GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Camera recommendations

torga

Autocross Newbie
on the 'gram, you can tell when it's DSLR vs an iPhone
Landscapes with a deep depth of field, it's a little harder. Turn up the sharpness (conservatively), edit tastefully, and damn... new phones are crazy good (Pixel, iPhone). I put A LOT of stock into my phone camera because "the best camera is the one you've got with you". So I'm a die-hard Pixel user.
But once you start getting into closer focal lengths or shallower depth of field, the valley between phone camera and DSLR with a competent user grows to be staggering. I like to walk around with either a 35mm or a 50mm prime on my DSLR for most things. If I wanna do a landscape, which I don't do too often, I just take a bunch in a grid and stitch them later. I generally shoot close.

GolNat

Drag Racing Champion
Landscapes with a deep depth of field, it's a little harder. Turn up the sharpness (conservatively), edit tastefully, and damn... new phones are crazy good (Pixel, iPhone). I put A LOT of stock into my phone camera because "the best camera is the one you've got with you". So I'm a die-hard Pixel user.
But once you start getting into closer focal lengths or shallower depth of field, the valley between phone camera and DSLR with a competent user grows to be staggering. I like to walk around with either a 35mm or a 50mm prime on my DSLR for most things. If I wanna do a landscape, which I don't do too often, I just take a bunch in a grid and stitch them later. I generally shoot close.
Nifty 50 for the win!!! My favorite lens is my 50mm 1.8.

Last time I took the camera out I used the film camera. I feel like it challenges me more to take interesting photos.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I loved my Canon point & shoots... but my budget for a DSLR is Nikon

I got a Nikon D5600 last year during their Father's Day sale. Nikon, when you buy direct from them can have some nice sales, saving you a lot of money.

daconchslop

Go Kart Newbie
Looking to get a decent camera for hiking pics, car pics, dog pics, and general photographing. Not looking to skimp on cost but not trying to overspend on stuff I don't need. I k ow that lenses really are where the money pit starts so let's have at it... what are you using and would you recommend or not?
Take a look at the Sony RX100 V. Compact, yet super powerful sensor. Fast Zeiss optics with a large focal range. Perfect daily carry IMO.

golfdave

Drag Racing Champion
M4/3s systems......lightest interchangeable lens DLSR type system....

I have an Olympus E-M1 MkII...20MP sensor, can to 50MP high res shots...upto 60fps....IPX1 splash proof...-10C proof...dust proof...

Plus the advantage of M4/3s...twice the depth of focus for the same f/stop at 35mm full frame....

daconchslop

Go Kart Newbie
M4/3s systems......lightest interchangeable lens DLSR type system....

I have an Olympus E-M1 MkII...20MP sensor, can to 50MP high res shots...upto 60fps....IPX1 splash proof...-10C proof...dust proof...

Plus the advantage of M4/3s...twice the depth of focus for the same f/stop at 35mm full frame....
I agree with this. The digital Oly and Fuji systems are really good these days. I