GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a car that isn't a VW.........

pipsyp

Ready to race!
......as the topic suggests.

In the process of being made voluntarily redundant from work. Will be losing my company car so would be going down to one car. Not the end of the world but we've tried to live with one car before and it didn't work out.

I've therefore decided to go and buy something cheap...but with the emphasis of it being both useful and interesting.

I'm therefore likely (assuming my friend gives it the mechanical green light) tomorrow buying a 2001 Subaru Forester S Turbo auto.

It's the later 177ps model...it's an auto which wasn't my preference but the biggest lure for me is that it hasn't missed a service in 15 years and only has 70k miles on the clock! It has the expected age related marks/wear but it's in amazing condition for its years. It's silver with colour coded plastics so looks nice.

Goes like the clappers for something of its ilk too and with that rather lovely 4 cam boxer noise. I found it all rather intoxicating.

It's not utterly bereft of equipment either....thankfully it has the all weather pack which means heated seats, wiper blades, AC and an electric panoramic roof but also has a CD player (the original Subaru one) and cruise control as well.

Reality is I am likely to pay a little over the odds for it but examples such as this don't come up everyday and it will make for a brilliant family runaround, dogmobile and bad weather car.

I will let you know my thoughts as soon as I get it but I am kind of excited!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
......as the topic suggests.

In the process of being made voluntarily redundant from work. !

Complete tangent
Does this mean
A- quit
B- medical leave
C- created a robot to do what you do thus usurping you

Love the Forester btw. Huge potential there

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I bought a 98 Accord to beat around on daily. Car needed some TLC, but only has 100k miles on and everything is power and everything works as it should. So nothing wrong with having a non-VW vehicle.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Complete tangent
Does this mean
A- quit
B- medical leave
C- created a robot to do what you do thus usurping you

Love the Forester btw. Huge potential there

Haha sorry yeah I chose and applied to leave.....probably before I was made to leave under compulsory redundancy in the not too distant future.

Thanks it's a bit quirky but even now is quite a car. It has a couple of v minor issues so plan on gradually getting it as A1 as I can justify....I might then try to extract a little more power out of it by upping the boost.

Understand they are a fairly lowly 0.55bar stock but can be raised to nearer their factory ECU over boost 0.8bar fuel cut out using a boost controller or similar.....should be around 200 brake then :)

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Yes I gather in later years they switched to a higher output 2.5 motor in 210 and 230hp guises.....I hear the 2.0 is generally the more hardy durable motor?

pipsyp

Ready to race!
So I bought it and now have it.

What a car. It's a little soft (given its jacked up ride height), the steering is a bit slow and light and lacking feel and the brakes work well but feel a bit wooden.....but it's all about the drive chain for me.

The engine even by today's standards is a lovely thing, smooth, progressive, little lag and makes a beautiful sound when extended....if anything feels a bit stronger than its book 175hp output even with the 4 speed auto box probably sapping some of the go....that said the box works well and really suits the more laid back nature of the Forester.

I plan to tidy a couple of its very minor rough edges....possibly refurbish the wheels Gloss Black, change the tyres....possibly stick Impreza Turbo four pot calipers and discs on the front and put a new head unit in (DAB, USB and Bluetooth capable) and some cheap component speakers in the OEM locations.

Power Wise gonna look into upping the boost slightly and making it breath better, would like a Haywards and Scott centre section and back box but it's got a nearly new OEM exhaust on it :-( I reckon with c. A touch over 200 horses it will be ample.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Few days in what can I really say but....WOW what a car.

Drives really well by today's standards...dread to think how I would have received a Forester S Turbo back in 2001 had I been fortunate enough to get to drive one!!

Admittedly mine in a rare, low mileage and welll cared for example but the fact absolutely everything on it works at 15 years old is testament to how rugged the things are.

It's the engine that makes it though....I've always wanted one but never owned a Subaru of its generation but the flat four turbo motor is just wonderful. Smooth, responsive and with a delicious engine note as it's revved out....even on the Forester with its relatively soft tune and stock exhaust.

Dare I say it, whilst it has its flaws (it's has loads of grip but doesn't handle that superbly when really thrown around and the brakes work but are wooden) it offers a greater sense of occasion than the GTD....probably entirely down to that turbo petrol motor.

I'm actually looking for any opportunity now just to take it for a spin which is what a car is all about.....and a couple of grand vs 20....what a result!

Anyone in the market for a cheap, quick 4x4 with real all weather potential look no further....these are increasingly hard to come by but I genuinely cannot recommend the Forester SF S turbo highly enough.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
If I was to buy a car that wasn't the GTI, I think I'd actually go for the Focus ST. It's weird Bc the interior was laughably bad in comparison and I had a funny exp test driving one, but all that being said they seem like a fun daily driver. Not as much potential but the front end on those cars looks sleak.

WRX, if only they had some damn head room.

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
If I was to buy a car that wasn't the GTI, I think I'd actually go for the Focus ST. It's weird Bc the interior was laughably bad in comparison and I had a funny exp test driving one, but all that being said they seem like a fun daily driver. Not as much potential but the front end on those cars looks sleak.

WRX, if only they had some damn head room.

how old are you? :confused:

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion