GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yeah! I saw your thread. Really good info and pics. And I noticed those cylindrical weights or dowels on the wings that extend out from the pad. I couldn't quite figure out what the point of those were. At the moment, I'm most interested in the B9 A4 calipers, so some weights would be awesome. Thanks!
Honestly, I'm not sure what they are for ether. I will say this though, I've never been in a vehicle that stops like this one. No joke I think I can go 40 mph to 0 in 20 to 25 feet. I've been pushing these 235/40r18 indy 500s to the limit whith them. Loving every minute of it.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I've been doing research into this calliper conversion longer than most.
One of the benefits for me was a utilising larger calliper that look good that were also lighter calliper than OE (reduced unsprung weight) which would help with turn in etc.

I've done a bit or research onto brake disc (rotor) weight over time for the exact same reasons as from my understanding, for every kilo you loose in disc weight it can equate to as much as 10 times that in unsprung weight.

MTEC are a reliable budget UK brand but the weight of their 340mm 1 piece discs have always put me off. I'd be interested to see how much their 2 piece 345mm discs weigh though so I might have to give them a call.

Below is a list of 340mm disc weights and the price in UK £.

Brake Disc Weight - Lightest first

ECS:
18.30 lbs / 8.3Kg each £680 a pair
(2 piece)

VW Club Sport:
21.60 lbs / 9.8Kg each £320 a pair

EBC Turbo Groove 22.04 its / 10Kg each £204 a pair

Nitrac: 22.92 lbs / 10.4 Kg each £245 a pair (+ £40 for Deep Cryogenic Treatment)

OE: 23.58 lbs / 10.7 Kg each £?

Tarox: 23.69 lbs / 10.75 Kg each £384 a pair (Sport Japan)

MTEC: 24.25 lbs / 11Kg each £105 a pair

Stoptech: 26.5 lbs / 12.02 Kg each
(1 Piece)

ESC:
30 lbs / 13.6Kg each
(1 piece)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've been doing research into this calliper conversion longer than most.
One of the benefits for me was a utilising larger calliper that look good that were also lighter calliper than OE (reduced unsprung weight) which would help with turn in etc.

I've done a bit or research onto brake disc (rotor) weight over time for the exact same reasons as from my understanding, for every kilo you loose in disc weight it can equate to as much as 10 times that in unsprung weight.

MTEC are a reliable budget UK brand but the weight of their 340mm 1 piece discs have always put me off. I'd be interested to see how much their 2 piece 345mm discs weigh though so I might have to give them a call.

Below is a list of 340mm disc weights and the price in UK £.

Brake Disc Weight - Lightest first

ECS:
18.30 lbs / 8.3Kg each £680 a pair
(2 piece)

VW Club Sport:
21.60 lbs / 9.8Kg each £320 a pair

EBC Turbo Groove 22.04 its / 10Kg each £204 a pair

Nitrac: 22.92 lbs / 10.4 Kg each £245 a pair (+ £40 for Deep Cryogenic Treatment)

OE: 23.58 lbs / 10.7 Kg each £?

Tarox: 23.69 lbs / 10.75 Kg each £384 a pair (Sport Japan)

MTEC: 24.25 lbs / 11Kg each £105 a pair

Stoptech: 26.5 lbs / 12.02 Kg each
(1 Piece)

ESC:
30 lbs / 13.6Kg each
(1 piece)

I'm more concerned with my brakes doing a good job at being brakes and weight second. If my bbk weighs exactly the same as the PP setup it replaces, but has more thermal mass, cools better, and pads are cheaper/ easier to replace, it's a win.

Obviously you don't want you're brakes to be heavy and not work well, but unless you're a drag racer, weight isn't everything.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
How did you correct the template? I centered on the hub (66.5) and reduced the left and right sides down to 57.1, keeping the same center. Not sure if that's the correct way to compensate.

Yup, that's what I did. Kept the center, then 66.5 - 57.1 = 9.4 / 2 = 4.7mm off each side.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Soooo I got SS lines for the TTs calipers kit made by neuspeed, and they don’t fit. The Banjo bolt is too big.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Soooo I got SS lines for the TTs calipers kit made by neuspeed, and they don’t fit. The Banjo bolt is too big.

Why would you do TTS calipers over Macan and why are you posting about it in the Macan thread? I'm confused. I think the TTS vs Macan thread has several TTS caliper users in there and they could help you out. To my knowledge, everyone in here is on Macan calipers.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Wait I'm confused, you bought TTS lines for the Macan calipers, or are you saying Neuspeed sent you the wrong SS lines for your TTS calipers?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Why would you do TTS calipers over Macan and why are you posting about it in the Macan thread? I'm confused. I think the TTS vs Macan thread has several TTS caliper users in there and they could help you out. To my knowledge, everyone in here is on Macan calipers.

I did the Macan, just waiting for stuff to install. I just assumed, and wrongly, that the banjo fitting was the same as the tts.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Wait I'm confused, you bought TTS lines for the Macan calipers, or are you saying Neuspeed sent you the wrong SS lines for your TTS calipers?

I screwed up. Haha. Now I need to return these lines.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I may try and see if I can use a different banjo bolt and have it work.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
you're not supposed to use banjo bolts. period.

The lines should have ends like this that go into the caliper:
1582153700115.png

@GTIfan99 has the specific line required in the first post

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Interesting. I sent Chris and email About custom lines. I guess this install will be delayed.

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Took a week from invoice payment to lines arriving via USPS. Would definitely recommend ordering from Techna Fit as GTIfan99's OP suggest. Seems like a really good price too. My clear cover lines pictured below.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Took a week from invoice payment to lines arriving via USPS. Would definitely recommend ordering from Techna Fit as GTIfan99's OP suggest. Seems like a really good price too. My clear cover lines pictured below.

I fully agree! I looked into making them myself but at 59 USD shipped it wouldn't be worth it unless I made a batch

Last edited: