GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cross country break in

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Am I crazy?

I'm hoping to take two to three weeks in August and possibly drive cross country and back.... I'm debating whether or not to purchase just in time for the trip. If so, I figure I can go ahead and break my car in on the way out and then fly up some nice coastal roads out west before heading back east. What a better way to get to know my new car than putting mucho mileage on it within a few week period.

Anyone think I'm nuts for going 2k miles away with a brand new car...far far from my dealership?

Just a thought...

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Anyone want to put me up for a night somewhere between the two coasts? Haha. I've got plenty of places to stay once I'm in Vegas and westward heading as far north as Seattle...but everywhere in between I'm going to be shelling out for hotel rooms. (If the trip even happens...)

Diggums

Go Kart Champion
Check out Hostels...great places to stay cheap and you get to meet some interesting folks along the way. :drinking:

Sounds like a great trip though! Dont worry about being away from the dealership...you can get your car serviced and any VW dealer.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
that's a great idea dude, road trips rule!

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Diggums said:
Check out Hostels...
I've done the hostel thing in Europe. I know they're not as common here in the States, usually restricted to larger cities. I might look into that though.

I'm liking the idea of taking it out and back more and more...I just hope a) I'm ready to buy by then; and, b) the 4 door/5 door have arrived by then.

bigdyno

I made a 3000km trip with mine at about 2000km, didn't have any problems (other than what later turned out to be loose subframe bolts, later tightened with no ill effects). It is a great car for putting on the miles, but take lots of cd's/mp3's and a fist full of gas money. I think you will enjoy it!

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I get to make a 2800 mile r.t. ride this coming Friday. I have to drive from here (Minneapolis) to Missoula, Montana to pick up a bunch of stuff that I left there after first semester (University of Montana)

I currently have 2600 miles, and will pretty much be doubling my mileage, but doing it at a speed of 80 mph+. I think if anything it will only make the car better, and hopefully bump up the average MPG a little.

I'll tell you how it treats the car when I'm back. Some good pictures will be coming too I'm sure.

bigdyno

MHS216 said:
I get to make a 2800 mile r.t. ride this coming Friday. I have to drive from here (Minneapolis) to Missoula, Montana to pick up a bunch of stuff that I left there after first semester (University of Montana)

I currently have 2600 miles, and will pretty much be doubling my mileage, but doing it at a speed of 80 mph+. I think if anything it will only make the car better, and hopefully bump up the average MPG a little.

I'll tell you how it treats the car when I'm back. Some good pictures will be coming too I'm sure.

Have a great trip! which way are you planning on going? IS 94?I drove from Alberta to Ontario five times in one year and went everywhich way. I found the best route along 2 from Shelby,Montana east to the upper peninsula in Michigan then back into Canada. Not alot to see, but lots of straight open (read fast) hiway. If you set and forget your cruise control, you should be able to get around 40 mpg.

I hope you stay clear of the 5-0 out there...

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I'll be taking 94 out of Minneapolis all the way to Billings, MT where I-90 comes in. I've made the drive 5 or 6 times now and seen 2 MT state troopers. I always seem to take it easy somewhat. I'm so used to seeing all sorts of cops every 3 miles on highways here.

Some of the mountain passes between Bozeman and Missoula are awesome for driving. I'll try to get some photos of me and the car from the top of the world!!

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
I wouldn't suggest it. Engine breakin is by far the most controversial topic on this forum, and most likely all forums. You'll hear that our Engines are broken in from the factory and should be run hard from day one, others stick with the safe method of going 1000miles shifting at various rpms and driving at different rpms.

The reason I would not suggest this would be the fact that you're probally going to be doing interstate driving most of the time and would be unable to vary rpms other then shifting from 5th to 6th and keeping it at either 3500-4000, or in the low 3's. I wouldn't suggest breaking in a brand new car this way, but its your car, and I'm sure other people will have opinions on this matter as well. This is just my .02.

UNCbigM

Autocross Champion
Not a bad point Hokie. My motorcycle was the last time and only time I've broken in a new vehicle and varying rpms and such is a good idea. I'm sure if I do have the car in time for the trip I'll have some time to at least begin to put a few miles on her before hitting the highway. If not...I might just have to purchase the Nav. and find some backroads to take for a while. Darn. :wink:

This is why I started the thread...to get various and hopefully varied opinions. Keep 'em coming.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
MHS216 said:

dude, your fuel economy is going to be great on that trip...i love driving out to montana :thumbsup: