GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Cheap' 9.2" Screen Upgrade for MIB2 Cars - Hacked Chinese Delphi Units

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Since not everybody on the forum follows my build thread, I figured I'd post a separate thread here about my latest adventure; putting a 9.2" screen and hacked MIB2 unit in my car.

First, I'd have to give a big shout out to the random guy on FB who posted a link asking "Has anybody installed this?" prompting me to try it out, and @Cuzoe & @brentgti for helping me actually get it in a good state once it arrived! So let's jump right in!

Are you like me, a sucker for technology, and have lusted over of the smooth 9.2" screen that never came in Golfs here in the US? Do you hate knobs and physical buttons mucking up your infotainment screen? Do you think VW's factory navigation and maps are junk, and think satellite radio is a rip off, because Spotify is all the music you need? Did you answer yes to all these questions, but have balked at the $1,400 - $2,400 price tag?

Well boy, have I got some good news for you then!

Someone on Facebook had posted a link for this:

1688074265902.png

(Actual link)

A 9.2" screen, and some unknown MIB2 unit, for $580. Which is much more palpable than other options. After some back and forth with the seller, which was difficult given the language barrier, I was able to find out the unit is 'activated' (meaning no Component Protection removal needed), and open to coding. Which was enough for me to take the chance. With dash the trim & tax, was looking at $650 all in.

1688074435768.png

NOTE: Before attempting to install, make a full backup of long coding & adaptions with OBD11/VCDS, and take screenshots of all the long coding bytes of the 5F module!

Once I got it in, I found out the MIB2 unit was a Chinese market Delphi MIBD2STD unit.

1688074550594.png

For people who have never done it, install is very easy. The MIB unit in the glovebox, you just use two of the removal keys, and it pulls right out. It has enough slack to get the quadlock and all cables out. The hardest part is getting the trim off to get access to the old screen. Once that's off though, it's 4 of the removal keys and it pops right off.

1688074619149.png

Reverse the steps to put everything back together. The new unit won't utilize the Brown plug you probably found on the original unit, which is for the satellite radio antenna. And for the screen, the Blue plug on the back, you do need to take a razor to shave off the little plastic guides.

1688075044288.png

Everything booted right up, although I did find 3 issues that were fixed with coding (will cover how to fix in a bit); I had no sound, my rear view camera wouldn't activate, and my drive mode button wouldn't work. Once those were corrected, everything worked as expected.

1688075129019.png

If you ask me, that's how the MK8 interior should have been. A good compromise between technology, retaining physical buttons on the steering wheel, but not burying everything inside the infotainment.
(Please ignore my dirty floor mats)

FAQs

So who is this for?

This is best for someone who wants the 9.2" screen, and primarily uses Android Auto\Apple CarPlay. As there are some missing native features, you want to utilize those 3rd party solutions to get around that. Myself, it's perfect, because I use one of the wireless adapters, so I have Android Auto running 100% of the time I'm in my car.

You mention drawbacks, what are they?
Notably, there are no US maps on the unit (and I haven't figured out how to get them working), and there is no satellite radio. As far as I can tell, all the other features are there.

There's a bunch of listings on AliExpress, would you reccomend that LemonShark seller?
I have no complaints about them. They were always responsive to me. The screen I received ended up having a defect in it that became apparent once I had a lighter background on it, a yellow\brown spot on the top center

1688075443036.png

Right away, they gave me a shipping label to return it to a US address, and are having a replacement screen sent out. For dealing with a seller halfway around the world, I have no complaints.

EDIT: Just to update, this ended up not being a defect on the screen. The seller did send me a replacement screen, and it was fine when I did a test fit. Put it back together, had the same mark on the screen. It was caused by the trim putting too much pressure on the top of the screen in that spot, causing the colors to get deformed. Did a quick operation on the trim to cut back the backside of the bezel, and was fine after that.

I did this and my sound doesn't work, what do I do?
You need to change long coding byte 11 to send output to the fender amp. It is probably set to 01, change it to 02.

I did this and my drive mode button doesn't work, what do I do?
Need to change some adaptations:

In Car_Function_Adaptions_Gen2, change:
menu_display_charisma to activated
menu_display_charisma_after_disclaimer to not activated
menu_display_charisma_clamp_15_off to not activated
menu_display_charisma_over_threshold_high to activated
menu_display_charisma_standstill to activated

And in Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2, change:
charisma_0x17 to activated
charisma_0x17_msg_bus to Comfort data bus

I did this and my backup camera doesn't work, what do I do?

Make sure long coding Byte 19, Rear View Low is Activated (it probably already is)
In your adaptions, go to Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2, and make sure VPS_0x0B is not activated

Last edited:

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Great write up! Here are some other questions that I could see getting asked:

I have seen units being referred to as 'unlocked'. What does that mean?
In general, VW leverages a system known as component protection for certain modules. The idea is that a car will detect that a newly installed module was not originally associated with it, throw some faults, and limit functionality. This is done to prevent theft (according to VW). For the infotainment unit, component protection being active disables sound output and puts text on the screen that reads, 'Component protection active'. These units have been patched (or unlocked) to enable sound output and remove the text, but your vehicle will still have component protection faults that can be seen with a scan tool (they will not appear in the instrument cluster). They also often have function enabling codes (FECs) added to enable functionality like CarPlay.

I still have factory warranty from VW. Will the dealer know I swapped my infotainment unit?
Well, assuming they are paying attention to the interior of your car, the 9.2" screen in North America generally indicates that a retrofit was done. If the dealer did not notice the larger screen, they could notice the component protection faults in certain modules if they looked.

Can I have the component protection faults removed?
Generally, component protection can be removed using the VW software called ODIS. This is generally done by dealerships but there are some individuals/businesses that offer remote coding/component protection removal. Remote coding/component protection removal requires a compatible scan tool and it's not clear if VW will ever try to prevent this. In the case of the Chinese infotainment units, it's not known if you would run into any issues having component protection removed using ODIS.

What is the difference between MIB2 Standard - Discover Media (MST2 like the Chinese Delphi unit described in this post) and MIB2 High - Discover Pro (MHI2 manufactured by Harman)?
MIB2 High was used in most markets for cars that had the 9.2" display from the factory. It has built-in maps (instead of using the SD card), can output the built-in maps on the infotainment display and digital instrument cluster simultaneously, and some other minor features. MIB2 High can also be customized further with community-created tools.

I have a MIB2 Standard - Discover Media unit in my car that was built for North America. Can I just replace the screen and be good to go?
Unfortunately, no. It appears that only the Chinese Delphi MIB2 (make sure it is the right part number like the one in the original post) is capable of using the 9.2" display. So, if you want the 9.2" display, your options are:
  • Buy the Chinese Delphi MIB2 (make sure it is the right part number like the one in the original post), the 9.2" display, and the trim surround. You will lose Sirius/XM satellite radio and built-in navigation (unless a solution gets figured out, may involve patching again so that an FEC can be added or just adding an FEC). Component protection is still active but should not affect day-to-day usage and should be be able to be removed through ODIS (not tested so your mileage may vary).
  • Buy a converted Harman MIB2 High from Europe, the 9.2" display, and the trim surround. You will lose Sirius/XM satellite radio but may be able to use North American maps depending on the conversion. Component protection is still active but should not affect day-to-day usage (assuming it was patched) and should be be able to be removed through ODIS.
  • Buy a converted Harman MIB2 High (i.e., original from a different car and used) for the North American market, the 9.2" display, and the trim surround. Component protection is still active but should not affect day-to-day usage (assuming it was patched) and should be be able to be removed through ODIS.
  • Buy a brand new VW Harman MIB2 High for the North American market, the 9.2" display, and the trim surround. Component protection is still active and will need to be removed through ODIS or through unlocking/patching methods.
Anything else I should know about the Chinese Delphi MIB2 Standard (MST2) units?
Be warned that not all 'unlocks' or 'patches' are done well. There is some risk that the unit you get could have been 'unlocked' improperly. Make sure you have buyer protections if you purchase one or are willing to accept some risk. The unit that @Acadia18 got seems to have been okay.

Last edited:

wakeupmrchen

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
Awesome write up. I have been looking at upgrading from MIB1 for over a year now, always put off by the price but this seems like a great option.

Have you had any issues since installing this? Have you tried CarPlay as well and does it work?

And how does the display and performance compare with the OEM ones?
Since not everybody on the forum follows my build thread, I figured I'd post a separate thread here about my latest adventure; putting a 9.2" screen and hacked MIB2 unit in my car.

First, I'd have to give a big shout out to the random guy on FB who posted a link asking "Has anybody installed this?" prompting me to try it out, and @Cuzoe & @brentgti for helping me actually get it in a good state once it arrived! So let's jump right in!

Are you like me, a sucker for technology, and have lusted over of the smooth 9.2" screen that never came in Golfs here in the US? Do you hate knobs and physical buttons mucking up your infotainment screen? Do you think VW's factory navigation and maps are junk, and think satellite radio is a rip off, because Spotify is all the music you need? Did you answer yes to all these questions, but have balked at the $1,400 - $2,400 price tag?

Well boy, have I got some good news for you then!

Someone on Facebook had posted a link for this:

View attachment 284957
(Actual link)

A 9.2" screen, and some unknown MIB2 unit, for $580. Which is much more palpable than other options. After some back and forth with the seller, which was difficult given the language barrier, I was able to find out the unit is 'activated' (meaning no Component Protection removal needed), and open to coding. Which was enough for me to take the chance. With dash the trim & tax, was looking at $650 all in.

View attachment 284958

NOTE: Before attempting to install, make a full backup of long coding & adaptions with OBD11/VCDS, and take screenshots of all the long coding bytes of the 5F module!

Once I got it in, I found out the MIB2 unit was a Chinese market Delphi MIBD2STD unit.

View attachment 284959

For people who have never done it, install is very easy. The MIB unit in the glovebox, you just use two of the removal keys, and it pulls right out. It has enough slack to get the quadlock and all cables out. The hardest part is getting the trim off to get access to the old screen. Once that's off though, it's 4 of the removal keys and it pops right off.

View attachment 284960

Reverse the steps to put everything back together. The new unit won't utilize the Brown plug you probably found on the original unit, which is for the satellite radio antenna. And for the screen, the Blue plug on the back, you do need to take a razor to shave off the little plastic guides.

View attachment 284964

Everything booted right up, although I did find 3 issues that were fixed with coding (will cover how to fix in a bit); I had no sound, my rear view camera wouldn't activate, and my drive mode button wouldn't work. Once those were corrected, everything worked as expected.

View attachment 284966

If you ask me, that's how the MK8 interior should have been. A good compromise between technology, retaining physical buttons on the steering wheel, but not burying everything inside the infotainment.
(Please ignore my dirty floor mats)

FAQs

So who is this for?

This is best for someone who wants the 9.2" screen, and primarily uses Android Auto\Apple CarPlay. As there are some missing native features, you want to utilize those 3rd party solutions to get around that. Myself, it's perfect, because I use one of the wireless adapters, so I have Android Auto running 100% of the time I'm in my car.

You mention drawbacks, what are they?
Notably, there are no US maps on the unit (and I haven't figured out how to get them working), and there is no satellite radio. As far as I can tell, all the other features are there.

There's a bunch of listings on AliExpress, would you reccomend that LemonShark seller?
I have no complaints about them. They were always responsive to me. The screen I received ended up having a defect in it that became apparent once I had a lighter background on it, a yellow\brown spot on the top center

Right away, they gave me a shipping label to return it to a US address, and are having a replacement screen sent out. For dealing with a seller halfway around the world, I have no complaints.

I did this and my sound doesn't work, what do I do?
You need to change long coding byte 11 to send output to the fender amp. It is probably set to 01, change it to 02.

I did this and my drive mode button doesn't work, what do I do?
Need to change some adaptations:

In Car_Function_Adaptions_Gen2, change:
menu_display_charisma to activated
menu_display_charisma_after_disclaimer to not activated
menu_display_charisma_clamp_15_off to not activated
menu_display_charisma_over_threshold_high to activated
menu_display_charisma_standstill to activated

And in Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2, change:
charisma_0x17 to activated
charisma_0x17_msg_bus to Comfort data bus

I did this and my backup camera doesn't work, what do I do?

Make sure long coding Byte 19, Rear View Low is Activated (it probably already is)
In your adaptions, go to Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2, and make sure VPS_0x0B is not activated
I have

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Awesome write up. I have been looking at upgrading from MIB1 for over a year now, always put off by the price but this seems like a great option.

Have you had any issues since installing this? Have you tried CarPlay as well and does it work?

And how does the display and performance compare with the OEM ones?

I have

These are OEM parts, so they work just as well as any other OEM parts. It's just a Chinese market MIB2 unit that has been "hacked" to be activated without needing component protection, and to have the MIB2.5 software (to use the 9.2" screen).

Everything works fine and exactly as expected. I am an Android guy, so I can't comment on CarPlay, but don't see any reason why it won't work fine. I use Android Auto every second I'm in my car via a wireless dongle, and have no issues with it. CarPlay should be the same.

The only "problems" with it are what I outlined in my post; the VW stock navigation doesn't work because it doesn't have US maps, and I can't figure out how to get them on, and satellite radio won't work since it doesn't have the receiver. Neither one of those present issues for me, because I just use Android Auto.

wakeupmrchen

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
These are OEM parts, so they work just as well as any other OEM parts. It's just a Chinese market MIB2 unit that has been "hacked" to be activated without needing component protection, and to have the MIB2.5 software (to use the 9.2" screen).

Everything works fine and exactly as expected. I am an Android guy, so I can't comment on CarPlay, but don't see any reason why it won't work fine. I use Android Auto every second I'm in my car via a wireless dongle, and have no issues with it. CarPlay should be the same.

The only "problems" with it are what I outlined in my post; the VW stock navigation doesn't work because it doesn't have US maps, and I can't figure out how to get them on, and satellite radio won't work since it doesn't have the receiver. Neither one of those present issues for me, because I just use Android Auto.
We don’t have satellite radio in New Zealand and I don’t use stock navigation so this could be perfect. Did you get the China made set or Germany set?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
We don’t have satellite radio in New Zealand and I don’t use stock navigation so this could be perfect. Did you get the China made set or Germany set?

I got the China made set, as that was in stock and available to ship. Whether you choose to believe them or not, the seller told me they are the exact same things, only difference being where they are manufactured.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Wow can't believe I never saw this thread before. Super interesting.

Is the reason for this because the new unit has its own programming in the 5F module? Just trying to figure out why you have to fix coding re sound/drive mode.

I scored a deal on the 9.2" screen a while back for like $300CAD so I've just been sitting on it waiting to find a deal on MIB2.5... But since this seems to support the 9.2" screen out of the box seems like an amazing deal. I'm like you and also only use CarPlay/AA.

If I were to sell the car could I just remove this brains+screen and swap my old unit back in?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Is the reason for this because the new unit has its own programming in the 5F module? Just trying to figure out why you have to fix coding re sound/drive mode.
Correct. The replacement unit is coded for whatever car and equipment the seller (or factory) desired, which may not reflect your car and equipment. In Acadia's case, his Golf R has an external amplifier for Fender audio so he had to change the unit to output sound through the MOST fibre connection. Same principle for the rear view camera and other items. Slightly tedious with OBDeleven, but not terrible.

If I were to sell the car could I just remove this brains+screen and swap my old unit back in?
Yes. So long as you do not attempt to officially remove the component protection with ODIS, you can swap the old unit back in without issue. The Chinese units are patched (unlocked) so that they work as though component protection is removed but have faults relating to component protection if you scan the car with a diagnostic tool.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Correct. The replacement unit is coded for whatever car and equipment the seller (or factory) desired, which may not reflect your car and equipment. In Acadia's case, his Golf R has an external amplifier for Fender audio so he had to change the unit to output sound through the MOST fibre connection. Same principle for the rear view camera and other items. Slightly tedious with OBDeleven, but not terrible.

Yes. So long as you do not attempt to officially remove the component protection with ODIS, you can swap the old unit back in without issue. The Chinese units are patched (unlocked) so that they work as though component protection is removed but have faults relating to component protection if you scan the car with a diagnostic tool.
Thanks so much for the reply. I was looking at the MIB2.5 units but the ~1500CAD price was off-putting, ~$500 is way easier to stomach even if it has some soft error codes.

Will post updates if I end up buying it.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I see that you chose "China made set 1" which includes the screen ending with A. Any idea what the difference is with "China made set 2" which includes the screen ending with D? Interesting how the "Germany Made set" includes the screen ending with neither (unless that's a misprint).

Unrelated: Does the patch (to work despite component protection) and FEC (for nav, etc.) get stored within the screen or within the head unit? Does it include the FEC for sport gauges (boost, etc.)?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I see that you chose "China made set 1" which includes the screen ending with A. Any idea what the difference is with "China made set 2" which includes the screen ending with D? Interesting how the "Germany Made set" includes the screen ending with neither (unless that's a misprint).

Unrelated: Does the patch (to work despite component protection) and FEC (for nav, etc.) get stored within the screen or within the head unit? Does it include the FEC for sport gauges (boost, etc.)?

This what the message I got from the seller when I asked them that question:

1697487886552.png

So no idea why the separate selections on the product page.

The patch and FEC is stored on the head unit in the glovebox, not the screen. And yes, it does have the FEC for the sport gauges.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
One piece of advice that I would add, which may be completely unfounded, is to try to determine what hardware revision the display has if you are ordering a European manufactured one. Older revisions were susceptible to increased failure rates from what I read so I don't know if the Chinese sellers are buying the older units and reselling them. That's what happened when I bought a European manufactured OEM wireless charger. I will note that I have no issues with the Chinese manufactured 9.2" display.

Last edited:

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
got a link to some radio removal tools in the picture? and terminal pin remover. going to need to pop the mib unit out when i do helix install for the harness.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The official Audi part number for the removal keys is 8E0 051 530. I got my set from here: Genuine Audi Parts (based in San Diego, CA). You can get cheaper ones on Amazon or AliExpress but some of the really cheap ones have a tendency to break or jam in the MIB units.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
The official Audi part number for the removal keys is 8E0 051 530. I got my set from here: Genuine Audi Parts (based in San Diego, CA). You can get cheaper ones on Amazon or AliExpress but some of the really cheap ones have a tendency to break or jam in the MIB units.
Parts page on audi/vw and ecs both say they dont fit mk 7 gti. Should i ignore that?

Would these pin tools work?
1697692314363.png

Last edited: