GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cops

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
I try and drive safe. Usually only speed on highways when there aren't many cars.

The only ticket I have gotten was because I DIDN'T go right on a red light and a cop was behind me (Driving a big truck so I could only see his grill).

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
We had a thread awhile back that referenced an article showing the GTI was in the top 10 of most ticketed vehicles...

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
I have not been pulled over in my GTI, but I have been stopped numerous times in the past (mostly speeding). I have found the best thing to do is to be honest and respectful, but at the same time don't immediately admit guilt. If you admit you were speeding, then your pretty much admitting you knew you were breaking the law and did it anyway. If they ask you if you know what your being stopped for, answer it in question form instead. "Was I speeding sir?".

By the way, I've found the majority of cops who pulled me over seem to be perfectly alright in my book. There's been an asshole here and there, but for the most part they have treated me the same way I treat them, with respect. Remember your the one who did something wrong, there just doing there job.

Gti-mrk6

Ready to race!
Let's face it. Some of us like to tint our windows but if you think from cop's point of view, it makes them nervous.

If you were a cop and you pull some guy over, walk up, notices dark tint, can't see inside, how would this make you feel? You would feel nervous because, the driver can carry a weapon and you can't see. II strongly believe tint laws are there to protect wellbeing of an officer. So let's not bitch about "i got a ticket for tint because cop was being a dick".

I think there are too many people that like tint (I'm not one of them) but I do believe the goverment should not have a say on whether you tint or not. Perhaps there should be a law that establishes that tinted windows on vehicles would need to be rolled down whenever they get pulled over, that would make more sense too me, even in bad weather.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
You would feel nervous because, the driver can carry a weapon and you can't see. II strongly believe tint laws are there to protect wellbeing of an officer.

I carry a weapon every single day. I don't tell cops that I'm armed it's none of their business. That I have tint or not shouldn't be either.

TAG12GTI

Ready to race!
I carry a weapon every single day. I don't tell cops that I'm armed it's none of their business. That I have tint or not shouldn't be either.

Wrong on both counts. If you're approached by the police you should make them aware that you have a concealed weapon. I could imagine things might escalate quickly if you didn't.

Your state has specifications for window tinting. In fact it appears in GA that even vehicles not registered there can be ticketed for tint exceeding the guidelines.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
Its a roll of the dice and can go both ways. Once I was blatantly speeding and was pulled over doing 75 in a 45 or something insane like that on a frontage road by east l.a. I was very polite and the cop, who for some reason called for backup which blew me away, ended up being cool and BS'ing with me about my car. Let me off w/a warning.Could have nailed me. On the flip side, I was visiting family in Millbrae 8 months ago and was driving my 84 yr old grandma around in her old POS Saturn to do errands and get groceries. We had to go to the post office to drop off mail and I made a left over a double yellow into the lot, no traffic around going about 3 mph. Instantly got the red lights and this big buff cheesedick asian cop with frosted tips was instantly in aggressive asshole mode. Acted like he had finally gotten me after a high speed chase or something. Very intimidating and no regard whatsoever for the fact that it was 100+ degrees at the time, which is hot for Millbrae, and that my grandma was not doing well. It was record temps at the time.. He could have easily let me off but Millbrae and similar towns where no real crime EVER happens are full of cops who will just bleed you dry for the slightest infraction. I was polite, explained I was from out of town etc. He had his mind made up from the get go that he was going to write me a ticket. As he was writing it he said "so what, they don't have double yellow lines in LA?" and as he handed me my ticket, I said "yes they do, and people make lefts over them constantly without police giving it a second glance, because they have actual crimes to attend to there." He didn't like that, but I already had the ticket so what the hell, he was dickface of the century.

So its like the guy who says he's a cop on here said, they are just like you and me, its just a roll of the dice whether or not you'll get an asshole who abuses the fact that he gets to carry a gun and has power of you, or a regular guy who will give you a break if you aren't a dick.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Wrong on both counts. If you're approached by the police you should make them aware that you have a concealed weapon. I could imagine things might escalate quickly if you didn't.

Your state has specifications for window tinting. In fact it appears in GA that even vehicles not registered there can be ticketed for tint exceeding the guidelines.

There is no duty to inform in ga. As for tint laws I said they shouldn't not that they didn't.

In My experience informing them causes more issues...

iamgap

Ready to race!
^^^ I thought you were talking about state troopers. Those I've seen, act like they are robots and hardly ever let you go with just a warning.

Years ago I drove an over-the-road truck. I was driving up 69/75. I hadn't noticed that the speed limit dropped from 55 to 45. An OK State Trooper going the other way drastically slowed down. I looked in my side view mirror to see him turn around and drop a dime in the bubble gum machine. I instantly pulled over so he wouldn't have to chase me. When he asked me if I new the speed limit, I said I thought it was 55. He then asked why I pulled over so quickly. I said it was apparent I had done something wrong, and I didn't want him to have to chase me down. He informed me that the speed limit was in fact 45, gave me a warning, and suggested that I pay more attention to signs on the side of the road.

The Trooper is also African-American, and in OK, they tend to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder. So not all State Troopers are dicks, but even if they are, respect and politeness goes a long way.

One other thing, if you have never driven a big rig, you will never understand how hard it is to get a warning. Most government entities see nothing but dollars signs when they have an opportunity to fine anything to do with the trucking industry. That is their biggest cash cow, and the railroad lobbiest do everything they can to keep antiquated and expensive trucking laws on the books.

gap

zhijjawi10

Go Kart Champion
^^^ I thought you were talking about state troopers. Those I've seen, act like they are robots and hardly ever let you go with just a warning.

I have gotten 3 window tint tickets. I put 20% tint on almost two years ago, and didn't get any shit from cops for a whole year. My tint scans as 16%. It looks so good on the CSG, but tickets aren't fun.

My last encounter was with a state trooper on 395 S right below DC. It was 8:30 AM and I was just getting on 395 to head to work. State trooper pulls me over, gives me a tint ticket, ticket for my license plate being in my windshield and not on my bumper, and another ticket for "DEFECTIVE EXHAUST."

The trooper did not give me the option to pay these tickets online. He marked the box where it say's I MUST appear in court... I guess he saw I had gotten 2 tint tickets and a license plate ticket before and paid them and said to himself "He ain't paying this ticket that easy!"

Wanna know the worst part? Court date is in the smack middle of a Park City, Utah snowboarding trip I had planned.. Already bought my plane ticket.

dtraill27

Go Kart Champion
^VA cops are some of the worst to deal with so unless you correct some of the issues you're going to be going to a lot of court dates

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
I have gotten 3 window tint tickets. I put 20% tint on almost two years ago, and didn't get any shit from cops for a whole year. My tint scans as 16%. It looks so good on the CSG, but tickets aren't fun.

My last encounter was with a state trooper on 395 S right below DC. It was 8:30 AM and I was just getting on 395 to head to work. State trooper pulls me over, gives me a tint ticket, ticket for my license plate being in my windshield and not on my bumper, and another ticket for "DEFECTIVE EXHAUST."

The trooper did not give me the option to pay these tickets online. He marked the box where it say's I MUST appear in court... I guess he saw I had gotten 2 tint tickets and a license plate ticket before and paid them and said to himself "He ain't paying this ticket that easy!"

Wanna know the worst part? Court date is in the smack middle of a Park City, Utah snowboarding trip I had planned.. Already bought my plane ticket.

Call the court and ask to have it delayed.

funked1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been warned twice, no tickets. One of them was 75 in a 45. I think there must be some kind of GTI cop mojo going on.

MetalBong

Passed Driver's Ed
Challenging a cops authority is always gonna end badly.

If you're a cop...you're a dick

If you're from the military and its not your fault you were assigned to be an MP then got a job as a cop in civilian life..... then you're a lazy dick. Get another job.

Traffic laws in general are about generating revenue for little towns, ever been hassled for tint in Manhatten?

An imperfect system for enforcing these traffic laws at best (using people) I'm not excited about the alternatives (photo radar etc.) which leave no chance for a warning (only a court appearance if you want to try to get out of it)

Traffic situations are the only area where cops are allowed to break the law to catch the lawbreakers, do cops murder to catch murderers? This in itself shows that traffic laws are flimsy at best and really serve little purpose in protecting us in reality. Left on their own with reasonable restrictions ie.) stop lights, reasonable speed limits, etc. the general public would be fine/safe.