GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Boat Salesman In Florida Colluding With Chicago, Sauce Level Rises In Deep Dish Pizzas

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
I would complain about glitchy web site if there was anyone to complain to. Past week it's been worse than usual. Jay I know it ain't your fault.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
I would complain about glitchy web site if there was anyone to complain to. Past week it's been worse than usual. Jay I know it ain't your fault.

That's probably just what he wants you to think.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
So my oldest kiddo is just learning how to drive. Currently, she mostly drives her own car, a 2003 Toyota Matrix with 164k miles that's somehow still in great shape mechanically. However, it's an auto. I want her to learn driving a manual, so I'm planning on getting her driving my GTI.
Any of you folks ever taught a kid how to drive a manual? I'm a little out of my league and could use some pointers.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
I know I benefited quite a bit from understanding how what I was doing worked -- once I understood that it kinda works like brakes but in reverse, it was a lot easier to understand what was supposed to happen. Eg. brake pedal squeezes everything together (pads & rotors), clutch pedal squeezes everything apart. Just like how you don't stomp on the brake pedal but rather ease into it to be smooth, you want to ease off of the clutch. Once that action is familiar the speed/fluidity of motion will come.

That's what worked for me, but everybody's different. Either way a fun time.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
How does the he who shall not be named tune compare to the apr that was on before?
car runs great, doesn't feel faster or anything (and i wasn't really expecting it to) however he mentioned having to pull 4 degrees of timing because either fuel filter, lack of hpfp (previous tune seemed to command for a hpfp due to requesting more fuel up top but the car doesn't have an upgraded hpfp) and spark plugs unknown age/condition. or a combo of all 3

riceburner

Autocross Champion
It's annoying. Cleaning the spam takes 3x longer every day because it glitches out
that REALLY sucks man. Just knowing how even getting in here to check up or post something and I gotta refresh the page sometimes multiple times. I can only imagine trying to delete 100 threads and spam users every day holy shit

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
So my oldest kiddo is just learning how to drive. Currently, she mostly drives her own car, a 2003 Toyota Matrix with 164k miles that's somehow still in great shape mechanically. However, it's an auto. I want her to learn driving a manual, so I'm planning on getting her driving my GTI.
Any of you folks ever taught a kid how to drive a manual? I'm a little out of my league and could use some pointers.
I taught my brother on our sim racing setup.

But if you don't have that, I'd suggest this method.
1. Find an open parking lot
2. Do some of the below steps while explaining to youngin what's going on
3. Switch seats with youngin
4. Clutch in, 1st gear, and then slowly release clutch til it starts biting and then clutch back in again (right foot is on brake during this, and don't worry about going to neutral each time). The idea here is that you are practicing how to stop so that you're confident for when you have to go.
5. Repeat step 4 a few times to get the hang of releasing and then going back in (instead of releasing clutch and then releasing all the way - stalling).
6. Now right foot off the brake and do it again, clutch in... start inching forward, and then help with a bit of gas to get moving (I don't suggest blipping, more so holding the gas at around 1500rpm which you can practice at a standstill in neutral). And then just focus on clutching back in + brake to stop.
7. Repeat step 6 to get the hang of that, maybe even take a turn in the parking lot while you're at it.
8. Now that you've got some of the stop and go muscle memory down, find a bit larger of a stretch of pavement and go from a standstill to first and second (self explanatory).
At this point it should be a natural progression from here, unlocking the rest of the gears and just practicing. I suggest that when slowing down you teach to go to neutral and act like it's automatic car (right foot just on brake) and then after the apex you pick the right gear (2nd, or 3rd) and then rev up a bit (right foot should have moved from brake to gas after the apex) to get the motor engaged with the drivetrain. Eventually you'd teach them how to downshift into the gear you want before the corner (highly recommend this because having the motor engaged to your drivetrain through a corner is a very good thing).

The only way the kid will improve is if they mess up to figure out what went wrong.
Pro tip: Show some positivity/excitement when they get moving. Do not be like my dad and get all frustrated if they stall it or do something totally wrong. Forget about your throwout bearing for the time being (it will take a bit of abuse).

GolNat

Autocross Champion

I teach people like my dad taught me. My first handful of lessons was just moving the car with the clutch back and forth in the driveway, no gas pedal. Once I was able to move the car with only the clutch (forward and backward) with ease and not thinking about it he had me add the gas pedal. First gear and into second around the neighborhood. This was before I was old enough to drive but once I got my permit I took out to the road and got into higher gears.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i say throw him in the drivers seat at a red light and start screaming at her when she stalls it

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Buy early 2000's Honda

Teach her on that.

????

Let her drive the GTI.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
I teach people like my dad taught me. My first handful of lessons was just moving the car with the clutch back and forth in the driveway, no gas pedal. Once I was able to move the car with only the clutch (forward and backward) with ease and not thinking about it he had me add the gas pedal. First gear and into second around the neighborhood. This was before I was old enough to drive but once I got my permit I took out to the road and got into higher gears.
I have too steep of a driveway for that, but I'm across the street from a school that has a nice, big, flat, empty parking lot!