GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bill Nye and Ken Ham Debate is live on youtube right now

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I know I'm late, but I feel obligated to contribute to the conversation anyway.

krische

vdubber in training
So back on topic, is this Ken guy for or against creationism being taught in public schools?

I mean if he agrees that all the evidence for creationism comes from the Bible, then surely he would be against it being taught in public schools right? Or does he not believe in separation of church and state either?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
That's interesting. When do people mostly learn that Hitler wrote mein kampf? College?

I really don't remember exactly and curricula have probably changed since I was in school. It's one of those things that I just assume everyone knows about since Hitler is one of the most significant historical figures.

So back on topic, is this Ken guy for or against creationism being taught in public schools?

I mean if he agrees that all the evidence for creationism comes from the Bible, then surely he would be against it being taught in public schools right? Or does he not believe in separation of church and state either?

As I understand it, people like that believe the bible is a solid history book full of facts so there is no issue with using it for history or science classes.

NBACousinVinnie

Ready to race!
Well not exactly, but he's mostly right. The date of Jesus's birth isn't known. And most of the traditions of Christmas come from old Pagan and Roman traditions (gift giving, wreaths/trees, caroling, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#History

Hmm, I thought the tradition of gift-giving is based off the three symbolic gifts baby Jesus received from the Three Wise Men on the night of his birth - gold, incense, and myrrh.

krische

vdubber in training
As I understand it, people like that believe the bible is a solid history book full of facts so there is no issue with using it for history or science classes.

fo' realz?

Wow, and yet for some reason I bet those same people would flip their shit if the Quran was being taught in the same way in public schools.

krische

vdubber in training
That's because the bible is true and the other religious books are not, duh.

Yep, and that seems to be the crux of this debate. They (creationists) interpret the Bible literally and believe it is infallible.

That's why I thought the whole debate was kind of silly for Bill Nye to accept. He is absolutely not going to change Ken's mind (his entire career and livelihood riding on this) and he is unlikely to change the minds of any other creationist believers (they may have built all their life's decisions around these religious beliefs).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

NBACousinVinnie

Ready to race!
Let this be a lesson to you. Don't try to think.

You're right.

I should just let the internet do my thinking for me, like you do...

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
You're right.

I should just let the internet do my thinking for me, like you do...

Generally speaking, the sum of all human knowledge is available on the internet.

I don't think you are making the point you intended.

Honestly though, until you refute anything that's being said, you're just a hindrance. Restating the positions presented to you and adding a question mark at the end isn't an argument.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
And the goal isn't to change your mind. The point is to help you realize that religion belongs in religion class and not in science class.

Believe a taco eating hedgehog shat the world into existence, see if I care.