GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car moving after put in park

dmclone

Oval Champion
Maybe it's just me but it seems like after I put the car in park it rolls a lot compared to other cars I've owned. Is this normal? I have DSG,

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
We have a 06 Passat, 06 Jetta TDI and my 06 GTi they all do it. I don't know why.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Kurupt-MK5 said:
its due to having front and back disk breaks... and yea use the ebreak

I don't think it has anything to do with having disk brakes all around. I can't even remember the last car I had that didnt have disk brakes all around, and I have never a car with as much roll in park as the mkv.

But I do agree with you on using the ebrake! :wink:

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Yeah, disc brakes have nothong to do with it. There is a parking pawl in the trans that locks it up.
"The parking pawl locks the transmission's output shaft to the transmission casing by engaging a pawl (a pin) that engages in a notched wheel on the shaft, stopping it (and thus the driven wheels) from turning."
-Wikipedia

This is the mechanism from an old Ford trans, but they should be silimar throughout most all autos.

And yes, you should use the ebrake on top of putting it in park.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
the_saint said:
Yeah, disc brakes have nothong to do with it. There is a parking pawl in the trans that locks it up.
"The parking pawl locks the transmission's output shaft to the transmission casing by engaging a pawl (a pin) that engages in a notched wheel on the shaft, stopping it (and thus the driven wheels) from turning."
-Wikipedia

This is the mechanism from an old Ford trans, but they should be silimar throughout most all autos.

And yes, you should use the ebrake on top of putting it in park.

Yes, many torque converter automatics use that technique and thus you don't need to use your
ebrake to park the car. However, the DSG is the same as a manual trans, thus if it's in "park" the clutch could be engaged in gear to hold the car in park as many do with their manual trans cars, but we also use our ebrake to lesseg the holding load on the trans, or equal it out somewhat.
The DSG not a typical automatic. I don't have a DSG yet, but I am curious as to what the manual says to do when you park the car?
I would still do what I do with my manual cars and that's engage the ebrake and then shut off the engine.

What does the DSG manual state about parking?

T

naim amiouni

Passed Driver's Ed
Because the GTI MKV is a double clutch gearbox it acts like a car with any normal manual gearbox.When in first or reverse apply the brakes and accelerations at the same time especially on a slope.It can cause gearbox problems with time watch out.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
GTT said:
Yes, many torque converter automatics use that technique and thus you don't need to use your
ebrake to park the car. However, the DSG is the same as a manual trans, thus if it's in "park" the clutch could be engaged in gear to hold the car in park as many do with their manual trans cars, but we also use our ebrake to lesseg the holding load on the trans, or equal it out somewhat.
The DSG not a typical automatic. I don't have a DSG yet, but I am curious as to what the manual says to do when you park the car?
I would still do what I do with my manual cars and that's engage the ebrake and then shut off the engine.

What does the DSG manual state about parking?

T

Anyone?
:iono:
Anyone with a DSG and an operating manual? Please?

T

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
Use your e-brake. My 2001 A4 Tiptronic did the same thing. It's just the way the transmission builder builds them, in this case Borg-Warner.

plac

GTI Master
Use your ebrake!! Don't rest your car on the tranny. Its not too hard to do.

when the dealer gave me back my car today they did teh exact same thing. Didnt use the handbrake and i watched my car roll until it clicked. No big deal, but dont be lazy.

katie

Autocross Champion
I use my e-brake and my friends are like "why do you do that? you don't have a manual" but yeah whenever I feel the kick, I just pull on my e-brake. Just a reaction I guess.

plac

GTI Master
That pawl is not meant to hold a 3000lb car... And eventually it will break if you roll on it every day.