GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chevy Cruze, I want one

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Last Monday - Wednesday, I rented a Chevy Cruze from Enterprise while my GTI was in the shop getting 30K service and BBK installed.

Driving impressions:

1. Very European fit and finish in the 1LT model
  2. Much more quiet interior than the GTI
  3. Comfortable at 50, 60, and 70 MPH cruising and still quiet
  4. 30-45 MPG on regular
  5. Zippy 1.4 L Ecotec engine, good for spirited driving
  6. Comfortable seats

This was my second rented Cruze and I have to say I am very impressed. If this car had a rear sway bar and 200HP, I'd say this would be a great alternative over the Golf and Focus.

However, with the prices of CPO Cruze's being less than $20K, it might be worth picking up one as a beater.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I have not driven/ridden in one yet, but my father in law just bought one and is raving about it. He is not a car guy though.

I need to find someone close that has one.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I have not driven/ridden in one yet, but my father in law just bought one and is raving about it. He is not a car guy though.

I need to find someone close that has one.

If his model is the 2LT or LTZ, then he got the good trim level.

2LT and above has the 4 wheel discs and leather appointed seating.

The Cruze is nice because it is basically the Opel Astra rebadged for North America - http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/12/car-clash-chevy-cruze-vs-opel-astra/

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Maybe a manual cruze might be fun not sure. But, I do know my sister had an automatic 1.4t and I hated driving that thing.

DSF767

Ready to race!
I had one for a rental when I was in Florida, it was the leather and I have to say it was one of the smoothest cars I've ever been in for the first time no adjustment period to get used to it at all.

The interior fit and finish was not a GTI but overall very high quality and I loved driving it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Last Monday - Wednesday, I rented a Chevy Cruze from Enterprise while my GTI was in the shop getting 30K service and BBK installed.

Driving impressions:

1. Very European fit and finish in the 1LT model
  2. Much more quiet interior than the GTI
  3. Comfortable at 50, 60, and 70 MPH cruising and still quiet
  4. 30-45 MPG on regular
  5. Zippy 1.4 L Ecotec engine, good for spirited driving
  6. Comfortable seats

This was my second rented Cruze and I have to say I am very impressed. If this car had a rear sway bar and 200HP, I'd say this would be a great alternative over the Golf and Focus.

However, with the prices of CPO Cruze's being less than $20K, it might be worth picking up one as a beater.

Yes it runs on regular. And is way quieter than a GTI.

But in every single dynamic test it is worse. Choose what you like.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Am I the only person who thinks GTIs are super quiet? Maybe I've just never been in a "nice" car.

Merkle

Banned
Am I the only person who thinks GTIs are super quiet? Maybe I've just never been in a "nice" car.

No, the only problem I have is wind noise from around the tops of the windows, but that's a common issue. As well as an array of rattles and squeaks.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day

The GTI is quite loud compared to a Cruze. Wind noise and tire noise is pretty bad in GTIs/Golfs. The Cruze is like driving in a vault (compared to other cars in the segment), too bad it's just nowhere near as fun and engaging to drive. It's a great commuter, and surprisingly nimble, but nothing I would consider fun, peppy, or zippy. If there was an SS hatch or something, I'd have one right now.