GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cash for Clunkers

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
The Federal govt has an incentive program aimed at people who will trade in their gas guzzling cars and trade them in for more efficient vehicles.
If any of you were looking for a great time to trade in one of your gas guzzlers you can get $3500 or $4500 from the govt (depending on what new car you buy).
Sounds like a great time to buy a Dub :thumbsup:

Q: If the House bill becomes law, how would it work?

A: The government would send up to $4,500 to the selling dealer on your behalf, if you:

1. Trade in a car that — this is a key point — has been registered and in use for at least a year, and has a federal combined city/highway fuel-economy rating of 18 or fewer miles per gallon.

2. Buy a new car, priced at $45,000 or less and rated at least 4 mpg better than the old one (gets a $3,500 voucher). If the new one gets at least 10 mpg better, you get the full $4,500.

Example: Trade that well-worn 1985 Chevrolet Impala V-8 police special, rated 14 mpg, for a 2009 Impala V-8 rated 19 mpg and the government will kick in $3,500. Downsize to Chevy Cobalt (27 mpg) or even a larger Honda Accord (24 mpg) and get $4,500.

Mileage ratings back to 1985 are at www.fueleconomy.gov.

Q: What about trucks?

A: It's more complicated.

For standard-duty models — most SUVs, vans and pickups:

1. The old one must be rated 18 mpg or less.

2. The new one must be at least 2 mpg better for $3,500 or at least 5 mpg better for $4,500.

For heavy-duties (6,000 to 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating):

1. The old one must be rated 15 mpg or less.

2. The new one must be rated at least 1 mpg better for $3,500, or 2 mpg or more for $4,500.

Work trucks (8,500 to 10,000 lbs.) don't have mpg ratings, so age is the criteria. The old one has to be a 2001 model or older. And only $3,500 is available.

Google Cash for Clunkers for more info or check this out:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...nker-bill.aspx

http://www.examiner.com/x-12465-Wash...irresponsblity

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...clunkers_N.htm

MBH

American Nightmare
what about leases? If we end the lease early to pick up a dub, will the gov't pay?

MBH

American Nightmare
I heard the car you are trading in has to be worth less than $4500

I don't think so? That's initially what I imagined the program to be (pre 19xx vehicles only) but this makes it sound different.

Example: Trade that well-worn 1985 Chevrolet Impala V-8 police special, rated 14 mpg, for a 2009 Impala V-8 rated 19 mpg and the government will kick in $3,500. Downsize to Chevy Cobalt (27 mpg) or even a larger Honda Accord (24 mpg) and get $4,500.
an 09 Imp with a v8 would be pretty good indication that there isn't a value/age minimum of the car? The funny catch there is that you need to own the vehicle for 1.5 years. Must have been a very early production build example or my mental calendar is all outta whack?

Last edited:

L4rry_B1rd

4021/5000
My friend is trading in a 97 Blazer for 09 Jetta Wagon TDI. He's getting a sick deal with the extra $4500!