GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chevy Cruze, I want one

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Id only look into the newest chevy cruze turbo diesel. 46 mpg estimated highway. I think its really cool they are doing small liter engines with turbos. Ive seen some dodge darts and cruzes around my area, with exhausts, blow off valves and some nice sounding intakes. Slow but if youre gonna get a car good on gas, slow or not at least you can do it while sounding pretty cool. Raced a cruze turbo in my celica, i blew it away but it sounded so good. If i were still in highschool on a budget this would be an awesome car to have.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Kinda. Still hard for me to break much above 31-33 all highway. Not bad, but not that stellar either.

As I said, "probably comes closest." ;)

But I"ve gotten 38+ indicated on the highway before, after a long-ish drive in cool weather. Again, "indicated", though my MFI is generally pretty accurate.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
As I said, "probably comes closest." ;)

But I"ve gotten 38+ indicated on the highway before, after a long-ish drive in cool weather. Again, "indicated", though my MFI is generally pretty accurate.

You are right, most other models that compete don't really come close.

My MFI has said high 30's like that before too. Then when I actually calculate FE based off of distance traveled and fuel used...it was wildly ambitious. I don't even use it anymore, just have speed displayed all the time as it seems to be more accurate than the analog speedometer.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
The premium for the diesel is hard to swallow though, and it is an uproven powertrain here... Does GM run a 100k powertrain warranty on it?

Chevy powertrain warranty is 100K, yes. The premium on the diesel is tough, but at least you get a truly loaded car; only choice is a sunroof or not basically. ;)

My main point was in regards to others talking about the Cruze and performance. the Diesel engine is the most powerful one in their line-up; so it isn't exactly made to be a performance car, that was the main point I was making (poorly) :D

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Chevy powertrain warranty is 100K, yes. The premium on the diesel is tough, but at least you get a truly loaded car; only choice is a sunroof or not basically. ;)

My main point was in regards to others talking about the Cruze and performance. the Diesel engine is the most powerful one in their line-up; so it isn't exactly made to be a performance car, that was the main point I was making (poorly) :D

Makes sense... the 100k warranty is nice too. Not sure what the powertrain covers but this could be a decent enough commuter car.
25800msrp though, I guess that isn't too bad to be honest. My Golf had a 25k MSRP and it didn't come with leather...
The jetta is right around that price range too... and the Cruze gets better MPG on paper, but lacks a DSG.

Interesting car for sure.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Diesels are expensive to engineer and produce. Not to mention, certifying them for sale here through the EPA is costly. All increase the marginal cost of a diesel vehicle. VW set a precedence by offering a ton of features standard on TDI models to help make the cost more palatable to consumers. Good to see GM follow suit. Hope it sells well, we need more diesels. Just wish the Cruze was available with a manual.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
No. It's pretty damn quiet and I've been in/owned several cars popularly deemed to be quite.

I should qualify my statement:

It's pretty damn quiet if you unplug your Soundaktor. Plus, I'm riding on ContiproContacts, so there's that, too.

Also, if you don't have an intake, don't have a downpipe, are on the stock exhaust, and are not using performance tires.

I am on the stock CBE, but I hear my downpipe beneath me pretty loud and clear. Also my Kumho Ecsta's are pretty loud especially when their cold.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I just googled 'Chevy Cruze' to refresh my memory of them.. IMHO one of the ugliest cars of our time, for that reason alone I could care less about ANY of the supposed qualities of this car.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I just googled 'Chevy Cruze' to refresh my memory of them.. IMHO one of the ugliest cars of our time, for that reason alone I could care less about ANY of the supposed qualities of this car.

Bodhi

Go Kart Champion
I had a rental while I was in CO for a few days.

Good car, a lot of nice European touches to it.

They should make it 6-spd manual in every trim, that'll be nice.

fusion66

Last Monday - Wednesday, I rented a Chevy Cruze from Enterprise while my GTI was in the shop getting 30K service and BBK installed.

Driving impressions:

1. Very European fit and finish in the 1LT model
  2. Much more quiet interior than the GTI
  3. Comfortable at 50, 60, and 70 MPH cruising and still quiet
  4. 30-45 MPG on regular
  5. Zippy 1.4 L Ecotec engine, good for spirited driving
  6. Comfortable seats

This was my second rented Cruze and I have to say I am very impressed. If this car had a rear sway bar and 200HP, I'd say this would be a great alternative over the Golf and Focus.

However, with the prices of CPO Cruze's being less than $20K, it might be worth picking up one as a beater.

I was quite impressed with a 2013 Cruze LT that I had rented last month and was giving it serious consideration as my next car.....until I rented a MKVI Golf auto. I agree with your assessment of the Cruze's merits but I think the VW would provide greater satisfaction for the "driver" in all of us. I think the VW has better seats (love the power recline), more precise steering, a more alert transmission and a peppier engine than the Chevrolet. Unloved though it may be, I was was genuinely shocked at the 2.5's smoothness and torque. My present car is a Ford Fusion V6 with a tune, CAI and Magnaflow exhaust and i would be quite satisfied with the powertrain in the Golf in stock form (although I'm pleased that tuning options now exist for it) Although the cabin of the VW contained only the bare essentials I really didn't mind terribly because I had so much fun driving it. The Cruze is essentially a commuter's car, although one that is peppier than most and more enjoyable to drive than most. But it lacks the purpose of the VW; yes the 2.5L is louder than the 1.4L in the Chevy but the 5-cyl. works far better with its transmission than is the case with the Cruze so the noise was not a major issue for me. The Cruze is an impressive car and has justifiably done very well for GM but for me the VW is more involving to drive eventhough the fuel economy is mediocre.