GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Code B103E1B fuel gauge not working

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
So after installing my pagparts fuel pump recently which by the way is an amazing piece that is working well so far, my fuel gauge is not working. I'm getting to codes in the cluster ecu for both fuel gauge sensor 1 and fuel gauge sensor 2 resistance too high B103E1B. Its an AWD A3 so it has the green basket. I replaced the fuel level sensor just incase I messed it up in the process of installing/removing the fuel pump assembly and still no luck. The connections look good from the level sensor to the hat and from the transfer pump to the hat as well. Has anyone else come across this same issue that has advice?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Anyone here?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I can only check the arm swing by pulling the whole basket out of the the tank. I replaced the fuel sender and checked ohms on it while going through its range of motion and all checks out well. Maybe I installed it in the tank where the arm wont move freely? Idk it seems to be installed as should be. I have nothing to compare to.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty sure the float should be facing towards the front of the vehicle correct? It is an AWD tank so it might differ from a gti

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Greg how did you fix this? Did you also get this code?

Attachments

• 063AB66C-9AAC-4C01-9AA8-1074F5AA4DCC.jpeg
    063AB66C-9AAC-4C01-9AA8-1074F5AA4DCC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 619

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Hey man. I actually had to keep pulling the whole assembly out cause I was having a no start issue and was doing some inspecting of the pump. After putting it in and out several times, the gauge just randomly works now. I think if you have the code, its safe to assume the basket is installed slightly cocked in some direction causing resistance on the float arm. Best bet is to pull it out and try to put it back in and get lucky. If you need help you can bring the car over and ill help

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Are you having codes or is the gauge just not working?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Both. Code and the fuel gauge is just flashing one bar. 0 mile range, and fuel tank malfunction.
Try repositioning the pump in the tank. I had this problem for the longest time and by the codes I had, I thought I had faulty wiring going to the transfer pump in the tank. I had to keep pulling the pump cause it burned up once and had to get replaced and I was more cautious of how it went in by keeping the float clear of obstructions and it all the sudden worked again

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Any chance anyone with the green too can post a pic of positioning when installed correctly?
That tab on the hat i believe is supposed to be at 12 o clock when you're facing the back seat. So if you're on your hands and knees on the ground with the door open, that tab should be facing your left to the trunk

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Just come to NC and visit and ill help. Then we can also run it 🙂