GOLFMKV

Crimea... Thoughts?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What are yours?

Disclaimer: I have family there...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Well does the US have any business making all that rhetoric against russia etc?!

It's like we're trying to start another cold war...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Putin be crazy. Obama be a bitch.

What does Obama have to do with all this? The ppl in the region want this, why the fk does he even care other than trying to flex some kind of politics nuts...

It is ironic that a democratic process of sorts is being called illegal by the US. :yikes:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
crymea river

heard that on late night

lol nice

If I could believe that Russia and local officials actually organized a legitimate, effective election in under a week following all globally recognized rules for democratic elections, then yes I think that Crimea should absolutely become a part of Russia. Especially with a 96% approval rating.

BUT, as unfortunately seems to be the case, it was not a legitimate, effective poll. Firstly, how do you get nearly 2 million people to hit the poles in a morning? How many polls do you have to have in order to meet that kind of bandwidth? Are they secure if they're spread so thin? How do you get the resources and organization to make that happen in such a short period of time? How do you even count that?

Secondly, I hear reports that >100% of the population was accounted for. That on it's own raises flags. Since when has any democratic election seen >70% of the population vote? Secession should certainly bring out high numbers but I'd be extremely weary of anything approaching 90%, especially considering the disabled and age limit.

If Kiev, in partnership with Russia, organized a poll for a month from now, in which ~70% attended and >50% were in favor of secession I'd be ecstatic to hear that the people of the region favor this solution. Unfortunately this recent poll doesn't appear to be robust to scrutiny.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
lol nice

If I could believe that Russia and local officials actually organized a legitimate, effective election in under a week following all globally recognized rules for democratic elections, then yes I think that Crimea should absolutely become a part of Russia. Especially with a 96% approval rating.

BUT, as unfortunately seems to be the case, it was not a legitimate, effective poll. Firstly, how do you get nearly 2 million people to hit the poles in a morning? How many polls do you have to have in order to meet that kind of bandwidth? Are they secure if they're spread so thin? How do you get the resources and organization to make that happen in such a short period of time? How do you even count that?

Secondly, I hear reports that >100% of the population was accounted for. That on it's own raises flags. Since when has any democratic election seen >70% of the population vote? Secession should certainly bring out high numbers but I'd be extremely weary of anything approaching 90%, especially considering the disabled and age limit.

If Kiev, in partnership with Russia, organized a poll for a month from now, in which ~70% attended and >50% were in favor of secession I'd be ecstatic to hear that the people of the region favor this solution. Unfortunately this recent poll doesn't appear to be robust to scrutiny.

81 % voter turn out... and the ppl that didn't want to join Russia were told to boycott the election so hence the 97% approval rating.

If you ever visited the area you'd know how different it is from the rest of Ukraine.

Nick@ferrarafirearms

Passed Driver's Ed
People in other countries with the right to vote actually go out and vote...

Ok, so obviously Obama is a puss in all of this, if you like him or not, he is a puss.

Putin is showing that he is a man and a leader, he is a bad man, but he is showing that he is a better leader than Obama. He whooped Bush Jr. also, just not nearly as bad, no where CLOSE to as bad as he is putting it on Obama.

Borders have been changing for as long as we had them, in what fantasy world do we live in where that is going to stop?

The US should not be the world police, there are lots of other things the government should not be doing, but we definitely should not be policing Eurasia.

Live and let live.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
81 % voter turn out... and the ppl that didn't want to join Russia were told to boycott the election so hence the 97% approval rating.

If you ever visited the area you'd know how different it is from the rest of Ukraine.

Ahh I'd forgotten about the boycott. But it's still all so unknown. Even if they did find a way to get 1.5million people to the polls, how were those counted? How were the votes reported? What kind of failsafes/tamper protections were used? How can we be assured that someone didn't misreport or organize a corruption of the polls?

I bet the people there want to secede, given the region's history. But I'd hate to see it written in stone on a hasty election like this.