GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Credit Card Skimmers Found at Gas Stations.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Heard about that a little while back. Anytime I have to use a card to fill up gas it is inside the actual store. If they direct me outside to the machine then I ask them if I can just pay inside if the answer is no then I just get gas some where else. Got my card info stolen once scared the crap out of me.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I've been victim to this... had $500 stolen, but thankfully Wellsfargo was great about it and I had my money back within 24 hours and a new account number/debit card :thumbsup:

Learned my lesson, I only pay inside now, preferably cash and if I have to use a credit card, AMEX provides good protection

Bino

Go Kart Champion
Down in Miami its the opposite. Pay at the pump. If you go inside they get access to you card and field day with it.

One day I went to fill up and the pump would not take my car. So I went inside and gave them my card. The next time I went to use my card it was deactivated. I called the cc company they told me there was some unusual transactions. When I got my statement apparently I bought a diesel truck. There was over $500 in fuel purchased.

So if I cant use my card outside I move on. But now seeing this. :eek:

So many dam people trying to make it easy for themselves.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2014/02/18/is-2014-year-your-credit-card-gets-chip/
Hilarious how far behind the US is compared to so many other countries. The tech for this to be prevented has been around for sometime now. Banks are simply effn cheap. The US Is a mecca for this type fraud. NO REASON for it. Its so rare in Europe. Pay cash for small purchases and KNOW your agreement and monitor your statement. US banks are pathetic and don't care about you at all. If they did they would stop this now.

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
I am not sure why everyone is so afraid of fraud. US/Canada have zero cardholder liability laws (or policies?). My card number gets stolen about every 6 months, with amounts averaging $3,000 -- hasn't ever been a problem to get it back.

Do what's easiest for you. Let the bank, that earns money from your transactions, do the work on your behalf.

Edmundo

Ready to race!
Do not enter your PIN at the pumps

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I am not sure why everyone is so afraid of fraud. US/Canada have zero cardholder liability laws (or policies?). My card number gets stolen about every 6 months, with amounts averaging $3,000 -- hasn't ever been a problem to get it back.

Do what's easiest for you. Let the bank, that earns money from your transactions, do the work on your behalf.

Its can be a step in identity theft. Research how much fun that is....

Kyle Butler

Ready to race!
this is why i never pay at the pump. Ive known a few people that have had this happen, no thanks!

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
People have told me about this, I'm stubborn as shit and keep doing it. I needa stop. :(

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
Skimmers can get you at the pump or inside, it's unavoidable. The best thing is to be suspicious if the card slot looks weird or bulky and always hide your pin. Also congrats to America for finally joining the 1990s and getting debit cards.

Jaber

Modero
After the whole Target thing and being hit twice, I decided to switch to using my CC fulltime and paying off balance. So far its been a month and working out great with the cashback rewards.

But everytime I get gas, I always tug on the card reader, to see if there's a skimmer. I've had people give me weird looks when doing this lol...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Most gas stations that I have seen lately have a branded tape with a code on the "door" to the internals so you can tell if the internals have been accessed by an authorized person.

I've only had a problem once, bank took care of it immediately.

I hoping that Targets multi billion dollar investment in Chip/PIN capability will force others to follow suit. We've been quite complacent in the US with regards to adopting the latest security measures.