GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Car Modifications

inc55

Go Kart Champion
How would one get into modifying car interiors? I really love working with my hands and would love to create custom car interiors. Do I just approach one of these shops and seek employment? Is some kinda degree needed?

\w/

Ready to race!
modify your interior and show the owner / manager. They're gonna wanna see your work.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Can I borrow someone's Gti to practice on? Any volunteers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

\w/

Ready to race!
Buy a used Honda Civic or other popular young person car and fix up. Use it t show and then sell it to make some money. If others see the car they might also ask you to make more for them.

Everybody knows cars are money pits. You won't be able to make much money (if any at all) from buying, upgrading then selling a car. Do it for the love of the process / result, not hoping to make a profit.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Can I borrow someone's Gti to practice on? Any volunteers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt it man. Not trying to be rude or anything... but not sure many people will be willing to let you try on their car. Especially with the MK7 being a "new" car. Maybe hit up the Mk4 forums and stuff.

If you want to get practice in, hit up the junkyard and pick up some panels from various vehicles.

This will:

A) let you practice without ruining anything of high value.
B) allow you to have multiple samples to show various shops that you want to seek employment at.
C) you can always resale the trim pieces on Ebay or other forums. This would be a pretty easy way to churn a good business. This also reduces risk of you ruining anyone's stock trim pieces and having to buy new ones to replace them if you mess up.
D) you can do custom orders for specific patterns/designs/etc.
E) you can cater to different cars and not just a specific make/model.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Try an apprenticeship. Or maybe work at best buy for a while installing car stereo and video and stuff...that'll get you familiar with the interiors of many different automobiles and broaden your knowledge/scope. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Doubt it man. Not trying to be rude or anything... but not sure many people will be willing to let you try on their car. Especially with the MK7 being a "new" car. Maybe hit up the Mk4 forums and stuff.

If you want to get practice in, hit up the junkyard and pick up some panels from various vehicles.

This will:

A) let you practice without ruining anything of high value.
B) allow you to have multiple samples to show various shops that you want to seek employment at.
C) you can always resale the trim pieces on Ebay or other forums. This would be a pretty easy way to churn a good business. This also reduces risk of you ruining anyone's stock trim pieces and having to buy new ones to replace them if you mess up.
D) you can do custom orders for specific patterns/designs/etc.
E) you can cater to different cars and not just a specific make/model.

Thx for the advice. I was joking about trying it out on mk7's or anyone's car btw.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you're going to do custom seats and door panels, I can tell you this - it takes a lot of muscle.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nobody's gonna pay you to learn. You have to take it upon yourself and then once you've honed your skills maybe you can do it as a side job like they mentioned above. Get on vortex and some Facebook pages and offer services letting your previous work do the advertising. If you do quaility work people are willing to pay.

On that note starting a side bussiness takes a big investment on your part (time and money). I have a pretty decent market for my axle back exhausts here if you've seen the "muffler delete facts" thread. I've been doing such fabrication work for over a decade now (granted, on the side) and it shows. Between that and competitive pricing I have a market, the only problem being my lack of time right now. I'm hoping to start production runs around the first of the year but it will take a big commitment on my part (building the jigs, stocking material, shipping and billing, and the work of building several bolt on identical parts from scratch)