GOLFMKV

CWW's take on the Golf VI

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!

I like it. Aggressive and attractive!

http://www.cwwcardesign.com/

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
I think it needs more chrome, I mean afterall it IS going to be an $18,000 car.

WTF is the big obsession with chrome these days? Looks good on a luxury sedan, but has no place on an econbox. And by the sounds of things, the Golf is gonna be even more ECONO for the VI.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
omg....
chrome...
first thing im going to do when if i get that is get a crow bar and pull all the chrome off its shiny ass!

laserjock

Autocross Newbie
I like it. not a huge fan of the chrome as has been stated... but the overall look of that design is very nice.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
The way the picture looks to me is that the only chrome on the car is on the grille. The rest is just highly reflective blue-gray paint.

Well, maybe the wheels, too...

Dude123

Oval Champion
Beautiful design.

da_17

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you really think the MkVI golf will be worse than the MkV quality-wise? I've heard they want to make it cheaper to produce, but does it mean it will be a cheaper feeling car?

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
da_17 said:
Do you really think the MkVI golf will be worse than the MkV quality-wise? I've heard they want to make it cheaper to produce, but does it mean it will be a cheaper feeling car?
There will be costs cut in certain areas, I'm sure. I can't say for sure, though my faith in VW says that I should maintain hope.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Although that's a lovely design, don't rate on it being produced - VW are trying to cut costs by introducing the MkVI, and that image appears to have a lot of different shapes/contours in the panels (particularly the bonnet/hood and the doors) that are expensive to produce.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
da_17 said:

It's hard to say right now if the quality will suffer. Logically it makes sense though. VW is strapped for cash. If they have to cut the costs on producing the car, then usually in most cases that means the that they will have to cut some corners on quality.

Think of how stuff that is "hand-made" is usually desirable. A pair of shoes for example. To have some dude spend a couple hours stitching together the leather and all is going to be expensive, and in turn some of the cost to produce the item is going to have to be covered by the person buying the shoes. A company that can machine produce the shoes will be able to sell them cheaper, but sometimes the seams might be a little off, or there may be a little excess glue around the sole. Maybe not the best analogy, but I think it's on the right track.

Part of the reason that they MKV quality is so good, is because VW introduced robotic laser-welders. Notice how all the door seams are tight and there is no wiggle in the door, and all the bumpers fit tight. This was a very expensive move. Mix this with the fact that they are having trouble with the workers union, and laying off up to 20,000 workers in Europe.

Ahh this is a ramble. Anyway, because of all the reasons I listed above, my guess is that quality won't be quite what the MKV is. I am biased obviously since I own a MKV, and want to believe that quality is top-notch:biggrin:

da_17

Passed Driver's Ed
MHS216 said:
It's hard to say right now if the quality will suffer. Logically it makes sense though. VW is strapped for cash. If they have to cut the costs on producing the car, then usually in most cases that means the that they will have to cut some corners on quality.

Think of how stuff that is "hand-made" is usually desirable. A pair of shoes for example. To have some dude spend a couple hours stitching together the leather and all is going to be expensive, and in turn some of the cost to produce the item is going to have to be covered by the person buying the shoes. A company that can machine produce the shoes will be able to sell them cheaper, but sometimes the seams might be a little off, or there may be a little excess glue around the sole. Maybe not the best analogy, but I think it's on the right track.

Part of the reason that they MKV quality is so good, is because VW introduced robotic laser-welders. Notice how all the door seams are tight and there is no wiggle in the door, and all the bumpers fit tight. This was a very expensive move. Mix this with the fact that they are having trouble with the workers union, and laying off up to 20,000 workers in Europe.

Ahh this is a ramble. Anyway, because of all the reasons I listed above, my guess is that quality won't be quite what the MKV is. I am biased obviously since I own a MKV, and want to believe that quality is top-notch:biggrin:

Good points. I just hope they make it to cut costs without sacrifying too much quality.