GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canon S5IS??

BOz

Keep right except to pass
I'm about to take the plunge into my first digital camera and was looking for something good all around for pic of the car, vacations, events, w/e. I don't know much about cameras and photography but wanted to buy a good camera to learn on. I don't need DSLR or anything. The canon S5IS has been recommended a few times and Im reading nothing but good reviews on it. Also the SD870IS has been recommended. I wanted to see if i could get any feedback from you guys on these cameras or others in my price range. I don't want to spend more than $350 +tax etc. I just found the S5IS for $299.99 at circuit city and think i might bite. Anyone know if i can change the lens etc on the S5IS. How about adjusting ISO and shutter speeds. I also want something that is relativly user friendly. Thanks for the help.

Boz

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
No experience with the S5IS camera, but check out the sites listed in this thread.
SDC would definitely provide you with answers to the questions you posed regarding it.

As far as the SD870IS, I have that camera. :w00t:
Did a ton of research beforehand and like it a lot as a "take everywhere" P&S. Gorgeous screen, easy to fit wherever, relatively rugged, and it effortlessly and consistently takes good pictures, even at night (an area none of my Sony's were exactly proficient in).

Feel free to take a look at my Photobucket, although some of the pics are quite random to say the least. :lol:
Also if you do check them out be sure to pay attention where it specifies which camera the photo was taken with. I have/have gone through quite a variety.

I'd always been a Sony guy; had 4 of their P&S cameras since '04/'05. However I'm quite pleased with the switch.
Don't want to make any sweeping generalizations, but Canons tend to be great cameras. :thumbsup:

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I have the S2 IS, my bro has the S3 IS and we both like them.

I bought my S2 when it first came out and was expensive as hell, kinda wish I waited and bought a dslr.

The features on the S3 IS are about the same as the S2 IS, but bigger MP.

I don't know why they skipped a number and went to the S5 without an S4...

We have both bought third party lens adapters that mount on the camera to allow different filters & lens'. There are similar products for the S5 - in fact I think they all use the same size adapter.

We bought ours here: http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html

BOz

Keep right except to pass
Thanks guys.. i think im going to spring for it this weekend.. appreciate the links they were very helpful.