GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMW 335i Questions

white4dr

The Stig
A friend of mine is looking at buying a 2009 335i sedan. It's certified at a BMW dealer with 24k miles for 30 grand, it seems like a good deal.

I know the fuel pump on the twin turbo engine fails alot, but the warranty for them was extended. Are there any other weak points?

In terms of mods- is dinan the only company that doesn't void the warranty or covered maintenance?

What are some good chips and intakes for these cars?

Thanks

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Dinan is the only company I am aware of that doesn't kill the warranty. The hpfp is the only major weakpoint from what I remember. I have heard about oil cooler/overheating issues with automatic ones. If he has a stick/sport model I think it comes with an upgraded one or a second I can't remember. (overheating only happened at track time use)
Back to the topic of flashing, Dinan is by far the most conservative. Tell him to screw the warranty and get a Berger motorsports JB4. 100hp gain at the crank/80 at the wheels. Fully tuned with bolt ons it's +215 or something. Vishnu also makes a good tune.
Hell of a car, I want a 135i. Fully tuned they can stay with some of the Italians.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
I got mine back in August....Love it!!!

That's a good price!

If it is CPO'ed, they should have addressed any open recalls/TSB like Software update, Fuel Pump...etc.

I had my electric water pump and battery go since I owned mine....all covered under warranty.

Get Cobb Tuning for the chip/flash. It is the easiest to install/uninstall, holds its resale value, very smooth/reliable, downloading updated software is a breeze, and dyno's are showing it is the most powerful.

AFE Stage 2 & Injen makes a good intake. But most of the intakes will do almost the same job....give or take.

I got Cobb Tuning Stage 1, AFE Stage 2 intake, & UUC/Corsa exhaust on mine.

healthynine

Ready to race!
Check out amsperformance.com. They had a project 335 at one point. When I was considering this car I found there weren't a ton of options with mods.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
With full exhaust tune intake etc how much can you make to the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOTS! I've heard of guys hitting somewhere north of 400 fully tuned and bolted

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
I havent heard. I assume it handles it fine, they are using on the X Ms that have 555 hp. Probably not the same specifics as each other but close I would guess.

l8apexlady

Eat. Sleep. Autocross.
I have a 07 335xi. They put a killer engine in a just-good-enough suspension. IMO if you are going to mod under the hood, mod the suspension + brakes first. The OEM control arms and struts actually get bent from stress, and pretty easily from what I have heard. Also, the front tie rod ends can bind up quickly so have those replaced and filled with anti-seize. This is a common issue with most BMWs (happens in my 95 M3 also) but can be remedied easily.

The other thing I'd recommend is, if it's a 6 speed, replacing the clutch delay valve with a straight pipe. I thought my foot was dragging on the clutch but it's actually the freaking valve. Can be fixed DIY or at a shop, and also a good reason to go in and bleed the clutch and brakes and fill with ATE Super Blue or something with a higher boiling point than stock brake fluid.

Have fun!!

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Cobb Tuning Stage 2+ makes 400-410whp & 420-430wtq.

Stage 2+ = intake, dp's, & intercooler.

If only the N55's could make that kind of power :(