GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Gotta get that turbo kit through affirm too.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Thanks, it seemed like a good adult thing to do and was pretty intimidating as a young adult (I'm only 22 for any who didn't know) to be honest. I waited a year of paying into it before I tried refinancing.
I'd like to pay off early, but I don't seem to understand how people budget for that yet. I have never missed a car payment (for any of the last 2 vehicles or this one) since I was 18, but I've always paid maybe a week or two in advance. I still save money every month for savings and pay all my other bills, but I don't put any extra into the loan. But I guess any amount I put into it will pay off in the long run, right? I guess I always thought people would double up on their payments or something. But even $50 bucks extra a week or month would add up
My advice would be to definitely keep a savings buffer, but pay whatever you can afford extra into your highest interest/smallest amount loan. Once you pay that off, take the money that you had been spending on that and apply as extra to your next highest interest/smallest loan... rinse and repeat. The effect snowballs.
We had been debt free for a couple of years before I totaled my Civic, which prompted me to buy the GTI. We were hoping to find what I wanted in the 18k range at the time. We would have been able to comfortably buy that lump sum. We ended up getting one that was 24k instead. We put 11k down, financed the rest for 2 years, but paid it off in 8 months.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Speaking of finances, I found out yesterday that I no longer qualify for any financial aid. My employer should be able to cover roughly half of my tuition a year, but I will be forced to stay there for another year after I graduate. Otherwise I will be on the hook for 11k a year, out of pocket. So the performance mods that I was hoping for... probably not a thing now.

In other news, I also discovered that my headliner is now very quickly deteriorating. I’m thinking about maybe going black alcantara and recovering it myself... thoughts?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Speaking of finances, I found out yesterday that I no longer qualify for any financial aid. My employer should be able to cover roughly half of my tuition a year, but I will be forced to stay there for another year after I graduate. Otherwise I will be on the hook for 11k a year, out of pocket. So the performance mods that I was hoping for... probably not a thing now.

In other news, I also discovered that my headliner is now very quickly deteriorating. I’m thinking about maybe going black alcantara and recovering it myself... thoughts?
It would look good but cleaning could be not fun.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Mine is coming loose a little bit around the visor. I sent out a couple emails trying to get a quote on alcantara and they didn't reply lol

Phur

Autocross Champion
The name of the website makes me leery, and I’m not done looking, but I found some on headlinermagic.net.
1593653010818.png

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yoooooo, I should Mohawk my hair now that it's long AF :unsure:

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
My advice would be to definitely keep a savings buffer, but pay whatever you can afford extra into your highest interest/smallest amount loan. Once you pay that off, take the money that you had been spending on that and apply as extra to your next highest interest/smallest loan... rinse and repeat. The effect snowballs.
We had been debt free for a couple of years before I totaled my Civic, which prompted me to buy the GTI. We were hoping to find what I wanted in the 18k range at the time. We would have been able to comfortably buy that lump sum. We ended up getting one that was 24k instead. We put 11k down, financed the rest for 2 years, but paid it off in 8 months.

I will just start throwing an extra 50 bucks or so into it every other week or something like that. Its my only debt, not counting the CC, which I use for daily stuff like gas and groceries and that gets paid off in full every month.

clownish

just clowning around
I've gotten a headline on a mk5 refinished for around ~350 with regular headliner fabric. It took maybe half a day. They did a great job. Had no complaints at all. For the hassle of doing it yourself for the half the cost I would 100% pay a professional shop to do it. Removing a headliner is a huge pain. Not doing it properly and having to reapply adhesive or reinstall the headliner multiple times makes you want to rip hair out. At least on my end, I have a very short fuse for interior panels and things of that sort. Mechanical stuff is okay, but the fiddly nature of things I need to have look nice after I'm done, knowing that too much pressure or a careless swipe will mar an interior panel or bend a plastic panel out of shape forever - too much.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've gotten a headline on a mk5 refinished for around ~350 with regular headliner fabric. It took maybe half a day. They did a great job. Had no complaints at all. For the hassle of doing it yourself for the half the cost I would 100% pay a professional shop to do it. Removing a headliner is a huge pain. Not doing it properly and having to reapply adhesive or reinstall the headliner multiple times makes you want to rip hair out. At least on my end, I have a very short fuse for interior panels and things of that sort. Mechanical stuff is okay, but the fiddly nature of things I need to have look nice after I'm done, knowing that too much pressure or a careless swipe will mar an interior panel or bend a plastic panel out of shape forever - too much.

I attempted to do my own headliner too. I started putting glue down and pressing the new material down and about 1/4 of the way I could tell it wasn't going to come out perfectly and I wasn't going to be happy with the results. I ripped it all off and took it to a shop to upholster it for me. I dropped the headliner off and they only charged me $130, which was about what I spent on the materials to DIY.

I had to call a couple shops because the first shop I called wouldn't even do it just because I took the headliner out myself. "We wouldn't be able to warranty it so we aren't willing to do it"....I didn't need a damn warranty.

torga

Autocross Champion
I will just start throwing an extra 50 bucks or so into it every other week or something like that. Its my only debt, not counting the CC, which I use for daily stuff like gas and groceries and that gets paid off in full every month.
Make sure you're using a good rewards card. I do the same as you with my credit card and I've got $350 in rewards since last September for free, since they haven't gotten a dime of interest out of me. Probably gonna use a chunk to buy the SuperPro ball joints.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Make sure you're using a good rewards card. I do the same as you with my credit card and I've got $350 in rewards since last September for free, since they haven't gotten a dime of interest out of me. Probably gonna use a chunk to buy the SuperPro ball joints.
I got the Amazon Prime one back in February and they give you anywhere between at least 1% and up to 5% cash back depending on what you're paying for. I'm up to $150 cash back saved up since I got it. It'll be Christmas money I think.