GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cons of secondhand JB4s?

Fdrifting

Passed Driver's Ed
Really want one and I see a couple go through the classified for pretty good deals but don’t know if it’s just not worth it to buy used with something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
I can't think of any really. Some say you won't get official support from Burger, but I did on a mixup I had on mine during an install (which was like 4th hand, and is now 5th hand to someone else!)

The only drawback I could image is if it comes with a firmware you don't agree with and you wanna change it to newer/older, but that's easily done. I could be missing something, but to my knowledge, there's no issue. You'll see some that have been passed around multiple times, granted you'd want one that hasn't been beat on or anything, but the housing for the units is pretty sturdy.

Martin398

Ready to race!
I sold my jb4 and it was in perfect working order. buyer got a deal and I gained back some on my initial purchase. it's a great starting point for power too. just be aware it leads down one of two roads....
1. you're happy with the power increase and live happily with your jb4
2. you're happy with the power increase but that only lasts so long, then you want more and down the rabbit hole you go. haha

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Only real downside is the loss of a warranty.

But buying a JB unit used is one of the main reasons of its popularity - the to use it, enjoy the power then sell it for a tune or go back to stock.

George will support you just as much, regardless.

PS: I think JB users should all get together and pitch in to get George something to show our appreciation.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I encourage supporting Burger because they support their products and create great products. With that said, if you buy a JB4 used, throw Burger some money and buy the aluminum enclosure for the unit. :D

JB4 is an awesome tool even if not used to add power. The monitoring and logging features of the JB4 helped me find and diagnose a sensor problem that the car's own diagnostics didn't even pick up yet.

Really want one and I see a couple go through the classified for pretty good deals but don’t know if it’s just not worth it to buy used with something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I sold my jb4 and it was in perfect working order. buyer got a deal and I gained back some on my initial purchase. it's a great starting point for power too. just be aware it leads down one of two roads....
1. you're happy with the power increase and live happily with your jb4
2. you're happy with the power increase but that only lasts so long, then you want more and down the rabbit hole you go. haha

Or #3 in my case...I was pretty damn pleased with the power on Map 6 on E30 blend & the "good" bolt-ons, BUT I was tired of the stock DSG map and I really wanted a DSG tune. I purchased the JB4 to maintain the CPO warranty good through Aug next yr from the previous owner. That was in April when I bought the car. I lasted a whole 3 months before DP, IC, TIP, and now EQT tunes. I figured if I was doing the DSG tune it didn't make sense to not do EQT ECU tune as well.
I put up my JB4 with Bluetooth yesterday here, audizine, and vortex and it's already tentatively sold.

I encourage supporting Burger because they support their products and create great products. With that said, if you buy a JB4 used, throw Burger some money and buy the aluminum enclosure for the unit. :D
JB4 is an awesome tool even if not used to add power. The monitoring and logging features of the JB4 helped me find and diagnose a sensor problem that the car's own diagnostics didn't even pick up yet.

This^^^ The support from George is incredible. I'm a data junkie and the logging ability of the JB4 is another great feature. It's one of the primary reasons I moved to Cobb/EQT tunes. Like the JB4 being able to flash load/change maps on the fly, log data, and not have to f with a dealer like UM or APR made this the natural progression for me from the JB4

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Cons:

We don't do tuning support on used units and request order numbers or invoices if bought from a dealer.
The warranty that we have extended to 5 years now is not carried over
We relatively commonly see units shipped without the OBD cable as users couldn't care less to remove it so make sure some how its present.
Damaged wiring is also seen often
We have seen JB1 sold as JB4 :( (some go to the extent of adding the OBD cable which we sell for $20)

VeeDubBoss420

What was the sensor issue that was solved?