GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bill Nye and Ken Ham Debate is live on youtube right now

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I believe in balls.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I do need to watch this later though. Lately, I watch or listen to a lot of debates with Sam Harris or Hitchens vs other dudes.. and its.. usually pretty entertaining.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Besides being born on the same day as Christ, not sure how Newton relates.

Jesus wasn't born on Christmas. Newsflash.

The winter solstice is the reason for the season. Christians banned it in the 1600s because it was a pagan celebration. It didn't work and people still celebrated. So the decided to declare that Jesus was born on the 25th of December and wedged themselves into the festivities

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion

This is in the creation museum. The place where Bill Nye debated that guy.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh. wow.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I'm torn between wanting to go to that place and laugh and not wanting to give them any money for the admission fee.

NBACousinVinnie

Ready to race!
Jesus wasn't born on Christmas. Newsflash.

The winter solstice is the reason for the season (you rap?). Christians banned it in the 1600s because it was a Pagan celebration. It didn't work, and people still celebrated. So they decided to declare that Jesus was born on the 25th of December, and wedged themselves into the festivities.

Thanks for the update. If you're going to engage me in a debate and try to "kick knowledge," at least get your shit correct.

Let me get this straight. So what you're saying is that during the 1600s, Christians were pissed off that the Pagans were celebrating the winter solstice, then tried to stop them, but couldn't, and then chose an arbitrary date for the birth of Christ to, in turn, create a false illusion that the Pagans were actually observing the birth of Our Savior?

Cool story, brah.

krische

vdubber in training
This. When people ask me about my religion (like my inlaws when I asked for my now-wife's hand in marriage), I tell them we have only 5 senses and they're insufficient to expose us to all the things that happen around us. We've built up our understanding of the universe on these really primitive sensors. Why can't we sense magnetic fields like birds, for example? What else is out there that we can't sense?

Whether you call all the rest of that stuff God or not is up to you, but I prefer not to. Humans painted God in the likeness of themselves which screams "naive" to me. Don't want to be a part of that.

Wow, that's a pretty neat way of looking at it. I like it.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the update. If you're going to engage me in a debate and try to "kick knowledge," at least get your shit correct.

Let me get this straight. So what you're saying is that during the 1600s, Christians were pissed off that the Pagans were celebrating the winter solstice, then tried to stop them, but couldn't, and then chose an arbitrary date for the birth of Christ to, in turn, create a false illusion that the Pagans were actually observing the birth of Our Savior?

Cool story, brah.

I noticed you didn't challenge one of my points or point out where I didn't get my "shit correct" but the real question is....did you?

krische

vdubber in training

Cool story, brah.

Well not exactly, but he's mostly right. The date of Jesus's birth isn't known. And most of the traditions of Christmas come from old Pagan and Roman traditions (gift giving, wreaths/trees, caroling, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#History

Many popular customs associated with Christmas developed independently of the commemoration of Jesus' birth, with certain elements having origins in pre-Christian festivals that were celebrated around the winter solstice by pagan populations who were later converted to Christianity.

krische

vdubber in training

Christmas not strictly Pagan only. Some of it comes from ancient Romans too. Like my wiki link says:

Many modern Christmas customs have been directly influenced by such festivals, including gift-giving and merrymaking from the Roman Saturnalia, greenery, lights, and charity from the Roman New Year, and Yule logs and various foods from Germanic feasts.