GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Breaking in coast?

VeliVel

Just picked up my new golf mk8 , had a mk7.5 and this new one feels great to drive apart from it constantly feeling like it’s breaking lightly constantly, especially on the lanes and been behind other cars, soon as let go of the gas and coast the car puts on the breaks to make a big safe gap. I tried turning off the safety feature but seemed to do nothing. Also annoying having to turn off the lane thing every time.

Is there a way to stop this stupid soft breaking proximity thing?

oakserver

Hi, if you take your foot of the accelerator and you are coming up to a roundabout or junction or speed lower speed limit, or if you are gaining proximity to a car in front the regenerative braking kicks in.

Basically the resistance recharges the 48v battery and allows the car to coast and apparently even assist when you accelerate. It can be quite annoying but you do get used to it. In fact I was driving my wife's car the other day and was expecting it to brake when getting close to the car in front which of course it didn't and left me a bit too close for comfort.

I've not tried to turn it off, but there are settings to disable to stop / start and perhaps the eco mode

VeliVel

Hi, if you take your foot of the accelerator and you are coming up to a roundabout or junction or speed lower speed limit, or if you are gaining proximity to a car in front the regenerative braking kicks in.

Basically the resistance recharges the 48v battery and allows the car to coast and apparently even assist when you accelerate. It can be quite annoying but you do get used to it. In fact I was driving my wife's car the other day and was expecting it to brake when getting close to the car in front which of course it didn't and left me a bit too close for comfort.

I've not tried to turn it off, but there are settings to disable to stop / start and perhaps the eco mode
Yeah it’s defo a bit annoying, feels like the car is taking over the joy of the drive. I have to drive about 20miles each day on lanes and at 50-60mph soon as I’m about 10 car’s length from a car soon as you try coast it pushes you back , I get safety etc but i have driven for many years and it’s never been a issue, just get the odd distance light pop up saying slow up. But having the car literally push the breaks in none stop as soon as you release the pedal is treating me like you can’t drive so the car will show you how. If I wanted a self driving car I would get one. I want a car I’m fully in control of.

it literally does it when you go anywhere near a car, even at the end of a junction or as other cars slow. I hate it I’ll have to get used to it as more and more new cars are taking the fun out of it so we don’t have much choice.

Also does it light up the break lights? If it does then people behind me are going to think I’m pressing them none stop.

Please hope someone can say there is a fix. Even if it’s a every time you start the car like the also dumb lane wheel thing I have to turn off each time ugh! When you forget and try take over a bike and the car pulls you back into the lane where the bike is. Then try’s breaking because the bikes there, but fights to keep you behind it at a slow speed 😂

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah it’s defo a bit annoying, feels like the car is taking over the joy of the drive. I have to drive about 20miles each day on lanes and at 50-60mph soon as I’m about 10 car’s length from a car soon as you try coast it pushes you back , I get safety etc but i have driven for many years and it’s never been a issue, just get the odd distance light pop up saying slow up. But having the car literally push the breaks in none stop as soon as you release the pedal is treating me like you can’t drive so the car will show you how. If I wanted a self driving car I would get one. I want a car I’m fully in control of.

it literally does it when you go anywhere near a car, even at the end of a junction or as other cars slow. I hate it I’ll have to get used to it as more and more new cars are taking the fun out of it so we don’t have much choice.

Also does it light up the break lights? If it does then people behind me are going to think I’m pressing them none stop.

Please hope someone can say there is a fix. Even if it’s a every time you start the car like the also dumb lane wheel thing I have to turn off each time ugh! When you forget and try take over a bike and the car pulls you back into the lane where the bike is. Then try’s breaking because the bikes there, but fights to keep you behind it at a slow speed 😂
You need to turn off Eco-Assist in the Assist menu. When Eco-Assist is on and you are coasting, it will automatically slow you down when you approach a vehicle in front (even if ACC is not engaged), when you approach a speed limit at a higher speed than the limit, or if it sees you’re approaching a bend or junction.

Good idea in principle, but I agree - it’s annoying, so I’ve switched it off.

By the way, when the system is working, the brake lights do come on if the deceleration is more than a certain threshold - basically if it is more than normal engine braking.

The regeneration system will still work when you touch the brakes, and you will get a mix of regenerative braking and normal braking.

VeliVel

You need to turn off Eco-Assist in the Assist menu. When Eco-Assist is on and you are coasting, it will automatically slow you down when you approach a vehicle in front (even if ACC is not engaged), when you approach a speed limit at a higher speed than the limit, or if it sees you’re approaching a bend or junction.

Good idea in principle, but I agree - it’s annoying, so I’ve switched it off.

By the way, when the system is working, the brake lights do come on if the deceleration is more than a certain threshold - basically if it is more than normal engine braking.

The regeneration system will still work when you touch the brakes, and you will get a mix of regenerative braking and normal braking.
I have just been looking and I can’t find the eco assist at all? I’m not sure if I’m looking in the right area as this new layout is bit confusing. I opened the assist menu by pressing the button on the end of indicator, for the lane assist and then scrolled down but only had acc and traffic things to turn off. What part is it in.
Thanks for giving me a idea of why it’s doing this. I have changed modes loads to try get that eco logo from popping up but even in sport it comes on when coast.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
The Assist menu is accessed by the hard key just below the infotainment screen.

20210703_113034.jpg

Or you can access it from the Home Screen.

20210703_113042.jpg

Press the menu button on the top left......

20210703_114347.jpg

.....and you will see the Eco-Assist button.

20210703_114352.jpg

If you want to avoid the same thing happening when using Adaptive Cruise control (ie slowing for speed limits or road layout) you also need to switch off road recognition and speed limit preview in the ACC menu.
20210703_113152 (1).jpg

VeliVel

The Assist menu is accessed by the hard key just below the infotainment screen.

View attachment 218488

Or you can access it from the Home Screen.

View attachment 218489

Press the menu button on the top left......

View attachment 218490

.....and you will see the Eco-Assist button.

View attachment 218491

If you want to avoid the same thing happening when using Adaptive Cruise control (ie slowing for speed limits or road layout) you also need to switch off road recognition and speed limit preview in the ACC menu.
View attachment 218492
Thank you I will try all this in a min and hopefully when I drive it’s all sorted. Thank you for the easy to follow guide. I appreciate it.
need the invincible driving instructor removed from my car 😂. Driving reminds me of them horrible learning days even 20 yrs on.

pauldy

Hi, I have tried all of these and it makes no difference either in or out of ACC. My Golf 8 GTE still slows down by itself approaching junctions and road speed signs. Any other suggestions anyone ?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi, I have tried all of these and it makes no difference either in or out of ACC. My Golf 8 GTE still slows down by itself approaching junctions and road speed signs. Any other suggestions anyone ?
As your Golf is the GTE model, it could be the slowing down is a function of regenerative braking - i.e. the car is harvesting energy to recharge the battery. Normal for a hybrid or BEV.

pauldy

As your Golf is the GTE model, it could be the slowing down is a function of regenerative braking - i.e. the car is harvesting energy to recharge the battery. Normal for a hybrid or BEV.
Yes I get that, but I want to decide when to break, slow down and harvest energy not have the car decide for me ….. particularly when it misreads road signs and misjudges junctions.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
In most hybrids or BEV’s you can adjust the degree of regeneration when coasting. I don’t have a mk8 Golf GTE so can’t tell you where in the vehicle settings to check, although if you have your driving mode set to ECO, then we suspect there’s a good chance regeneration / energy recuperation will be at maximum.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
When you are using Adaptive Cruise control (in any Mk8), if you have switched off road recognition and speed limit preview in the ACC menu (see last photo in post #6) then the car should not slow for speed limits or road layout. If it does, despite switching the preview off, then there may be a fault.

The advice regarding coasting was aimed at users of the eTSI models which coast with the engine off in certain circumstances. If you switch off Eco Assist (photo 5 in post #6) in an eTSI, then, when the eTSI is coasting, it will no longer automatically slow you down when you approach a vehicle in front, a speed limit, or a bend or junction. I'm not sure how coasting works in a GTE - it may be different to the eTSI.