GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clarification request regarding Google Maps on gauge cluster/HUD

roniappa

Hello all, I am new on these forums and spent quite lot of time looking for info here and on other boards regarding this and found conflicting info. I thought that Google Maps won't work on the gauge cluster and won't be visible on the HUD at all in my new MK8 but I already saw some directions from gmaps appear on the gauge cluster on the upper middle part (where the wheel heater turn on/off info is shown as well). The street/turn info is visible for 1-2 seconds then it disappears and it happens rarely and I can't find out when.

I saw some comment written 1-2 years ago where some people stated that they had similar phenomenon and some comments also stated that they have gmaps direction on gauge cluster often and even comments that some people have gmaps direction on HUD as well.

Most of these comments are old and the subject isn't really discussed nowadays so I would like to ask what is your experience, has anyone consistently available gmaps directions either on hud or on gauge cluster or are most of these infos only myths with some buggy gmaps direction visibility sometimes for 1-2 sec on the gauge cluster?

Thank you all!

Last edited:

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
I wonder if what people were seeing on the gauge cluster and HUD was navigation instructions (and cartography) from the VW navigation system at the same time they had Google Maps displayed on the big display in the middle of the car?

It is certainly possible to have a route active (and being displayed) from the VW nav system, and also be looking at Google Maps (or Waze, or Apple maps) on the screen in the middle of the cabin. It might even be possible to have routes active in both the VW nav system and a nav application from Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, although I don't know for sure if that can be done - I'm just speculating.

Michael