GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Budget PC Build

glory

Ready to race!
I'm building a PC for my gf's parents and would like your guys' thoughts/comments on the build so far. Budget is $700 CDN (w/ taxes) for hardware, OS (win7), and monitor. The computer will be used for surfing the internet, e-mail, making movies/slideshows from family photos, light gaming, and word/excel. This is upgrading a few year old HP pre-built comp which runs off E7400 (I think), 6GB ram, 1TB HDD, etc.

CPU: Intel i3 3220 ($129.33 -NCIX)
PSU: CM GX 450W ($56.119 - NCIX)
RAM: Corsair XMS CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB ($37.79 - NCIX)
HDD: WD 1TB Green ($89.98 - NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H77M-D3H ($99.99-NCIX)
Video Card: N/A
Case: Antec One ($52.34 - Local store)
Other: SD Card reader (still looking)

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ($100.39 - Local Store)

Monitor: Asus VS208N-P ($117.77 - Local Store)

Total = $683.78

This is slightly over budget with taxes (10%) so looking to drop it a bit. Suggestions?

Thanks! :D

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Use Linux Mint for the OS, save $100.

:D

Pretty good build, I generally don't use Cooler Master stuff, especially PSUs. If you can get a Corsair or OCZ that would be more reliable.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
For that budget and objective the pre-builts are hard to beat these days. Plus they have someone other than you to bug for support... ;)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/392480/B634_Desktop_Computer
$515 US, which your quoted prices seem to match right up with US prices.
Intel Core i5-3450
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
2TB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
SuperMulti DVDRW Drive
Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader
Intel HD Graphics 2500
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wireless

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
I was pricing out going AMD since it would be cheaper but even then at most a $60-70 savings. Any cheaper and you would start to have to compromise on performance. I also agree to stay away from Cooler Master PSUs, stay with Corsair, Antec, Seasonic.

I would consider what nouse4aname mentioned and check out pricing on some prebuilts.

Also nice to see some fellow Linux users on here :D

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I would look at a better brand PSU in that price range (you don't want to skimp here). Maybe you can shave some $$ by going w/ a smaller HD. Doubt they will need 1tb.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Reuse the existing monitor, hard drive, and OS(or use existing OS to upgrade to Win8 for cheap). Upgrade power supply, processor, and get a solid state drive to have this budget build flying. :)

Or is the existing PC being upgraded actually being given to someone else?

glory

Ready to race!
Ya I don't know why I went CM for the PSU that will change. In Canada, AMD A10-5800K (which is the equivalent to i3 3220 pretty much) is pretty much the same price as the i3. So I will probably stay with the i3.

The old computer is being put out into the garage most likely so everything there will be moved along with it.

Linux is a no can do, since it just wouldnt work with the users.

As for pre-builts having a hard time finding any decent ones in Canada (most use older gen's of CPUs).

Gotta do more work on this - better PSU, smaller HDD (500-750GB), better deals.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
You can get an AMD Phenom II X4 965BE for $89.99 on Newegg.ca. That will beat out an Intel i3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2