GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COMPLETELY DEAD

studiovette

Just picked up my first GTI ever after being a die hard Vettehead for many many years. It was time for a change!
Have owned several vws over the years and just traded our 2019 Atlas for my new to me 2022 Moonstone grey GTI Autobahn edition with 18k miles. It was certified and super clean.
Was loving it until today. Went through the carwash and parked it to vacuum the interior. Shut it down and went to open trunk and it wouldn't unlock. Got inside and car was completely dead. Nothing was working at all. No lights etc. Jumped the battery and nothing. No clicking etc. Battery shows 12.4 volts on the tester.
My question. Is there a way to get these cars into neutral since there's no shifter?
At the moment I am facing forward with a high curb in front of me so a flatbed is useless and a regular tow truck with Dolly's couldn't do the job either. He suggested someone with 4 go jacks to lift the rear and Dolly's as well and or a flatbed to the dealer so that it's not bouncing around even though dealer is .5 miles away. The car is safe at the moment and I will call the local dealership tomorrow morning to ask what they recommend. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything like this..
First post! Hope it gets better from here. 😂

Couple more things:

1)I had a new windshield installed yesterday by Safelite who had to recalibrate the front camera. Probably irrelevant but wanted to mention it.
2) I did place the key inside the cup holder to see if it was a dead key fob but that didn't help either.
3) if you close all the doors and hold break down hard the infotainment screen will come on and you can actually engage the parking brake but nothing else. Rear brake lights work also.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Do you have VCDS? If not, buy one if you want to try to do your own diagnoses. Perhaps the previous owner had the problem and traded it.

AFAIK, the only way to defeat the DSG trans safety interlock on a GTI (or any other vehicle), you need to at the least remove the shifter surround trim and manually move the solenoid actuator. Is your parking brake on? Then you might need 4 the four wheel dollies.