GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

changing ABS Module

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
my 2009 GTI came down with the 01130 "implausible signal" ABS code so looking at changing the module, I have a few questions for anyone that has gone down this road...
1-anyone successfully gotten the module out of the car without pulling the abs pump as well? it doesnt look like it can be done but thought i would ask.
2-do i have to bleed the clutch in addition to the brakes?
3-what information do i need to pull off the old module before i take it out? i have VCDS but I have never had to program a module before.

Thanks for any help! 🍺

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I don't know I bought the car a couple years ago. i knew vw changed a lot of these years ago I didn't know that was still an option now. I'll call tomorrow and see.

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
abs scan below so VW should have to fix this for free right?

Wednesday,03,November,2021,16:32:27:10257
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 21.9.0.2 (x64) HEX-NET2 CB: 0.4555.4
Data version: 20210903 DS330.0
www.Ross-Tech.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 907 379 CD HW: 1K0 907 379 AD
Component and/or Version: ESP MK60EC1 H35 0120
Software Coding: 113B600D492900FA880B06ED922200413000
Work Shop Code: WSC 46067 002 1048576
VCID: 76BE8C9258C5BCAB8DD-8022
1 Fault Found:
01130 - ABS Operation
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 55
Mileage: 147436 km
Time Indication: 0
Freeze Frame:
Count: 0
Count: 4608
Count: 125
Count: 50192
Count: 61415

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
abs scan below so VW should have to fix this for free right?

Wednesday,03,November,2021,16:32:27:10257
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 21.9.0.2 (x64) HEX-NET2 CB: 0.4555.4
Data version: 20210903 DS330.0
www.Ross-Tech.com
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 907 379 CD HW: 1K0 907 379 AD
Component and/or Version: ESP MK60EC1 H35 0120
Software Coding: 113B600D492900FA880B06ED922200413000
Work Shop Code: WSC 46067 002 1048576
VCID: 76BE8C9258C5BCAB8DD-8022
1 Fault Found:
01130 - ABS Operation
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 55
Mileage: 147436 km
Time Indication: 0
Freeze Frame:
Count: 4608
Count: 125
Count: 50192
Count: 61415
Was it part of the recall?? If yes was the recall software updated? If yes Vw stated in the link above that after the software update if you have one of the two codes they specified they then would replace the ABS module right then and if at a later time you get one of two codes they replace the module for free. No time or mileage limit is give for that free replacement.

If its not part of the recall file a complaint with Nhsta about the issue, the more people file the better the chance that Vw might extend the recall to other VINs and if your VIN is included you should be able to get money back for replacing the module on your dime if done by the book.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
looked it up on vw's website and there's nothing for my VIN.
If I am recalling correctly only cars that have an open recall will be on VW website you need to talk with the dealer or VW customer service and find out if a recall was done on the car. If it was done do not clear the code take to dealer for replacement.

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
i have an appointment today with the dealer, they did say the software update was done at some point and if everything checked out they would take care of it so hopefully they don't find a way to screw me out of having this done for free.

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
crappy update......dealer said my abs module did not fail for the right reason so it's not covered. i went around and around with 2 different service people and they said it would only be covered if it failed due to some kind of grounding issue and that was not why mine failed, all they would say is that mine was "bad". quoted me $3100 to change it ($2400 for the module and $500 for labor), and told me it would take 6 months to get the module in. no way in hell am i paying that much for this so I'm going to drive it the way it is until i feel like doing it myself.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
crappy update......dealer said my abs module did not fail for the right reason so it's not covered. i went around and around with 2 different service people and they said it would only be covered if it failed due to some kind of grounding issue and that was not why mine failed, all they would say is that mine was "bad". quoted me $3100 to change it ($2400 for the module and $500 for labor), and told me it would take 6 months to get the module in. no way in hell am i paying that much for this so I'm going to drive it the way it is until i feel like doing it myself.

This is BS by the dealer you need to talk to VW customer care 1-800-822-8987 or go to another dealer or regional Rep. You posted the codes that VW wants to see after they do the software update to replace the module either right than after the update or for free at a later date if the code/s pop up and you have no other ABS issues. Your scan shows one of those codes 01130 plus line four of freeze frame data 125.

From their own documents "If faults 01130: ABS Operation – Implausible
Signal with 125 shown in the 4th line of the
Expanded ambient conditions and/or 16352: Control
Module Faulty with 96 shown in the 4th line of the
Expanded ambient conditions are stored in the ABS
Control Module (address word 0003), the ABS module will require replacement."

They are probably trying to get paid twice once by VW under the recall & then by you. You need to fight this you have the documentation & the code unless you or they cleared it.

PS the new replacement modules are approx. 1K not 2.4K total BS by dealer

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I have an 09 too, died before the recall came out. I just bought used one from a MK6 GTI off ebay for $60 and put it in. Copied old coding over in VCDS and saved it then did all the required basic settings. Had to add 00 to end of coding to get it to accept. Its cramped area to work in but not too hard to replace. Also with a MK6 ABS module you can enable the "electronic lsd" that applies brake to the required side during during cornering

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
called VW yesterday.....first they tried telling me the recall was only for software and had nothing to do with replacing any parts, i had to read them the recall documents and give them the page number where it clearly states they will replace the module if it fails after the software update with the right codes. then they came back and said they were going to back the dealer and if the dealer said it wasn't covered then it wasn't covered as far as they are concerned, and they did not care what my diagnostic tools said they only care about what the dealer's equipment says. they suggested either i go back to the dealer and argue some more or go get a 2nd opinion from another dealer. there is another dealer not far from where i live so either i go there and see what happens or call it a day and fix it myself. i am not too eager to go drop another 100 bucks for codes that i already have.

budgetphoenix do you remember what part number you used? did you buy the module and the pump or just the module? ECS only has 1 part number listed 1K0907375BA (mkvi) but states there are 3 or 4 different pump assemblies that it needs.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Fight it you have the dtc, the dealer scan tool will also pull up that same code unless they start to play games like clear the code. I would scan the car right at the dealer with service advisor there so they can see you got the Dtc with your Vcds. What has happened to you has also happened to other people, software update done and no dtc pops up than sometime later dtc pops up and then dealer starts to play games. I take it they did not give you a printout of what their scanner pulled for dtc in ABS. You should also file complaint with Nhtsa about your issue about Vw/dealer not fixing issue.

mkvmiami

Car(s)
MKV GTI
I had the same error code and issue with the 125 in the 4th freeze frame line and after contacting VW and my local dealership confirming the error code they are in the processes of replacing the ABS control module under the recall. There's a warranty extension for the ABS control module as part of the recall, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be replacing it for you.

Last edited: