GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Deciding to buy a fun used rwd car

MKV808

Ready to race!
First off let me say that this next car that I'm going to buy will not replace my GTI....simpliy it will be my DD so my gti can get some good deserving rest.

I live about 10 minutes away from a nice mountain road so this car will not only be my DD but a fun road car as well.

I have many choices to choose from so heres the list. Tell me if I'm missing out some cars.

My number 1 choice is a Mazda Miata. I really think these cars are underrated and most of my friends have 240sx, ae86, FC RX7, and a 2000 subaru wrx.

My second choice would be a older domestic, maybe a foxbody mustang or a camaro?

My third choice would be a ae86.

I'm really leaning towards a old school miata because I know they're fun and reliable. I'll be making my choice at the end of summer, until then I'll be having fun with my GTI :thumbsup:

Anyone have suggestions?

Si Killer

RIP BOVICE
miata if you don't give a fuck what people think of you.

MKV808

Ready to race!
I really don't lol

Si Killer

RIP BOVICE
i'd definitely get that then. really reliable and fun to drive, just unfortunately is considered a chick car.

MKV808

Ready to race!
i'd definitely get that then. really reliable and fun to drive, just unfortunately is considered a chick car.

Haha ya. I could care less though lol. Maybe I'll finally get around to teach my girlfriend how to drive a manual with teh miata.

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
Only problem w/Miata's is they are underpowered. But if it's just a DD, then who cares?

I would opt for a 240SX but it's probably hard to find one in good condition since ever Civic boy has bought one thinking he's the next drift king.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Miata.......

kc_08rabbit

ainokea, i dub how i like
the miata would be sick! find out about a bp turbo set-up and that should cure any power problems, and a miata really has some good handling thats waiting to be unlocked. any way good luck in da decision, kay shootz!

vdubin16

Ready to race!
i think the 240sx is a great choice. they are easy to find parts for and easy to mod(if your looking to do that)...and if you really wanna go crazy you could do an engine swap and BT

but if your looking for something to keep stock and play around with...why not bmw z3? they are pretty fun to drive

GTI787

Go Kart Newbie
miata with an sr20det :thumbsup:

vdubin16

Ready to race!

vdubin16

Ready to race!
what about a nissan 300zx?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
psh...try an LS1

I agree with Miata, and I agree with with a v8 swap, except maybe not an LS1. The SBC swap into the miata has been done and is reliable. An Ls1 would be a gross overpowering of what he really needs as a DD and up and down a mountain road. I'd opt for a 283. They are tried and true, very easy to work on and simple. You can pick up a core from a junk yard for 80-100 bucks.Ls1 prices have skyrocketed. All the bracketry and front cross memeber has all been worked out for you. Miata shell + solid built 283ci V8 + 700r+your choice of rear ends = RWD reliable, mid ranged horsepower sports car, thats most definatly NOT a chick car. A proper paint job, set of weels and the right exhaust and the miata is a whole different animal. Stacey David formerly of "TRUCKS!" on TNN and later Spike TV did one on GEARZ for ESPN. Came out EXCELLENT! It was on a resonable budget, was somthing you could do in your own garage, and definatly be an awesome project.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
add flared fenders and big tires.... My big cam ls6 did ok with 295 azenis on it and it weighed about 2500 lbs in my rx7. Maybe a milder lsx with some 255 under those flares would be ok.