GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Boat Salesman In Florida Colluding With Chicago, Sauce Level Rises In Deep Dish Pizzas

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
With the disclaimer that I haven't had a coffee yet, am I missing something? Mod list reads like just about any of the R build threads here. Car looks good but someone sure does love their Cricut.

Was talking about this with my barber yesterday. From what I've read, the guy/company that built and ran the sub specifically dodged safety inspections and certifications, and IIRC he also didn't design the submarine with jettisonable ballast nor enough positive buoyancy to breach the surface. It appears the submarine's design also lacked an emergency beacon and its corresponding "float to the surface" indicator buoy which is a key safety feature of every single other submarine out there.

A tether with a data cable would have been a good idea in that case. Show the Titanic off to billionaires from a short distance so that you don't get snared or, yanno, stranded on the bottom of the ocean with no way to call for help.

The search and rescue mission is because 1) we don't actually know it's at the bottom, it could have potentially "surfaced" (see above note) but was moved by ocean currents, and 2) there's a huge ocean going cultural thing to render whatever aid possible.

I'd be dangerous with a Silhouette, I hear with the newer Cricut you need to buy like fonts and stuff? Not sure, but either way it's a good thing I don't have ready access to a vinyl cutter. I'd make so much dumb shit. I've made some tshirt designs that I'm pretty proud of, and generally will write down ideas if something comes to me if I'm not near a PC.

Cheaping out on a submarine seems like a terrible idea, and I truly feel for the folks in there as well as their families. Everybody likes to shit on safety regulations, until something like this happens and could've easily been avoided/remedied by following basic shit.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Even if they weren't under water there was no way for them to open the sub and get themselves out or bring fresh air in. It's bolted shut from the outside.

Daks

Autocross Champion
With the disclaimer that I haven't had a coffee yet, am I missing something? Mod list reads like just about any of the R build threads here. Car looks good but someone sure does love their Cricut.

Was talking about this with my barber yesterday. From what I've read, the guy/company that built and ran the sub specifically dodged safety inspections and certifications, and IIRC he also didn't design the submarine with jettisonable ballast nor enough positive buoyancy to breach the surface. It appears the submarine's design also lacked an emergency beacon and its corresponding "float to the surface" indicator buoy which is a key safety feature of every single other submarine out there.

A tether with a data cable would have been a good idea in that case. Show the Titanic off to billionaires from a short distance so that you don't get snared or, yanno, stranded on the bottom of the ocean with no way to call for help.

The search and rescue mission is because 1) we don't actually know it's at the bottom, it could have potentially "surfaced" (see above note) but was moved by ocean currents, and 2) there's a huge ocean going cultural thing to render whatever aid possible.
Wouldn't we be able to locate them via some sort of radar if they were on the surface?

Just sounds very stupid to me, to go into this super shady vessel, without any contingency plan.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
The viewing window was only rated for a depth of almost 4300 feet, but the titanic is about 12500 feet deep. This guy haaaaated safety regulations.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Even if they weren't under water there was no way for them to open the sub and get themselves out or bring fresh air in. It's bolted shut from the outside.

Which was another bit of genius design.

Honestly I'm surprised there appears to be no "to operate an ocean touring company you must have XYZ safety" oversight. I'd look more into that if I didn't know it was going to frustrate me. Maybe the company is registered to a flag of convenience where they could dodge some safety stuff.

Wouldn't we be able to locate them via some sort of radar if they were on the surface?

Just sounds very stupid to me, to go into this super shady vessel, without any contingency plan.

I had read that the sub doesn't have enough buoyancy on its own to breach the surface which would mean it could be sitting 2ft under the waves and we'd never see it. Dunno if that's legit or not but 🤷‍♂️. Plus even if it could breach, I'm not sure airborne radars could detect the difference between the sub and the texture of surface waves.

Subsurface I think they are trying to use a combination of sonar and microphones.

Making things more difficult is the fact that the sub was built with composites and not steel, so the P-3 and P-8 MAD functionality is useless.

I think the thing imploded. They were toast a while ago.

If it had imploded, I would assume that the preexisting USN submarine detection microphone system would have picked that noise up. But maybe the sub was so small it wouldn't have registered.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
There was one guy that went on the sub once before. He said once they started having some complications "they shut off the internet so no one could tweet about it." I'm not sure how deep you'd get a signal though.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
giphy (55).gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Those poor bastards in the sub are most likely dead. What I don't understand is, if you're charging 250k per ride, that's 2m/trip, assuming pilot doesn't pay. Surely you can rent a boat with a 5km rope or something to attach to the sub. Now, I get it, there are dangers of said rope being entangled etc... But you can have a switch that releases the rope. It all seemed somewhat preventable. And then there's this big search and rescue mission that's costing millions, when in fact, there are no vessels that either Canada or the US have that can go down that deep that they could get there in time. And even if they did, these vessels couldn't tow it back. So then.... Why the search and rescue mission?
I have wondered what they'd even do if they actually found it.

You can't just throw some line down and drag it to the surface.

Those people were lost the second the ship went out of contact with the sub.