GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing to “update to ‘29” thread

swcrow

Autocross Champion
So I’m just going to make this my “what am I doing to the 29” thread

Door seals have sucked and I’ve been lazy…. Ignoring them for years. Finally replaced them. Huge difference in closing the doors and keeping them snug

IMG_4759.jpeg
IMG_4761.jpeg
IMG_4760.jpeg
IMG_4762.jpeg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
That car deserves it's own build thread.
I'm just going to turn this thread into that.

Threw the hood back on with old "wingnut solution"......been running without it for awhile.....nice to have a change up.

Putting her into an indie hot rod mechanic 16 July.....my list for him to fix/work on:

1. Fix fueling issue......it's not venting and makes fueling a PITA
2. Fuel gauge kind does/kinda doesn't work well
3. fabricate a sway bar solution......she rocks like a boat and constantly causes the rear tires to rub on EVERY turn
4. weld off the firewall seam and throw on a carb scoop intake.
5. Look at what it would take to remove the wheel fenders and turn her into a highboy

swcrow

Autocross Champion
okay....engine build/swap time.

This 2 bolt 350 needs to go.

Had a discussion with a buddy at a church bbq who is a huge diesel engine guy who collects and has a cummins he could give me, but don't think the transmission could handle it.

Enter the 366 engine discussion.....the commercial truck version of the 350....more torque (which really is all I need in the '29)....AND he has a recovery truck to lift the engine in/out.....

He's going to confirm a few things before we pull the trigger, but I may have found a winner to upgrade my engine to

we talked about a 383 but I don't think my frame is built to support it

swcrow

Autocross Champion
29 dropped off at indie Mech shop….. stay tuned 😎

I want to move towards this look
IMG_4765.jpeg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
So looks like taking the fenders off is going to be a major muscle movement....may have to do that down the road. Also, may not need the sway bar.....going to replace the rear shocks as it looks like they're blown.

So ordered this while it's in the shop too....
IMG_4865.jpeg

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
So looks like taking the fenders off is going to be a major muscle movement....may have to do that down the road. Also, may not need the sway bar.....going to replace the rear shocks as it looks like they're blown.

So ordered this while it's in the shop too....
View attachment 286460
are you trying to take the fenders off because you want to run a side exhaust? Can you just run it under the current fender, or will heat/too low to the ground be an issue there?

Also hell yea I love a big old scoop!

.....I'm more interested in this build than I am in any other build on the forum :ROFLMAO:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
are you trying to take the fenders off because you want to run a side exhaust? Can you just run it under the current fender, or will heat/too low to the ground be an issue there?

Also hell yea I love a big old scoop!

.....I'm more interested in this build than I am in any other build on the forum :ROFLMAO:
yeah so I want to do an over-the-frame header to exhaust.....exhaust currently tucks in with close headers and I have two center pipes in the rear. I think If I ran them under the current fenders, it'd be way too low.

I thought about adding a 3-2 intake manifold, but don't want to keep them synch'd ...also cost. I figured I'd pick up the scoop KNOWING it interferes with my firewall seam....my mech might just block/channel/mod the scoop to make it work.

Currently working on replacement rear shocks.....pro shock part number isn't used anymore, so he's removing/measuring the existing shock and looking to move up from 225 spring to 250 to eliminate the body roll.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Replacement coilovers on order and scoop being added today…Guy is fabricating a spacer to make work instead of cutting firewall seam…pics incoming

swcrow

Autocross Champion
So '29 is done for now.....new coilovers installed in the rear, dialed in for even ride height....hoping it solves the massive body roll issue (as old ones were shot evidently).

Pics coming.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Looks good... Speedway is where I got my parts to make my rear hatch brace bar. I had never heard of them before.
That’s where I got my coilovers, and the air scoop from!

Talk to me about this rear hatch brace bar!!!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
That’s where I got my coilovers, and the air scoop from!

Talk to me about this rear hatch brace bar!!!
It was a while ago that I did it.. I picked up a swedged tube and some black billet end links. I painted it body color with rattle cans and popped a couple nutserts into the seat latch area. I made the custom rear seat delete at the same time. It doesn't work with the rear seat installed like a UB or the one with fancy billet brackets.