GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bill Nye and Ken Ham Debate is live on youtube right now

Cpuga93

Ready to race!
No ill try to explain that one a bit better when I get to my desktop but even so that is just ONE possibility. The other possibility is that helios is real. The other possibility is that it was an alien. The other possibility is that it was a time traveler. The other possibility is that etc etc. You werent there so you dont know what they saw. You just have an account of it that they wrote. We will never know.

a message from the galaxy

Cpuga93

Ready to race!
:rolleyes:

Oh you mean beat the indoctrination into me with repetition?

Meet my former pastor. My grandparents have been at his church for nearly 40 years now. They still have lunch with him the second Wednesday of every month. He married my mother and my aunt to their husbands. He was actually at my birth. If you're religious enough you probably know who he is.

Wow dude come on did you even read the example. Its not about repetition its about picking up what you missed the first time around geez.

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
No ill try to explain that one a bit better when I get to my desktop but even so that is just ONE possibility. The other possibility is that helios is real. The other possibility is that it was an alien. The other possibility is that it was a time traveler. The other possibility is that etc etc. You werent there so you dont know what they saw. You just have an account of it that they wrote. We will never know.

Gosh we've arrived in a circle...

You can't be 100% certain of anything, you can only see observe and see what the evidence supports.

Without evidence to support the first statement it is not respectable either. Logically the burden of proof for belief should rest on the positive claim, unsupported beliefs are irrational and irrational beliefs don't deserve respect any more than UFOs or the belief that we are actually in the Matrix

Cpuga93

Ready to race!
Wow ok man but I bet you still watch some pretty jacked up movies or tv shows huh? Unless you or I can come up with the answer to all these questions which man has been Asking himself for thousands of years then yup we are never going to finish this conversation. So this is where I end my part and I will humbly say or paraphrase "All I know is that I know nothing". Thank you and goodnight. :)

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
My question is simply what makes the bible any more valid than any other religion's teachings? Because that's the one your parents led you to?

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
Wow ok man but I bet you still watch some pretty jacked up movies or tv shows huh? Unless you or I can come up with the answer to all these questions which man has been Asking himself for thousands of years then yup we are never going to finish this conversation. So this is where I end my part and I will humbly say or paraphrase "All I know is that I know nothing". Thank you and goodnight. :)

I don't have to have an answer. I just have to show how we shouldn't look to a book written 2000 years ago, in the sand, filled with contradictory messages, genocide, murder, rape, etc, to answer the question about how we came to be (actually quite simple).

I'm saying that a theory based on empiricism and able to change with new evidence is a superior form of explanation than 'godditit.' How hard is that to understand?

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Indistinguishable between troll, christian or batshit crazy

Interchangeable, no?

The beauty of science, when practiced as intended, is that it spends considerable effort to disprove itself, by which I mean, if a research paper describing a new theory and the manner it was discovered is written and submitted to a peer reviewed publication, other scientists will conduct experiments to try to either replicate, or disprove, said theory. Science is wonderful because it recognizes that it can be wrong and will try again and again to correct itself. It starts with a premise or observation and attempts to draw a conclusion or explanation. Religion starts with a conclusion then goes out and tries to prove it. It runs counter to critical thinking.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Interchangeable, no?

The beauty of science, when practiced as intended, is that it spends considerable effort to disprove itself, by which I mean, if a research paper describing a new theory and the manner it was discovered is written and submitted to a peer reviewed publication, other scientists will conduct experiments to try to either replicate, or disprove, said theory. Science is wonderful because it recognizes that it can be wrong and will try again and again to correct itself. It starts with a premise or observation and attempts to draw a conclusion or explanation. Religion starts with a conclusion then goes out and tries to prove it. It runs counter to critical thinking.

indistinguishable

WAP

Go Kart Champion

krische

vdubber in training
Well it's getting late, I'm going to go say my prayers to Joe Pesci.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
indeed, lots of good morals on slavery, whoring out your daughter, killing your son, killing those who don't believe what you believe, and so on. no doubt.

The bible isn't a source for morals. You pick and choose which morals you like out of the bible based upon your actual morality.

Whatever I didn't read it

:D

See that's the problem with you guys, you think you're just as correct in your opinion as I am. I know I'm right because I have several thousand years of historical evidence behind me. You have 200 years.

Troll level 11

butchered by autocorrecr

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Poor non-believers... no virgins for you!

:laugh:

So just gonna play devil's advocate here..

Has anyone read Flatland? 2 dimensional being who is observed by a 3 dimensional being but cannot see him because he cannot perceive this third dimension. What if that is happening to us? We know there are more dimensions than just the three of space and one of time so who is to say that another being cough cough God who might exist in another dimension that we cannot perceive doesn't exist. Gasp :O

sure, possibilities are endless, that doesn't mean you take anyone's word for anything based on a whim and proven by nothing - at least intelligence / common sense to many would speak to that.

Who is to say many things? sure - many could be possible, but I live my life based on observation and evidence, not stories, hypocrisy, and discrimination.

My favorite is how they need to follow it so literally that homos are wrong and should be killed ect... But it's perfectly ok for them to be a big fat fucking slob. The literal interpretation is only literal when it's not in regards to them.

haha, very good point. Again, going back to the whole "picking and choosing" thing.

oh dang!

Speak for yourself.

Nudge nudge wink wink

bombs away? :iono:

Possibility doesn't mean we should believe in something or even say it's probable.

There are an infinite number of possibilities regarding the creation of the universe or if it even really exists and is just an illusion. A belief should require some form of evidence and reason or else it's no better than thinking the Denver Airport is a base for the Illuminati, FEMA has death camps, unicorns are real, or that there's an invisible teapot orbiting mars.

+1

Is and does change as new evidence is discovered... Not true about religion and conspiracy. Religion was an attempt to explain the natural world that has since been discredited by discoveries like "the world is round" and "stars are actually other suns" and the only way it has been reconciled and stuck around is because people try to rationalize it by saying things like "well, when god said he created the world in 7 days he was taking into account relativity, even though he knew humans would read it and be confused until the mid 20th century when they would argue about it." There's absolutely no difference between that reasoning and conspiracy theory reasoning..

Another note, String Theory is one of many competing theories and we are far less certain about it than say evolution or gravity.

I agree on all, but not sure ive heard string theory.

Has anyone seen Book of Eli? makes perfect sense, lol. seriously, doe.

I mean, Carlin and Hicks were some of the first comedians to talk on that shit, but I know David Cross had some funny stuff too:

"you mean to tell me, that the bible was written by humans, some 2,000 years ago? when people were actually stupider than they are now? I dunno, man...."

Indistinguishable between troll, christian or batshit crazy

correct. And that in of itself really says something about one of those things...

Just so you know I am personally not a religious person at all but I am not close minded either. Science isnt out there to prove religion wrong its out there to explain things with more depth. People cant run around saying you are wrong I am right blah blah. You have to take the time to investigate the other side too. Read the freaking bible, study physics particularly particle physics which can provide more insight on this subject, read about evolutionary biology become well versed in these subjects and more and then create your own idea or belief. Otherwise without any of this knowledge you are as bad as the creationist who says we rode a dinosaur.

you seem to be pretty religious from your comments? telling us to read the bible? the times I've picked it up and read it, I constantly say, "how does anyone believe any of this shit? - who lived for 900 years?" and so on. Penn from Penn & Teller said it best... "fully read the bible - then you'll really know you're an atheist".

and no, its not as bad as a creationist. An atheist or anti-theist isn't making convenient lies to promote propaganda and a lifestyle, etc. We live by what know and fully acknowledge what we don't.

No, because one is an argument from authority and the other is an argument from empirical evidence.

And thanks, I read the bible. A bit too incesty and murdery for my taste.

:clap:

Also you cant say religion was created to explain things because that is impossible and if you can prove me wrong then so be it but here is why. Humans are creatures that create by observing other things. We cant just randomly invent a god or animal or anything without first looking around us and taking from that. Meaning that there can be some truth to some of these stories. Idk if im explaining myself correctly because im typing from my phone so just writing a paragraph takes me forever lol

truth to which story?

Noah's Ark
Moses parting the Red Sea
Jesus walking on water
A burning bush
Talking snakes
virgin birth

what's true? im sure im leaving some out..

The moment my daughter was born - who looks exactly like me - I said to myself, "aha.. here is where they get the "made onto his own image" part, because it blew my mind and totally melted my heart, but that doesn't mean some skybeing exists either.

Religion has been used to control, kill, and motivate. not saying it doesn't do good things, but it sure as hell has done a lot of bad things - all in the name of god.

so many possibilities, lets believe in anything?

yes, stuff that was wrote and translated over and over again from dead languages, with some being lost in translation or possibly not meaning what it says in english, as even explained/ admitted by theologians - that you now read in English. yes.

Yeah totally skipped the part where the dude offers his daughters up for sex in order to be a good host. Better go read that again.

:lol:

that was a good'n!!

"and Pa, when do we stone some bitches in the courtyard again?!?!"

I don't need falsehoods to satisfy questions, I look to facts and science to answer the questions they can, and I can fully admit to the ones that I or no one else can answer - at least for now.

And no, the quote (Socrates or Plato, can't recall - I think the former?) doesn't really apply, because you are basically stating that because you don't know, you believe in possibilities of things that cannot proven - you are not saying you truly don't know ;)

Am I open to the idea of a creator? sure - if there is proof of one.

aliens? of course. again.. need proof.

Interchangeable, no?

indeed.

The earth used to be flat and the sun rotated around the earth, right??

Well it's getting late, I'm going to go say my prayers to Joe Pesci.

amen.