GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Ford Focus ST Test – Review – Car and Driver

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/cobb-ford-focus-st-test-review

The quarter mile time and trap speed seems really bad, given 300 hp and 380 lb ft of torque. And for 10 grand more than stock, seems like it's not money well spent at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
The article states that more than half of that money was spent on wheels and tires.

$2500 worth of performance bits for all that power is nice but it sure seems to struggle to put the power down. Would be a beast from a roll I bet.

rjkeene89

Ready to race!
Ya I read that. But even if it did have traction problems it should have had a better trap speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
The Focus ST I drove, which was stock, felt like a very underwhelming car overall. The interior felt very cheap though I have to admit the exterior is great. The seats are SUPER uncomfortable if you have a bulky build; they squeeze your ribs and after my short drive, my lower back was in pain.

Acceleration is meh; engine sound is meh; visibility is meh. But, the clutch + shift combination is very nice - clutch is not too heavy, not too soft and each gear engages smoothly and solidly.

Other than that - I'd pass on it.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
The Focus ST I drove, which was stock, felt like a very underwhelming car overall. The interior felt very cheap though I have to admit the exterior is great. The seats are SUPER uncomfortable if you have a bulky build; they squeeze your ribs and after my short drive, my lower back was in pain.

Acceleration is meh; engine sound is meh; visibility is meh. But, the clutch + shift combination is very nice - clutch is not too heavy, not too soft and each gear engages smoothly and solidly.

+1 with the amount of money in total involved there are other choices to consider.

DerSock

Ready to race!

I mostly agree. I actually used to work at a Ford dealership when these first came out. As a fan of turbo hatches and was very excited when Ford started shipping the STs to us for the first time.

I really wanted to like the car, I tried, but I couldnt bring myself to. Maybe I'm just picky, but I feel like it had too many unforgivable flaws....

-uncomfortable Ricaro seats (I'm 5'11 170lbs)
-springy shifter throws into gear (plus that claw-thing for reverse... ugh)
-cheap, ugly interior
-the clutch pedal has a weird "dead spot"
-over the top fake induction noises
-no room in the back seats

Last edited: