra 300lbs isn't even remotely worth $14K.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Of course you can. You get the same motor in the S that you do in the Autobahn.

I got my S for $24K. The R was $38K minimum. Haldex AWD + 60hp + an extra 300lbs isn't even remotely worth $14K.
Exactly. There's no performance option on an Autobahn that the Sport/Rabbit or 19 S don't have.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
But no closer to the performance. VW needs to make a stripped down Golf R for 30k

+1. I would much more seriously consider a Golf R if it came with cloth plaid seats and none of that other BS they come with. I don't want DCC, a sunroof, or collision avoidance. If I wanted all that I would just buy an Audi. Or they could just make AWD an added option on the GTI lol. They could call it the Performance Pack Plus.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
+1. I would much more seriously consider a Golf R if it came with cloth plaid seats and none of that other BS they come with. I don't want DCC, a sunroof, or collision avoidance. If I wanted all that I would just buy an Audi. Or they could just make AWD an added option on the GTI lol. They could call it the Performance Pack Plus.

A sunroof isn't available on the R. I agree with your suggestion to offer an AWD option on the R but VW wouldn't do it because then the price would be too close to the R. If VW wants to keep selling the R as an upgraded performance version of the GTI they can't make the price too close or the options stripped down. It's no different than any other car brand that has an upgraded model of the same car.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
A sunroof isn't available on the R. I agree with your suggestion to offer an AWD option on the R but VW wouldn't do it because then the price would be too close to the R. If VW wants to keep selling the R as an upgraded performance version of the GTI they can't make the price too close or the options stripped down. It's no different than any other car brand that has an upgraded model of the same car.

Interesting I thought the sunroof came standard. My bad. I totally understand why they don’t sell an “S trim Golf R” or an AWD GTI but I would still want one in a perfect world. Well if it was a perfect world the R would have a 2.5 5cyl turbo, but we can’t always get what we want can we.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Interesting I thought the sunroof came standard. My bad. I totally understand why they don’t sell an “S trim Golf R” or an AWD GTI but I would still want one in a perfect world. Well if it was a perfect world the R would have a 2.5 5cyl turbo, but we can’t always get what we want can we.

Nope.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
The only thing that is really a 'game changer' for 16k more is the AWD, and it barely snows anymore (always getting hotter) so its easier for ppl to buy GTI, like when I got my GTI, it was between that and GTI PP which was like 3k more. Knowing what I know now, I should have gotten that, but really only saw it had better wheels and push to start. They didn't really high up the lights that much or brakes. I mean if I could change anything I wouldn't, its about the journey, not the start or end. One day ill have macan brakes, BT, knock off lights ect ect :)

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Just to add on this price debate in 2017-2018 you could buy a Leon Cupra 300 ST(Wagon) in Sweden with either FWD with VAQ or AWD with Haldex and the price premium for the AWD version was around 800-900USD lol.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
What would they stirp to reduce the price by 10K? Wouldn't it be a GTI by then?
So I want a GTI S with awd.
Perfect.
Ideally, you could get a golf R, stripped down with awd for 35k and for 45k, a Golf R with the 2.5