GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold weather testing (my patience)

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Since the cold weather has arrived with the snow and ice I am regularly alerted to a long list of reports of various driving aids unavailable sometimes upto 7 different warnings on the go. But the worst fault I've had is twice the emergency brake has activated while manoeuvring in car parks for no reason. I've got out and checked all the sensors and there is no ice on them or dirt the emergency brake activation is so severe it feels like I'm hitting something which I I'm not. It got me thinking did VW bother with cold weather testing because this is getting quite tedious now listening to bong after bong as the fault list grows This is on 1896 software I had hoped that the car would be relatively reliable now after 18 months of going back and forwards to the dealer time after time for multiple software/hardware fixes I think I've had enough of the VW experience now time to jump ship.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
There was definitely winter testing carried out, it looks to me that the earlier cars are the ones having the greatest issues, it’s probably a mixture of software version and individual controller/ecu revision type that causes the problems, in these cases straight forward software updates are not fully fixing things, and until these controllers are replaced with later revisions the problems appear to persist, some have reported having components replaced which mostly sorts things out it seems, as a side note, the manoeuvre braking on my 2020 M135ix was awful, and regularly slammed the brakes on when there was no reason, I eventually completely turned it off, do you realise it can be switched off in the golf too?

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/11/vw-mk8-golf-r-spied/

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Had similar issues. A couple of not really solutions but aids; when manouvering in tight spaces, esp when turning, give other cars / object a real wide berth and drive really slowly else the car is convinced you will hit stuff (even though your probable arc of turn arc and route means you won't) and it will jam on the brakes like you hit a wall, may cause you to jump out of your skin. Another is to keep the front VW badge completely clean, many sensors hide behind it and I find any water droplets or fine rain / drizzle / mist are on the badge and I get false warnings, or that functions are not available though they often clear in a few miles. Like I said not exactly solution and certainly not ideal but these things can help....

tos

Go Kart Newbie
I had 2-millimeter of ice on vw badge, no problems at all... ACC works fine :)

Sometimes I am using autoglym de-icer for sensors...

Rear Traffic Alert sensors are behind rear bumper corners, if there are ice or snow, instrument panel shows that they are not working right now...
ErWin have TPI 2058602 which tells that some cars have a sticker (which is connected some wires) on wrong place, it is top of that sensor and gives faults.

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2022-12-17 172428.jpg
    Näyttökuva 2022-12-17 172428.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 47

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Copied from my other post: "I've had one leaking shock absorber replaced under warranty, and the cars is booked for a software update in Janauary, I'm in the area anyway and don't trust myself not to screw it up, otherwise I've had no problems at all. Sure the car can have strange software characteristics & maybe issues, but speaking personally I just ignore the tech, I work with IT and don't have the interest or patience for messing about with the same stuff on my car." My car doesn't appear to like a neighbours car which is often parked at an odd angle though with plenty of room to get past, or light rain though downpours don't seem to bother it. As long is it provides me with comfortable reliable transport, I'm not over concerned....

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I had 2-millimeter of ice on vw badge, no problems at all... ACC works fine :)

Sometimes I am using autoglym de-icer for sensors...

Rear Traffic Alert sensors are behind rear bumper corners, if there are ice or snow, instrument panel shows that they are not working right now...
ErWin have TPI 2058602 which tells that some cars have a sticker (which is connected some wires) on wrong place, it is top of that sensor and gives faults.
Is the radar sensor behind the front VW badge no longer heated?? My mk7 had the radar in the lower grill, and this had a heating element in it that switched on automatically below a set temperature, the same was true of the mk7.5 cars that had the radar behind the badge, due to the fact it was heated as a safety measure due to the radar being used for frontal collision avoidance, my guess would be that the mk8 is the same, I don’t think it’s something that would be removed to save money.

tos

Go Kart Newbie
They are saying that the radar is not heated anymore.

But windscreen camera is heated, there are heating element and it should work automatically

The windscreen heater for front sensors Z113
is activated directly by the front camera
control unit. It is activated under the following
conditions:
After a manual engine start at an ambient
temperature <= 20°C (for 4 minutes).
At an ambient temperature between -20°C
and +2°C.
If the system detects that the camera is blind.
When the air conditioning system control unit
signals a high probability of window fogging.