GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I think a 200 hp fwd car is still fun - but only with an LSD. 06-11 Civic Si is starting to get low enough in price that I sometimes think I should just get one of those and leave it bone stock besides alignment and tires vs. modding a celica for future mr2 transplant. I could just keep the si as a beater forever and buy an already swapped mr2 later for basically the same final cost.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
There's one big point of ignorance I have that I really should work on though: I have never actually driven any RWD car in snow/ice, that is why I want to go to one of these winter autocross events with the vette.

I still assume that I "need" something with weight over the driven wheels (i.e. FF or MR/RR platform) for snow traction, but I do not know that for a fact at all. Having to deal with a lot of hills makes it especially annoying to not have AWD though, I do know that much.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
There's one big point of ignorance I have that I really should work on though: I have never actually driven any RWD car in snow/ice, that is why I want to go to one of these winter autocross events with the vette.

I still assume that I "need" something with weight over the driven wheels (i.e. FF or MR/RR platform) for snow traction, but I do not know that for a fact at all. Having to deal with a lot of hills makes it especially annoying to not have AWD though, I do know that much.
I drive a beater E34 with LSD and shitty all season tires in the snow and it's slow but fun. I put some sandbags over the rear axle for more weight and it helps. Acceleration is poor but it's because of the tires. With proper winter tires it would be fine.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
My ATS does great in the snow with all season runcraps. Never been stuck, and I've driven through some nasty stuff.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion

I used to own an F150, my last work truck was an F150, and my current is an Explorer (ugh). All are/were RWD with open diffs. They're fine in the snow. Just don't come to a full stop or you're done. With proper winter tires it would be a non-issue.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Snow and RWD all comes down to tires.

Pickups are particularly disadvantaged, doe, because of the light rear end. Add a little payload, and you'd be fine.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Snow and RWD all comes down to tires.

Pickups are particularly disadvantaged, doe, because of the light rear end. Add a little payload, and you'd be fine.

Ol Blue on rock-hard 12 year old tires does fine in some pretty crazy snow in 2WD. It's all about throttle modulation, and avoiding a full stop as already mentioned.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

Yes, piss poor design on that front. I measured the thing. 13 degree incline = 23% grade. If you fail and slide down you crash into the fucking house so I've been afraid to even try it.

You can't always avoid a full stop. Cars in front of you, things of that nature.

:word:

The way I have to come home every day puts me at a stop sign like 1 car length down from the top of a short but steep-ish hill, probably on the order of 10% grade. You can't just blow the sign, it's too dangerous - can't see if any cars are coming from one direction until you're all the way at the top. You have to stop.

Get a running start. :laugh:

Yeah, need launch control :lol:

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
So in a flat urban area it's fine - I knew that.

It's a 23% grade to get out of my driveway, how is it on those?
Not sure about hills but I don't live in the actual city anymore and it's common to have to drive through actual snow out here. Get some winter tires and try it out, only way to see for sure.

Put up some barriers in your garage so you just smash up the car and not the house if you slide back down :D

Sent from my balls